Help needed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Help needed

Post by MickChick »

Poor baby. I'm so glad he has someone who cares about him as much as you do, and the hospital can keep his nourishment and hydration up since he can't hold the food down. I agree with the others that you should sue that SOB who let his dog attack yours. The problem is if they don't have anything, you'd end up with what's called a paper judgment, and more bills (even if a lawyer took it on a contingency and you didn't have to pay the lawyer anything, you'd still have to pay court costs and out of pocket expenses to make the law suit happen ...). Perhaps, however, you could file a police report and they could be pursued for some kind of criminal negligence and forced to pay for the cost of Bear's vet bills that way ...

Cecelia
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

poor Bear :( I hope they can find out whats going on with him.please keep us posted.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
scrpbk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scrpbk1 »

Hang in there Bear! Kona and Stormy send well wishes to feeling better very soon!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

The Southern Belle's hope Bear is feelin' better today?? I've been sick and haven't been able to sit and read....he looks like he is trying soooo hard and his wounds look pretty good all things considerin'. Hope things are getting better a little every day and his tummy is less upset. I'll make a donation when I can, have a $2500 deductable on my health insurance and some really expensive tests to pay for, so funds are kinda short at the moment.
I'll keep you both in my prayers, wish I could do more :cry:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

How is Bear doing?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Finally, we brought Bear home yesterday afternoon! He had been keeping his food down so the doc sent him home with a new prescription and some new food (Hill's Prescription Diet Dog L/D Food in a can). Also, there has been some sever draining from his major leg wound, so the poor thing has to wear a cone, so he can't lick it.

Oh my, how he hates that cone! He looks so pitiful, just standing there, head hung low, with a look that says, "...surely, you're joking."

He does seem to be walking better, but getting him to take meds is a constant struggle. Since he has trouble swallowing, it's hard to find anything I can stuff them in that he will eat willingly. SIGH!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Poor Bear -
he has gone through so much!! I hope he will start to really come along now and gain some strength since he can eat better. Hang in there.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

thanks for the update.I was wondering if he made it home yet.you are doing a great job taking care of him.I hope the worst is over and he'll be eating again soon.
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I know that "look"...Bear had it and so did Tod. I tried to keep the cone off as long as I was watching them. I guess the draining is a good sign as well as the eating...sounds like Bear's over the hump and on his way to recovery.

I'm finally calling in my donation now. I didn't get the chance to call yesterday before they closed.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Glad to hear he is home now. Teddy hated his cone too; I also only put it on when he was without supervision. I saw soft cones at Petco recently, maybe those are easier to live with? Anyone tried one of them?

As for the pills, I have always had good luck with liverwurst. Smells awfult to me but great to the furkids so it doesn't take much of it for them to swallow whatever it covers. Messy job making liverwurst coated pills though.

As an RN I can tell you that when human wounds are draining, that is a good sign. It means there is no abcess forming which is a real danger with any deep wound, particularly one that is caused by a bite.

Bless you for caring for him when he needs it most.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Look how pitiful...
100_0161_new.jpg
100_0161_new.jpg (88.9 KiB) Viewed 8091 times
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Awww! Bear, remember: this too will pass. You will be yourself again thanks to the love and dedication of your human. And the wonder that he thought to reach out to the generous, compassionate individuals here. Bless you both!

Teddy to Bear, confidential:
My human made me wear one of those too! But she did feel real sorry for me while I had to wear it and spent extra time with me. Be sure to look pitiful around any humans and they will really spoil you, too. And the good news is that when you get to feeling better and that cone really annoys you, then it will be time for it to come off. And the humans will still let you get away with more than you ever did before, because they are still feeling sorry for you! Don't tell my mom I said that though!!
Jerilyn

Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Awwwwwww bless his little heart! Poor baby! I am glad he is home though with his family and I know your budget can't take anymore of these vet stays! They are all pitiful in the cones and the guilt for us is horrible too. Hopefully he won't have to wear it too long.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Oh, sweet Bear doesn't look too happy. I hope soon he will be MUCH better! Get well very soon, Bear. :D
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
scrpbk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scrpbk1 »

Just wondering how Bear is doing? Any updates?

Shelly
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Bear is back in the hospital.

As I mentioned before, Bear has been having a hard time keeping his food down. Every time he tried to eat the smallest portions, he would retch uncontrollably. For the past several days, he has been keeping itdown with much effort. Last night, he threw everything back up, with the consistency of white foam.

I called the doc, who asked we bring him in this morning. I just got off the phone, and he suspects Bear has an esophageal stricture from the crushing bites to his throat. He wants to do an endoscopic exam tomorrow to see if it's a true stricture or just acute esophagitis. He is also concerend about necrosis of the esophageal lining.

So, after all he's been through with healing from the tearing up of his body, now he's starving cause he can't eat and may have a condition that can't be fixed (the necropsy). We should know tomorrow what the outcome will be.

It will destroy me if the final outcome is that, after all of this, he still had to be PTS.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. You, Bear and your family are in my prayers. May god bless and ease the suffering you all are going through today.
Jerilyn

Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Oh dear. I am so sorry! Prayers coming your way that they can fix whatever the problem is with your poor guy!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I feel so bad for you both :( I will say a special prayer for Bear.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I am hoping, with all of my heart that Bear will get through this.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Positive thoughts to you and Bear, I know he will get over this small hurdle, and he will be fine, hugs to Bear and you are in my prayers.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I was thinking about Bear this morning and it reminded me of a special needs dog that lives in Dog Town at Best Friends. He was a big shepard that had to eat with his front two legs on a chair and his head in the air. After finishing his meal he had to stand like that (with his front legs up on the chair) for 30 minutes so his food would stay down. I had to feed him one day and was scared to death he would try to get down before the 30 minutes, but he didn't. It was like he knew what needed to be done and he was okay with it. I can't remember what the problem was with him, but maybe this could be an option for Bear.

I sure hope you guys get a good prognosis. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Well, that was close.

Bear has extreme esophagitis. The endoscopy showed a great deal of inflammation, particularly around the cervical area of his esophagus. The plan is to continue the carafate and add Zantac or Prilosec.

I will be picking him up this afternoon.

Course, all I can see is my asking Bear, "Okay, did you take your Tums? Do you want regular or fruit flavor?" :)

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and well-wishes...I believe the good vibes truly helped.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

thank you for posting.I have been thinking about Bear and hoping he was hanging in there.is he able to keep anything down yet? that poor guy,he is a brave boy.he has the will to live !
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Is he eating more now or will that still take some time? Maybe mushing his food will help? He needs to eat lots of good nutritious food to get better!

I'm so sorry and thanks for hanging in there. I wish I could do more. :cry: