Chows and yeasty ears

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trblmama
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chows and yeasty ears

Post by trblmama »

Yeasty ear infections....is this a normal chow health problem? Anyone have this problem with their chow?

My little red headed floozy is on her 2nd ear infection (yeast) in two months and this appears to be an on going battle.

Any food, supplements or ANYTHING I can do for her?

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Anyone have this problem with their chow?"

---

Haven't ever had this problem. Have you tried the diluted vinegar wipes to keep the ear canal acidic? Has your Chow been on antibiotics or other meds lately? Are you feeding a formula high in carbs?
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I'm no expert by any means, but I do have an experience with an ear infection.
When I took Bear in for his entropion referral visit we did a check-up and found out that he had a very slight yeast infection in one ear. He got a thorough ear cleaning and some wash and drops to clear it up. I was able to do the wash/drops a couple times before the surgery but after the entropion surgery, Bear wasn't in the mood for drops, wash or anything. I'm pretty sure it's cleared up since he no longer shakes his head. He did that a little bit before the cleaning and wash. I keep a close eye on his ears now so we don't have another flare-up.
trblmama
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trblmama »

Haven't ever had this problem. Have you tried the diluted vinegar wipes to keep the ear canal acidic? Has your Chow been on antibiotics or other meds lately? Are you feeding a formula high in carbs?
I clean her ears 2-3 times a week with a vinegar/alcohol solution per the vets instructions. She has not been on any antiobiotocs as of late but the yeasty ears is an on going battle. Seems like we can never win. I'm not sure if the food is high in carb's I threw away the bag :roll: *sigh. I feed Nutromax Ultra adult.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I clean her ears 2-3 times a week with a vinegar/alcohol solution per the vets instructions."

---

There are vinegar based brands without alcohol, which are less irritating. One of them is MalAcetic Otic. There are also anti-yeast powders to help keep the ears dry.