Meant To Be??? Or Terrible Mistake??? Teachers

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Meant To Be??? Or Terrible Mistake??? Teachers

Post by vicster605 »

HATS OFF TO YOU TEACHERS!!!! =D= =D= I NEVER thought at this point in my life I would find myself trying to help little people do homework everyday......but now I have figured out WHY I never thought I would make a good teacher......its called PATIENCE!!! :lol: :lol: I DON'T HAVE ANY!!!! :lol: :lol:
Doing homework with a 5 yr old who I'm sure has ADHD who has at the very least 2 pages front and back of homework each day along with flash cards of every letter in the alphabet expecting them to know the beginning sounds of each letter, and how to write each letter big and small during the first semester of school. A Blue Ribbon School....what ever that means :evil: OMG!!! I have to take xanax to get thru this part of the day.....Is this NORMAL SCHOOL WORK for Kindergarden????
Have a 7 yr old who has twice that in homework not as bad as the Kindergardener....thank God for small favors.
HOW DO YOU DO IT????? I try very hard not to yell and be patient but GEEEEEEEZ!!!!
How can they expect a child that has never been to school before to learn all of this??? They are expected to be able to read by the end of this yr. My grand-son was held back in Kindergarden when he came here and went to school there for 11 days.....the difference from Hawaii Schools and this one. They were doing ABC's & 123's in Hawaii. So he did 2 yrs in kindergarden. The they moved to Ms. and back to the ABC's & 123's LOL!!!
My daughter could only find a job working evenings 3:00-12:30 MN.....so I keep the baby who is now 6 mos, 5 yr old, & 7 yr old and she picks them up after work. Am trying to get paid for this thru Child Care Assistance......bunch of crap....but my daughter qualifies. The kids need coats, and warm uniforms etc. so I would use this to for them which I have been paying for.
I've NOW been offered a job to go with this as a PRN School Nurse working with the 5 RN's in our parish (county for those that don't know what a parish is) I applied....first job I ever applied for and really didn't want LOL!!!!
I think I have the job.....am pretty sure of it as they have called all of my references and said I was the one they were considering for the job. Probably helps that I worked there before and know 2 of the School Nurses :roll: One of which called and kinda begged for me to apply since I would be working mostly with her or for her.
Hours 7am to 2:30
Best pay I've ever had
I can be home for the baby by 3:00 and the bus for the other two.
My initial response to this is NO WAY I CAN DO THIS......I will probably be working full time hrs at the school covering for 5 nurses and helping out etc. One is going to be having back surgery soon.
On second thought......I can hire someone to clean my house :idea: .......can let the kids stay for homework assistance at school for 7 dollars a day WORTH $30 per day for the 5 yr old :idea: LOL!!! Hummmmmm I would have money again and Kyra needs hip surgery..........Maybe be the answer to my prayers....a break......with pay??? Or a horrible mistake??? What do you think??? All I know is my life sucks....cooking, cleaning, taking care of 3 kids, 3 dogs and a 3200 sq ft house.
What I keep thinking is......WHERE in the world would I have found a job that I could keep my grandkids AND work???? Most nursing jobs don't have these hours. Why would this position come up here close to home if I wasn't supposed to work there??? God I hope someone isn't trying to kill me off :lol: :lol: Don't know if you guys will miss me but I'm pretty sure Kearra & Kyra will :cry:

Thanks Sweetpea!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Meant To Be??? Or Terrible Mistake??? Teachers

Post by pfordeb »

Unfortunately, yes, kids are supposed to read by the end of first grade. Can't say I agree with it, and I don't know if it matters in the long run because reading ability levels off by about the 3rd grade, but whatever. If you really suspect ADD, contact the kids' pediatrician. There are forms to complete by the teacher, you, mom, the doctor etc. Then someone, the doctor or a psychologist, will compare the surveys everyone completes and make the diagnosis. It's pretty subjective, just a series of behaviors to look for. Then the doctor or whoever can decide the best course of treatment if that's what it turns out to be.

As for your job, I say do whatever you want. Any possibility it could be part-time or hours you could choose? Actually, as a school nurse you will see alot of ADD and/or ADHD, because your big job will be dispensing meds. It's not all band-aids and barf bags anymore.

Oh, getting kids to do homework, is pretty much like any kind of training. Reward, reward, reward. If it's really a struggle, start with 5 minutes of homework for 5 minutes of TV or video games or whatever. Then go to 10 minutes homework for 5 minutes of the reward. or do one page of homework for the reward, whatever works. Make sure you have plenty of chocolate too -- YOU'RE gonna need it :lol:
courtsey of Sweetpea
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Conner just went into first grade the homework sounds normal is it a private School? Private schools pile it on they want the kid ready for Collage by the time they get into 6th grade.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I taught Kindergarten for 17 years before moving to second grade. I feel that is WAY too much homework for Kindergarten, but I know the trend is going in that direction, even here in the sticks. I was glad to get out of Kdg. for that reason (and I also got tired of classes of 25, 26, 27 Kdg. students with no help!). I never gave homework in Kindergarten. Push, push, push seems to be the thing now, whether they're ready or not.
The job sounds like a good one. Good luck with whatever you decide!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Deb, they want them to read by the end of Kindergarden not first grade. Not a private school just a Blue Ribbon Public School. They run it like the Military.....can't talk in the class room, bath room, lunch room or hall oh and lets not forget the bus. For Cailey the 5 yr old who actually talks in her sleep.....well she gets in trouble ALOT :lol: :lol:She comes off the bus like a spring someone pushed down and let go of LOL!!!! The uniforms have to have their logo on the shirts, jackets, coats etc, they get sent home if they don't have on a belt.....and if they can't afford the jacket with the school logo on it they have to remove it before entering the school door. Last yr they even had certain socks they had to wear. :roll: No sense in paying for private school when the public one is considered so good.....after Primmary, Private School is better so the first 5 yrs are great in Public here in our parish.
I wasn't sure if the school evaluated the kids or who actually did, will tell Mommy to talk to Cailey's Pediatrian Thanks Debbie......she really is stuggling and I know its not her fault she can't sit still or stop talking or concentrate. #-o
The job could be part-time at times I'm sure.......meds aren't a problem as I have 16 yrs experience with them LOL!!! We have a nursing home for children here in our parish so we have the children from there coming out to go to school.....when I worked there before I worked in Special Ed with 6 trach kids who were in my opinion VERY VERY ill children, they all had disease processes going on, all had feeding tubes, as they say Profoundly retarded but Profoundly is putting it mildly.....the nursing home would send them out regardless of how the child was doing to get a break from the kids and before me working there they had NOBODY (medically trained) in the school as the School Nurses here have 2-3 schools and were seldom there.....it was SCAREY for the kids. I even had to call an ambulance to come and get one of the kids because I couldn't get anyone from the nursing home to come and pick him up.....he was admitted to the hospital and didn't return to school that yr. I quit because the Special Ed Director hired me at one salary and then before getting my 2nd pay check called me out into the hall and said we can't pay you what we agreed upon and said that we are going to pay you $400 less a month :twisted: I took a huge cut in pay to work there to start with, and so I gave my notice.....why in the world would I work for less than a Nursing Assistant makes full time when I could work 2 days a week and make twice what I was being paid. This time the Nursing Dept is paying me agency pay and I will be working for them as opposed to Special Ed. =D=
I don't know....as they say......if its meant to be......either that or I have ANOTHER lesson to learn :roll:

Thanks Sweetpea!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Oops -- meant to say kindergarten for reading, not first grade. Too little sleep and too much chocolate yesterday.

"Blue Ribbon School" is a designation started nationally like 15ish years ago. There are criteria that have to be met, but schools essentially nominate themselves, so they wouldn't nominate themselves if they hadn't met the criteria. Actually, it's a good thing that a school even realizes they can get recognized and they do try to continue to meet the standards.

However, the concentration camp I just left was a "blue ribbon school." No talking in the halls, cafeteria ,etc. Public School. However, someone forgot to tell them that acting inappropriately, like talking, is part of having autism (I tried but they didn't want to listen). It's like telling LeBron James he can't play basketball because he's tall. Sort of sounds like prejudice and intolerance to me. Not being able to do something which your physical make up commands you to do. That's like telling me I can't eat chocolate because I'm fat -- OK, not quite like that, but that sets me off too. Anyway, a kid with ADD or ADHD, is just acting the way their body makes them, and teachers can learn to accomodate that. Drugs can help, but other changes need to happen too.

Oh, and that no talking thing is not part of being a blue ribbon school, nothing in the criteria. To me, it's just the opposite. If there's talking going on, there's learning happening. Even socializing is part of the learning process. One of the reason kids with autism have a hard time learning is no social skills. Can't learn things from other people so they stay in their own safe worlds.

So that's my opinion on the school thing, and sounds like you're well prepared for the job thing, Vicki. Maybe you could also tell them you have a bunch of other obligations so you'll take it on a trial basis. Sometimes quitting a job is as much fun as starting a job :shock:
courtsey of Sweetpea
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I agree with you Debbie, when I first heard where all they COULDN'T talk......I said the same thing....I thought part of going to school was learning to socialize and aren't alot of lessons children learn from each other???? Like sharing, making friends, playing together, being polite etc.
I asked WHY no talking at lunch and would you believe they told me that one of the kids had choked at lunch so now theres NO TALKING #-o OK so slap me and call me stupid........but isn't the universal SIGNAL for choking grabbing ones throat???? When someone is choking isn't it true that you can't get air in so you CAN'T make a sound???? Shouldn't someone be watching the kids to make sure they aren't making the signal......and turning blue LOL!!! Kinda like me telling the kids swimming in my pool not to yell for HELP unless they really needed it......when in reality if someone were drowning they simply slip under the water and NEVER make a sound much less yell for help.
I did enjoy quiting the job last time I worked there to tell you the truth :lol: :lol: Heard the Special Ed. Director was at another school BRAGGING he had gotten a practical nurse to work for so little LOL!!! I heard that from one of the Nurses so I HAD to prove my point and I did enjoy every minute of it :lol: :lol: I never quit my last job so it was a matter of a phone call and I was back at the other job and he was left standing there with his mouth open :lol: But I'm alot like you when I don't agree with the way things are run I won't stay and be a part of it........My Hats Off to you Deb, for having standards and principals and for doing what you have done for all these yrs. =D= =D=

Thanks Sweetpea!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Yeah, no talking in the cafeteria is BS code for children should be seen and not heard.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Take the job. If it does not work out, quit. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! Oh, and since you will be part of the work force, in addition to taking care of the children, get a maid for twice a week, and take advantage of the after-school homework helper. The biggest mistake you can make is spreading yourself too thin!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Ha! I like that Auddymay, I may have to borrow that..easy, peasy, lemon squeezy!
Mia
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

We live in the middle of nowhere too, and both my daughters were reading in Kindergarten. They both went to preschool and my youngest will too when she is old enough. Mine all knew their sounds, colors, numbers and letters before Preschool. My 8 year old comes home with 5-7 pages of homework a day and my 6 year old comes home with usually 3-6 pages. They finish their homework before they are allowed to go and play, but when they are done, they can play for as long as they like. My kids also have to read for a minimum of 30 minutes a day, my oldest usually reads longer as she loves to read, where my middle one usually does her 30 and she is done.
I am actually glad to see the curriculum going up in this school. My kids have been taught from very young and I would be upset for them to spend so many hours in school to be bored because they know it all already. So, we were lucky that our school teaches the children based on their own individual levels. My oldest is in 3rd grade but is reading at a much higher level, so they let her read pretty much what she wants, where as another child in her class cannot read very well, so she is given easier books to read.
Our school has taken on a "bully free" signature, and in doing that, they feel the best way to turn a childs behaviour from bullying, is to be persuant in other activities. So it has become large in non competitive relays for the children, where they earn little rubber feet for how many miles they run during their recesses (my oldest has run 25 miles thus far :mrgreen: ) they learn to be proud of themselves as well as keeping themselves healthy.

I think it is time for kids to start having to learn more and start paying attention to what is happening around them.... it is an important time, and they will be our future.... I hope we can have a better educated future then we have a past.
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I got the phone call this afternoon and I have the job.....sure hope its easy, peasy, lemon squeezy :lol: :lol: With the maid and homework helper it really should be much easier no matter how you look at it LOL!!! And the dh will be happy I've got my own money LOL!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Congrats on the job. I wish I had a job... hmm. Maybe.

About the school, sounds like a classroom in China. Stifling, dead silent.
Hire that maid and send the kids to a fun after-school program where they can talk to their hearts content.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Congrats on the new job Vicki!!! My hat's off to all you teachers. That's a tough job and one I wouldn't want to take on. =D=
chris

Post by chris »

OFF SUBJECT........

VICKI.... THEY HAVE STOLLEY'S ON T.A.P. IN NEW ORLEANS........ BE THERE IN A JIFFY!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ (tap? tab? ... what ever.. you know what I'm saying... hehehehe)
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

LOL Chris O:)

Thanks Sweetpea!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Congratulations Vicki -- worth checking out.

By the way, my maid is named Forrest. Isn't that what husbands are for?
courtsey of Sweetpea
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I never could get mine trained Deb :cry: He was great at it before we got married......guess I spoiled him and I can't get him to REMEMBER how to do it again :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I would take it for this reason. One of the girls will need surgery and this will help pay for it or pay for most of it. You will have earned the money so dh will have nothing to say. If it is horrible, you will have earned some towards the cost and could quit, if you like it then you can earn money for a nest egg for the next hurricane.

David

ps. Aren't i too practical
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Did you know that most kids that are diagnosed with ADHD or ADD actually have sleeping disorders. Lack of good quality sleep results in unruly childer who cannot concentrate. Poor children :(. ADD/ADHD is just easier diagnose and then "treat".
ImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Made it the first week on the job and I hate to say this out loud but soooooo far I LOVE IT!!!! Have 2 more orientation days at 2 different schools then the RN's are already fighting over who is going to use me in their place and when LOL :lol: :lol: Nice to be needed and appreicated :D :D
Helped with mass eye screenings on ALL 5th & 7th graders :D That was interesting, the nurses set up on the stage in the gym and they all filed through, learned how to operate the eye screening machine and even did a few eye checks by myself :wink: Nice to be around some grown ups these days \:D/
Princess that wouldn't surprise me in the least lil' bit.......Cailey is pretty bad and needs to be evaluated but don't know where we will go from there. So far she isn't passing in school and I think she just CAN"T pay attention or be quiet. #-o Now me on the other hand #-o I'm POSSITIVE my lack of concentration is because of my lack of sleep.......wish I knew how to get more, I wake up at least 3 times a night so all I get is broken sleep and not much of it

Thanks Sweetpea!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

For grownups, there's Ambien or Ambien CR.

The weird thing for kids with ADD or ADHD, sometimes stimulants have the opposite effect on them, and they actually can sleep better, but a doctor would have to determine that.

Glad to hear the new job is going well, and good luck with everything.
courtsey of Sweetpea
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

As a nurse I am not fond of Ambien. It tends to work for less than 1/2 my patients taking it. And even for the ones it does work for, if they are awakened during the night they tend to be disoriented or confused and have great difficulty returning to sleep. Admittedly, many of my patients are over 80 and it may work fine on the majority of younger people.

But the first pharmacological sleeping aid I would recommend is Benedryl. It works wonders for many and since its sleep inducing property is actually a side effect of an antihistamine, it can actually improve the ability to breathe in those suffering from allergies.

Getting up at the same time every single day and going to bed at a reasonable hour are also helpful in dealing with insomnia and sleep deprivation. It's not a habit that most of us learn but research has proven it to be more helpful than most pharmaceutical sleep aids.

For those who can't sleep because the mind races when they lay down, a recording of something you find soothing can help. Wear headphones if it bothers your partner. Some subjects found music worked, others nature sounds such as wind, rain, and still others a soothing voice leading them through relaxation exercises.

Developing a bedtime ritual can be helpful, as well. Whether it's a cup of tea, a few pages of a good book, praying, or brushing the chow(s), anything you do every night just prior to retiring helps you to wire your brain to sleep after that activity.
(One exception: vigorous exercise just prior to retiring tends to have the opposite effect and increase wakefulness).
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Haha -- you are totally right about ambien and the suggestions for better sleep. I actually went to a sleep clinic last summer and that is exactly what they said. I am probably a lost cause, because they did prescribe Ambien CR on top of all the other things. The CR version works better for me because it helps me stay asleep and not wake up groggy. However, in changing insurance, they will only cover Ambien, which does make me groggier. I have to take it 12 hours before I want to get up (whereas the CR version works for 8). I've had insomnia my whole life and at my "life stage," it's gotten to the point where I don't sleep. I love to think of myself as a young 56!!! When I'm 80 I plan to sleep when I want, eat what I want and maybe even start smoking and go back to drinking!!!

Anyway, Vicki, hope you're sleeping better now that you're in a routine. Benedryl can help, in fact that is what many regular doctors recommend, but if you're a zombie like me, you might want to go for Ambien CR.
courtsey of Sweetpea
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Well, my Primary won't and doesn't like to give Ambien so I'm just out of luck there. :roll: The Benadryl does work for me BUT I stay groggy with the Benadryl hangover so to speak almost half the next day.
Here's a funny Benadryl story for ya Chow Fancier......since your a nurse, I used to work nights so sometimes I would take Benadryl to go to sleep when I had trouble sleeping during the day. One evening and I didn't realize the effect was still with me LOLI hit the fence when I went to back out the drive way and it caught my bumper and tore it off.....just happened to be Thanksgiving and some of the family was still here when I had to leave for work so I was not only embarssassed to go to work without my bumper but the entire family ran out into the driveway to see what the heck the noise was all about :oops: Can anyone say COFFEE!!!!
Then one other time I made it to work, got off the elevator and couldn't figure out WHY I couldn't punch in (time clocks on each floor)I went to go in the Nurses station to see what the problem was with the time clock???? And went around the corner into a patients room :shock: :shock: What the heck????? THEN I realized I was on the WRONG FLOOR!!!! No more Benadryl for me :oops: :lol: :lol: Again ummmm COFFEE!!!! I don't like Benadryl or should I say it doesn't like me????

Thanks Sweetpea!