Talk about wierd behavior....

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chris

Talk about wierd behavior....

Post by chris »

Have I mentioned this to you guys before?

Steel has issues with things out of place.

Example A: Broom is left in the hall way... it is laying down accross the hall way... Steel, will NOT walk over it or around it. Kinda like he thinks its going to jump up and bite him. Heck, I don't need a "doggie gate" just put something there that isn't supposed to be there. He won't cross it.... :lol:

Example B: We just finnished up the guest bathroom. Before, it had a few layers of different flooring that you could see. Steel WOULD NOT walk on it. He would not cross the thresh hold into the bathroom. But now, now that it is all finnished and it has 1 floor that looks all the same he walks in with no problems.

Example C: if the door is kinda open but he cant fit through it... he will NOT push the door open more so he can come in... he waits for you to open the door all the way....

SILLY CHOWS! :-)
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Talk about wierd behavior....

Post by jacqui »

LOL,Chris. Chyna is the same way,I leave my apt. door ajar so she can open it when she comes up the stairs and when she gets to the door I get one LOUD 'WOOF' and I'm suppose to run and OPEN the door for your highness :roll:
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Oh my gosh, you should see Gracie!
Example: Laundry basket is in front of washer (the washer is in the kitchen). I say "lets go for a walk". Gracie stands there looking at me but refuses to move. I grab the leash, repeat myself, she stands there looking at me. I continue to try to get her to come on, she wont budge. So I think something is wrong, this just isnt like her to not try to knock me over getting to the door! I hurry over to her as I say in a panic to my husband "something is wrong with Gracie!" The problem? The laundry basket was out of place! It didn't belong there.

Example: We walk down town, one of the doors is propped open of a store. Gracie jumps off the sidewalk onto the parking lot walking quickly while never taking her eyes off of that opened door. Princess you may ask, tries to walk into the store, after all the door is open, that is them welcoming her to come inside. :D

Example: We are walking down the street when we come to a section with a large black plastic bag laying across the sidewalk. Princess, she walks over it, oh well, she doesn't care. Gracie? Puts the brakes on and will not go across it! It does not belong there, she will not walk there. We have to leave the sidewalk to walk totally around it. The entire time she is quick, never takes her eyes off of it and is extremely suspicious of that plastic bag on the sidewalk.

Oh I could go on and on with the stories of Gracie and things that are out of place.

So yeah, Gracie is a bit odd too.
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Loha ALWAYS partitions his kibbles into little piles of 10 each and immediately eats any leftover less than 10. He then walks around the piles, clockwise, while appearing to be muttering something under his breath. He will do that endlessly until I finally flick him in the head with my finger. Like a cd that gets stuck in a loop, that knocks him out of it and he then paws all the kibbles into one big pile, spits on the pile 15 times, walks backwards around the pile, counterclockwise, 3 times and proceeds to eat the kibble, one at a time, chewing each piece 7 times. But I figured all Chows did that.

Loha's Dad
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

ok so i'll have to admit it but my two fall into the weird category as well.lol.
example: they WILL NOT jump overor crawl under the wire from the fan in my bedroom. its only about 8 to 10 inches off the floor.i could sit on the other side of it dangling a side of beef and they will just stop short. weirdos.lol.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Considering its all the Chows that are clean freaks and want things put away or back where they belong I would say that makes the owners strange and weird not the Chow.

Pekoe is the same way nothing can change and the house is supposed to be clean, a partially open door means I open it if I'm not there then she will open it with out me. Same with the dog door, if i'm not around no problem, in and out all day and night but if I'm around, open the door i'm not using that dog thing.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Mally
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mally »

Oh Lychee is just the opposite, i mean she will always notice any changes but she has to go and appropriately investigate them! :D It cracks me up.
Example: pillow fell from a couch and is in the middle of the room- Lychee: "what the hell is that and how did it get in here! Hey you! (snort snort) What are you?! (more snorting) I'm coming over there! Don't move!

Also when there is a a door a little open she will push her big head to get through to see who or what migt be inside :lol: Once I was having a shower and left the bathroom door slightly open. I wasn't feeling too good so I sat down on the shower floor and let the water run down my back. Suddenly I felt like someone is watching me :shock: I turned around frightened just to end up face to face with a huge Chow face!!!!!! Needless to say I let out a horrific scream and Lychee ran out of the bathroom :lol: :lol: She stayed around though...when I got out of the shower i could still see the same face watching me through the crack in the door :lol: :lol:
Lisa_D
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lisa_D »

It is funny how they can be so weird!! Bear is the same way however since getting the bulldog as his friend, he started opening doors the rest of the way, sometimes, not all the time! We have 2 steps coming from the kitchen into the living room and he will walk up them backwards. The only time he walks up them is when he is really excited about something and forget himself, he will go up them frontwards.
He also will not step over things either.
He does weird things with his food. He used to bury pieces in different places. He doesn't do that so much anymore but he does take a mouth full of food and he will come spit it out in front of me, throw a couple pieces up in the air, roll on it and then eat it. He is a nut! He also cries if he hears a squeaky toy. Even if it is on TV he will cry when he hears it. I don't know if you had seen that commercial awhile ago for a sweeper but they had squeak toy noises whenever they would move the sweeper. Poor Bear would cry whenever it came on and Bluto would run around looking for it! I am glad they don't show it anymore!

Awesome banner compliments of Sweetpea, Thank you!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Ha! funny about the half open door thing.

Mia will absolutely NOT go through a partially open door.
Chutty is a bulldozer and would try to go through a closed door if he were so inclined. Silly boy!
Mia
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I love chows craziness. It gives them character!!! This week Butters has started a new thing with his food bowl. He will approach slowly, lean in, give a little growl, stomp the paw, then back away. He will then approach from the opposite side and beging eating. #-o He cracks me up :D
SweetPea Rocks!!
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

yup,mine are like that and Chey ten times worse than Cinnamon.
If I accidentally leave the broom by the pantry door they will not go into the pantry to eat.If I put the broom back where it's supposed to be,in the pantry much closer to their food bowl than when I leave it by the door,same broom is not scary anymore.
Cinnamon does not want to walk on wet ground (good thing it rains only twice a year in Georgia :cry: ) and she hates it when I put new hay down in the yard (since it only rains twice a year grass won't grow )
They won't step over a power cord even if it is flat on the floor.
I don't think it's just Chows though,one of my poodles had a treshold fobia for years.
And the other one lines up her food and makes piles as well,like to entertain herself.
And the cat leaves 10 pieces in his bowl even if I forget to feed him,he'll cry for food,but those ten pieces are there.
Maybe we just have a taste for crazy pets?
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

The Gilbert chronicles have been mentioned many times -- among other things -- I do call him the re-decorator.

The people across the street from us had a dog who would not walk on wood and they had all wood floors and the poor thing had to go down wood steps to get to their yard. The put strips of carpet around so it could walk. His name was Murphy and he was friends with Sullivan. They have now established an Irish Pub on the Rainbow Bridge called Sullivan and Murphy's.

PS -- I got one of those fancy brushes like a shed ender or furminator (forget which) to try and get rid of the mats before Sullivan died. We used it on Gilbert and Charlie about a week ago. Charlie loves to be brushed, but Gilbert ... well he's Gilbert. I've been looking for it for about a week. Hmmm, probably the re-decorator in action.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

About six months ago we bought a Cowhide to use as a rug in our living room. Well Henry refused point blank to enter the room as there was this humongous thing on the floor. After a couple of days he decided that protecting me was more important so started to come in the room - he would not - even for the promise of cheese allow any part of himself to touch the rug.

We have laminate floor and when Henry was a chowling we tought him to chew chewy things on a 'mat'. Henry will not go outside if it's raining unless absolutely necessary. One night it was raining, Henry got a chew, he wouldn't take it outside and he ran around drooling with his chew, in complete despair - the cowhide is where his 'mat' would have been. I just told him to take it to the 'mat'. Henry made friends with the mat that night and now likes to sleep with his face on it.
Thank you Sweatpea
debraschow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by debraschow »

Our Hobo who passed last year would circle 3 times in front of his food dish before he ate.
Milo eats a mouthful, drinks, eats a mouthful, drinks, eats a mouthful, drinks

Milo and Hobo have the same plodding on the paths that Hobo made, they go so slow, it is really weird to watch and as Milo gets older I see more and more Hobo in him (or maybe that is what I want to see)

Hobo being blind, anything he could put his head against and move he did. Milo seems timid and unless the door is open enough, he will whine till it is to his specifications.

Speaking of whining, I can't remember Hobo ever whining, but Milo will definitely complain or whine when things are not to HIS HIGHNESS'S specification. Hobo did not have any airs about him, but Milo does.

Deb and Milo
Debra: Hobo and Milo's Mom
Banner by Sweetpea!
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Gab has no weird behaviours.... but yet again.. except for extra large items, things in my house are all over the place at all times, I think she got used to the chaos :shock: .. and she will also bulldoze through anything, she doesn't like closed or partially closed doors...

Her only thing is the sun reflexion from our side door on the fence and it makes light bunnies everywhere when you open it. I swear she will be sleeping when I wake up and not want to move but as soon as she hears me open the screen door she's up and plowing through the house to chase the light bunny.. and will looks for it on a cloudy day, it's really sad to watch actually hahaha i feel bad that her light friend isn't there...
ImageImage