Poor chow at the pound :(

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Poor chow at the pound :(

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I always just type in Chow. No telling what you will come up with if you type dangerous breed that could be humans also. If your lookking for a Chow rescue in Canana just type in Chow Chow rescues in canada or Chow Chow rescues what ever city you live in, you will get a whole list of Chow rescues in the area.

I think this is Canada

http://search.petfinder.com/shelterSear ... &preview=1

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/canada.htm

These Canadian animal shelters often have Chow Chows and Chow mixes for adoption:

Calgary, Alberta: The Calgary Humane Society 430-250-7722
British Columbia Society For Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Cranbrook, B.C.: The Cranbrook SPCA 250-426-6751
Kamloops, B.C.: The Kamloops Branch of the BC SPCA 250-376-7722
Mission, B.C.: The Mission Animal Control Shelter 604-826-4496
New Westminster: The Royal City Humane Society 604-524-6447
Richmond, B.C.: The Richmond SPCA 604-277-6212
Trail, B.C.: The BC SPCA Trail Branch 250-368-5910
Vancouver, B.C. : The Vancouver City Animal Shelter is a no kill shelter located at 1280 Raymur Avenue, open weekdays from 8:30-5:30, weekends noon to 4pm. 604-251-1325.
Mississauga, Ontario: The Mississauga Animal Control Shelter, 735 Central Parkway West, 905-896-5864. open Monday - Friday 10 -5 pm, Saturday 10 - 4 pm.
Belleville, Ontario: The Quinte Humane Society 613-968-4673
Ottawa, Ontario: The Humane Society of Ottawa Carleton 613-725-3166
Bramton, Ontario: SOS Quebec Ontario Dog Rescue
Rawdon, Quebec: Sasha's Den Rescue
Quebec: SPCA of Western Quebec 819-770-7722
Many U.S. shelters in states that border Canada will consider applications from qualified Canadian residents. Please see our listings for states adjacent to Canada.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Princess wrote: Do they have to be specifically chow?
No. You can also ask the shelter which rescues they work with and then contact them individually. That way they already have a relationship with the shelter.

We have another member from the old site who is a chow specific rescuer in Collingswood (in the province of Ontario, a bit far away from you). Her name is "Monica". You might be able to PM her also, but she doesn't come on this site much, if ever. So it would probably be easier for you to contact her directly and see if she can help put a hold on the chow for you. Tele number for Chow Rescue Ontario is: 705 445 6513 and e-mail addy is: chowfriends@hotmail.com

One thing I did want to mention is if you are allowed to be there for the behavior tests and you note the chow really is a biter and might not be adoptable, please be ready to volunteer to hold his paw when/if the time comes. Just part of the down side of rescueing. Speaking of volunteering, why not volunteer to be a shelter dog walker (or whatever) right now and you'll have unsuspected direct access to the chow.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Be leery of that tempement test especially with a Chow 99.9% of the time the test is wrong, once the Chow is out the front door its a whole differant story.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

YAY! Thank you JEFF!!! I contacted the lady that I think is based out of Calgary and she is one of the volunteers for Western Canada. I emailed her letting her know that I would be interested in forstering/adopting/helping any way i can. Hopefully she will get back to me and we can set something up. \:D/
On the bright side, just looked at the humane society site and they only have one dog for adoption.. not chow or a mix.

I have thought about volunteering at the shelters, except I can't even look at the websites without being a complete mess afterwards, even if there is no chows on there. My work schedule is also so much all over the place I would hate to commit to something and then not be able to keep my word. I am overly responsible in a freaky manner :shock:

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions! I will keep you up to date on my contact with the rescue!!
ImageImage
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Teddy came from an all breed rescue that took him in because I volunteered to foster. So I'm thinking that as long as you are willing to foster any rescue would do to put a hold on a chow.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868