For The Love Of Chows

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

For The Love Of Chows

Post by ChowLady »

I have to say that I really thought that this site was for people interested in CHOWS. In the past few weeks I have seen members being attacked personally by other members who do not agree with what one is saying. I know we dont always agree with what another is saying but does it have to be a full on attack???? Why cant one just agree to disagree and move on???? :roll: It is a poor display for new members thinking of joining this site and I am sure a lot of people have not joined for this reason, I know I would not join a site with all this fighting and attacking going on.
I know there are people who do not like each other on this site but that is personal and should be kept that way and not displayed on here. Also there is people who do not like breeders, I can honestly say NOT all breeders are bad. Here in Australia there is not many breeders of Chows, and the Chow is very hard to find in Australia, which I am sure Judith will agree. I have known Judith for sometime and I must say she is there for the Love of the Chow and not for the $dollars$.
I was upset to see that a member was asking for help to transport a chow and was attacked for asking, how wrong is that? If a person can not ask?
Oh what is fast becoming of this site when people get attacked personally for just posting on here. :?
If I have stepped on peoples toes with this post then thats tough, get over it and live life.
Kathy
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
Auddymay

Re: For The Love Of Chows

Post by Auddymay »

Oddly enough, what started the in-house fights again, is someone posted about a petty comment they saw by chance, and asked why we can't get along. At that point, things had been quiet for quite some time, actually. From there, all the uglies came back to the surface. It is unfortunate. When you have people with strong feelings about an issue such as breeding, it seems the moderates- meaning folks who think like you and I do, are the ones who end up feeling the most uncomfortable with the situation. The folks on either end of the issue will never come to terms with the other side, and those in the middle are left to feel they must choose sides. An untenable situation, to say the least. To say just ignore the post is hard to do, because in the middle of all the fighting, some valid points get made as well. The solutions are to become much more conservative in what we allow posted, which is something the mods have discussed, but it always comes down to allowing as much free speech as possible. We don't want to be editting or out-right deleting. Then there is the punative approach, which we really don't like to impose either. We mods keep waiting for members to act right, and they do- for awhile.
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sengeoz »

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the post m'dear.

What you have to remember is that some of what you see in posts between folks has history.

Here in Oz, we don't have the same history or cultural base of competitiveness (except on the footy field or in the pool :D and even then everyone leaves the field the best of mates) or even the tendancy to take a one-eyed view of life, the universe and everything that the Yanks do, so we are often at a cultural disadvantage whilst watching the fray. :roll: I tend to weigh in from time to time 'cause I'm one of "them"! :twisted:

Not to worry - take what you can from it all and leave the rest!

Cheers,
Judith-Ann
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The magic words were "Here in the land of OZ we don't have many Chows so breeders are needed" I agree but here in the land of plenty and more plenty we have hundreds of Chows dieing in shelters everyday so breeders, good or bad are not needed. As you can see from my past post I have said US, no Australia, south Africa or any other Country, From this time forward when I say breeders I am referring to US Only, Unless I Am referring to China, Korea or any other country that partakes in animal abuse. If the country isn't stated I am referring to US only.

It might be better to use names like "Chowlady of Stirling" , "Sengeoz of Oz" or how about "Red Dragon of the Hill people", Kind of adds a bit of English Knighthood to it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

good post chowlady. i have been thinking the same thing as of late.
opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. one of my favorite sayings.BUT lately it is getting vicious. i guess i am one of those that are not on a "side". do i think that bybs, and puppy mills should be terminated?? absolutley. do i think that rescuing a dog is the way to aquire a chow? definately. do i think that RESPONSIBLE BREEDERS should continue breeding the chows that are above par for the breed?? yes.
do i think attacking each other personally is going to resolve anything???? HELL NO!!!
come on, i think everyone has lost sight of what we are really here for.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

from the home page:
"ChowChow.org site is a community resource for Chow Chows, their owners and enthusiasts."

it was not created for Chow Chow rescuers or Chow Chow breeders...

it was done to help provide a resource of information to help fellow Chow Chow owners care for their beloved family member and share in the love of living with own Chow...doesn't matter if your Chow is a rescue or from a breeder

in my opinion, the whole issue of rescue vs breeder needs to be taken offline or to another site.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I think its a good idea to educate people about breeders and what questions to ask.every breeder has a contract and its important that you read and understand that contract.with most breeders,there are no exceptions.
if you get your chow from a shelter or a rescue you really have no recourse and you get what you get.
yes,we are all here because we love chows and thats our common bond. :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".