General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chows in a motel

Post by gebower »

Hi Everyone,
For what it's worth, I researched online, motels that will take large dogs, and was amazed at how many do. We will be traveling over 2000 miles WITH our two Chows and this was a big concern. There is a sight that researches this and posts all the motels that will take dogs as well as large dogs. I never knew this. They mention that dogs over 70 lbs. are rated as large dogs, which certainly includes Chows. Motel 6 only takes "one well-behaved dog". I'd love to tell them that I don't have a dog, I have Chows!

Gene.
Gene
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Chows in a motel

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The main thing with Chows and Motels is to get a room away from the front entrance and the coke machines, in other words avoid a room around human traffic or you will be up all night. You talk about a guard duty a Chow is at its best in a motel room.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Yes, I wanted to take my dogs down to Destin, Fla, so that I could take them to the beach. I was thinking we might find a nice hotel and, you are right Jeff, I was thinking far away from everything and everyone. Cause my Mia will be on guard for everything.
Mia
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe has stayed in alot of motels I never have to worry about the vibrating bed, with Pekoe's low rumble growl all night the floor and bed vibrate like hell.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Hee, hee - that's funny. Mia has this low, throaty growl that sounds terrifying and it goes on forever. Kind of like chow chow purring. Only, she doesn't sound happy. She could definately keep that room vibrating all night long. And, God forbid a leaf had the temerity to blow by the door - she would bark and growl until the leaf had the good sense to blow further away!
Mia
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh thanks Jonathan, that sounds a little big for us. I am thinking just a small room. My Christmas present to myself and Mia and Chutters is that we are donating a large amount to our local rescue. So, I am going to be thrifty on our trip. Thinking of just a small room. I originally had the idea of getting the pooches bunches of squeeky toys and stuff, but you know what, they don't need them. They have plenty of toys and sometimes I get too crazy getting them stuff. I thought that all of us enjoying some time together would be better.
Mia
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I always take crates when we're travelling. Otherwise the lie by the door & growl / woof at everything & anything all night! Drives me insane :evil: Crated however, they do great :D As for Motel 6. I admit to one & sneak in one :roll:
Thank you Elodie!
Bear's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bear's Mom »

I want to go to NC this weekend and I'm trying to find a motel/hotel that will take Bear, he's around 50lbs or less...so far I have a few places, but the advice on getting a room back away from human, traffic, etc. Cuz I know he'll growl and bark at every little noise.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

We liked the Sheraton in Cleveland, our room was on the ground floor. Also, when we stayed at the Days Inn, we had 2 animals, and got the suite, which still only had one bed, but had a kitchenette and living area. That one was at the end by the stairs, and there was no traffic.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I found that alot of motels/hotels will say ok if they see the Chow, I stayed in alot of motels and hotels in tahoe every weekend winter and summer i always took Pekoe in the lobby with me and asked do you take dogs? "oh how cute, we don't take dogs but she's a cutie she will be fine. It works in stores and shopping malls also. Just don't ever mention the word Chow, She's a cutie quickly turns to Chow!!! not a chance.

ImageImage
Bear's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bear's Mom »

Good advice...my dog is german shepard mix...not a chow(don't open your mouth, Bear!).
debraschow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by debraschow »

John and I unfortunately (fortunately) travel a lot. Before Milo we had a woman that had the most awesome boarding kennel (stream with trout, a stream level deck, and 30acres of walking trails and a waiting list a mile long but once you got on the list um hmmmm, it was golden) but somehow with Milo, we started researching Dog Friendly Hotels/Motels. Number one if you can get into Drury it is awesome, number 2 Red Roof is great, Number 3 Holiday inn used to be number one but changing, we have stayed at Staybridge which is great cause it has a full kitchen which saves on the take out/dining but $75 deposit.

Debra and Milo
Debra: Hobo and Milo's Mom
Banner by Sweetpea!
Bear's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bear's Mom »

We found a little cabin that's on 8 acres to stay, Bear's gonna love it!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

With all the dog owners out and about now a business couldn't afford not to except dogs, even the major hotels like Hurrahs and the big chains are allowing dogs, you can't keep the dog in your room but they provide kennels in the hotels, getting them in your room depends on how much you bribe the person checking you in. Do you think they are going to lose all that gambling and vacation money over a dog, nope, Now its "We love dogs bring them on your trip". even the management companies have lowerd their restrictions on dogs in Apartments, they even raised their weight restrictions. Way to much money lost rejecting the canine.

I don't know if many people know it but Disneyland and alot of the amusement parks have always had kennels but as always, avoid the word Chow when lodging a Chow.

ImageImage
Bear's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bear's Mom »

I can always use the word Shepherd when I describe my dog, most people love them...
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Gene wrote : Motel 6 only takes "one well-behaved dog".

Trust me on this one, I had 2 there and one was umm...a prima donna. They must have changed their policy.