food for thought

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

food for thought

Post by Loha'sDad »

My Loha has eaten canned chicken, and then canned chicken and rice, as well as his dry dog food (bottomless bowl), his entire short life. All are the house brands of Animal Kingdom. Lately, as he has passed 1 year of age, he seems less interested in that diet. He is the absolute picture of health. I want to continue to feed him store bought food (too lazy to cook for him) and I want his daily nutritional needs met in full with as little "garbage" intake as possible. What are the recommendations of the members of this group? Thank you in advance.

Loha's Dad
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: food for thought

Post by Dogdad »

I like solid gold hundenflocken and bark at the moon. I also feed Nutro lamb and chicken.

David
Bob
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bob »

Check this site. They rate the different foods and they explain why the give the foods different ratings. Good luck. Some food are great & some they consider carpet sweepings.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Bob
ImageImageImageImage

]
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I like the Wellness foods, Solid Gold, and Flint River Ranch. My dogs do well on them all.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Dogdad wrote:I like solid gold hundenflocken and bark at the moon.

David
Thanks David. Do you prepare it yourself or do your little elf friends whip it up for you?

Curious in Phoenix,
Loha's Dad
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

I feed Henry Solid Gold Wolf King (He is two) it's a 4* rating - do I need to upgrade his dinner?
Thank you Sweatpea
ChowChowVet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChowChowVet »

It's very difficult to choose a high-quality dog food. Marketing in the pet food industry is very deceiving. The words "organic" and "natural" have NO definition in terms of dog and cat food. Also, there is no critique for "senior" "adult" or "puppy" food. Therefore, ANY food can claim to be organic, natural or for dogs of different life stages. To make sure a food is of good quality, check the label. Most will say that the food MEETS AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) standards. This simply means the food has been produced to fit the MINIMUM criteria. Instead, look for a food that says it has been through FEEDING TRIALS set by the AAFCO.

Hope this helps. Good luck searching.
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I can't find Solid Gold in my area but I've heard great things about it.

I feed Jasmine Blue Buffalo salmon and sweet potato recipe. The thing I like about this is there is NO wheat or wheat by products in it. I've had problems with her with allergies and she seems to do better on this than the Nutro I was feeding her.
~ Sally