Help needed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help needed

Post by GmeMstr »

In October of 2005, after Hurricane Katrina, we found an abandoned dog. He was in the fenced back yard of a house that had been foreclosed upon, the owners having simply moved out, leaving this wonderful animal behind to starve.

He was hungry, scared and completely covered with dirty, matted fur, yet open and loving. We took him from this horrible situation, got him cleaned up, checked out with a vet and brought him home to try and find a loving family for him.

He never left.

Bear has been a member of our family ever since that day we found him. This dog was put through so much torment, left outside to die in the worst hurricane on record, and yet he has the most open and loving temperament you have ever seen. In the almost 3 years he has been with us, I have never once seen an aggressive side to his nature. Groomers love him, guests to our house love him and, even when we welcomed our daughter into this world, he would bathe her feet with his kisses.

On the morning of June 19th, this loving family member was brutally attacked and mauled by a pit bull. A neighbor tried to help break up the attack and was bitten herself by this out of control animal. As soon as Bear could get away, he stumbled home; bleeding from several gaping wounds, dragging a now useless rear leg behind him.

We immediately carried him to the Animal Health Center in Madison, where Dr. BJ Cash began his assessment. Bear had sustained severe trauma to his chest and shoulder areas with crushing bites and deep lacerations. He was missing a large amount of flesh from his right under arm and had lost considerable blood. After X-ray, it was found that while his rear leg was not broken, it had been ripped out of the hip socket and, with the power of the pit bull attack, all of the associated tissue and muscle that should hold it in place had been destroyed.

He will need surgery to repair this damage after he his wounds heal somewhat.

As of right now, the hospital bills are over $1200.00. We do not have the money for this, nor do we have any monetary means to provide the continued care and medications he will need through this convalescence. The surgery he desperately requires will be thousands of dollars alone.

It has been suggested that we just put him down and, after staying up most of the night, I had agreed to. But Bear has never given up. He has always been a loving family member even in the face of the hardships he has been through. So I won't give up either.

We would like to ask for donations to help Bear recover. Anything will help. The contact info is:

Animal Health Center
1146 Highway 51,
Madison, MS 39110
(601)856-8317

Please help us save him. Thanks.

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Help needed

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Is the owner of the Pit-bull paying any of the medical bills, the Pit owner should be paying them all but are thry doing anything to help?
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

They're fighting it, basically saying, "Sue us...we ain't paying." They surrendered the dog to animal control and the police have told us it will be euthanized, but so far, that's our only consolation.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

There are low cost vet and charity groups you can contact, try calling the SPCA in your community they may have some referrals, if you can find a Veterinary schools or Universities close to you most offer vet care and will work with you. There are groups around that will help with the expenses but most you go on a waiting list, I think your story is enough for them to notice, do a search for pet help groups. There may also be some Katrina groups around that help animals of Katrina.

I found these in MS some say Spay.neutering they may offer other service's for low cost or offer some contacts.

MISSISSIPPI
Mississippi Animal Rescue League
Jackson, MS
601-969-1631
Low cost spay/neuter for pets of qualified low income people.

Pearl River County SPCA
PO Box 191
Picayune, MS 39466
601-799-2062

W.A.G.S. of Monroe County (Wonderful Animals Get Spayed)
Amory MS
662-256-7865 or 662-963-3310 or 662-256-2999
Low cost spay/neuter.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Thanks for not giving up on Bear...I also have a Katrina rescue named Bear (he's a black Chow). I won't be able to contribute much due to other things I'm working on, but I suppose every little bit helps. Please keep posting and we always love to see pics!

I just tried to call, but I just missed them (they close at 1pm on Saturday). Do you have a paypal account?
Last edited by fillyok on Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Thanks so much for the research! We are very familiar with the Animal Rescue League and have adopted from them before, but they do not offer any surgical care. I am persuing this case through the MS State College of Veterinary Medicine (http://www.cvm.msstate.edu/) to see if there are some options there, but even this is far down the road. The doc wants him to heal first and it is this course of healing that we have to get by before considering surgery.
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

fillyok wrote:Thanks for not giving up on Bear...I also have a Katrina rescue named Bear (he's a black Chow). I won't be able to contribute much due to other things I'm working on, but I suppose every little bit helps. Please keep posting and we always love to see pics!
Thank you for your generosity and acknowledgment. I just can't let him go yet...
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Its a good thing I'm not a Vet I would starve to death and be homeless, talk about free services.

ImageImage
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Here is a recent picture...

GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

fillyok wrote:I just tried to call, but I just missed them (they close at 1pm on Saturday). Do you have a paypal account?
Yes, it's gmemstr@netdoor.com, but I just don't want there to even be an illusion of impropriety.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

For right now are they holding back on anything that he needs immediately from lack of funds? I don't like the vets quick thought of putting her to sleep, there is always other alternatives then to just put a Chow to sleep because of money that should be the last thought unless the Chow is in so much pain there's nothing they can do. If he is healing and sill breathing then no way put her down.

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

There are lots of ways to help raise money...yard sales, car washes, ebay auctions. See if one of your neighborhood restaurants will donate part of their proceeds one night to your vet bill. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I am so sorry this happened. Bless you for rescuing him in the first place and for trying to save him now.
I thought pit bull attacks usually garnered interest...perhaps call your local paper/news and see if they are interested in the story. It is both heart warming (katrina rescue) and tragic with the attack and you might be able to include a donation blurb to your vet.
Also does your vet allow a payment plan/financing? Are you a member of a church or group that might be willing to do a fund raiser..car wash or the like. Or even get your family and friends together and find a place to hold one yourself. Animals stir sympathy and compassion in anyone with a heart so you just need to think creatively. Do you have anything you can sale? Do your friends and family have closets full of stuff that could be sold in yard sales. Take up donations at your jobs...your family's jobs. Just trying to think of stuff here.
I will make a donation on Monday.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

OMG thats terrible.....poor Bear!! A Happy Katrina Story and this happens......now this breaks my heart :cry:
I would persue MS State and would also check with LSU as they have a Vet. School as well. I'm not sure how far that is from Madison, but I'm thinking Northern Ms.?? but perhaps you can call anyway, and they could give you some leads on what to do also......... Perhaps your Vet will do a payment plan??
How and where is Bear now??? If you want I can call LSU for you on Mon. and ask about some support groups over this way or what they can do to help if anything, maybe they can at the very least give you some direction you can go in??? I'm sure both Universities will have at the very least some lists of #'s to call for help
Beautiful happy looking Chow Boy and I don't blame you for not giving up on him......I would never be able to either
Awsome of you to take Bear in after Katrina, sounds like he NEEDED a good family to love him =D= =D= And I will say prayers for him and your family

Thanks Sweetpea!
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

vicster605 wrote:Perhaps your Vet will do a payment plan?? How and where is Bear now???
I just spoke with one of the vet's and Bear seems to be doing much better today. They still have him on IV antibiotics and pain meds and, while he cannot walk due to the damaged right hip, he is sitting up more. His outlook is still guarded, but looking better.

As for a payment plan, this particular hospital does not. Dr. Cash seemed almost apologetic when I asked him about this yesterday, and said I could speak with their office manager on Monday to "try and work something out". My understanding is that in the past, they may have broken a payment into thirds, but at this amount of money, we can't even do that...
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Glad to hear Bear is hanging in there...sounds like he's a real trooper and knows he's got something to fight for.

You could also try posting your story on Craigslist in the pet section. Maybe people in your area would have more options for you (or want to help).
Does your vet accept Care Credit? You could apply for an account and pay it off as you're able.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Well, I guess Dr. Cash wants some Cash.

ImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Nice :roll: I would still talk to the office manager and tell them that you can't pay in thirds considering the amount of the bill and see if she will work something else out......you would think CASH is CASH weither you get it a little at a time or in thirds......especially if it saves a pets life since they are Vets afterall.......
I'm soooooo happy to hear Bear is hanging in there =D= I hate the weekends when it comes to stuff like this #-o Everything has to wait until Mon. which seems like FOREVER on Sat.

Thanks Sweetpea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The owner and Chow are getting screwed over big time, the Chow gets attacked and mangled through no fault of the owner or Chow then gets refused medical help because of money while everyone involved just walks away and leaves her hanging with all the bills and possible lose of her Chow, what the hells wrong with this Vet, thats about as heartless as its gets Talk about two innocent victoms, Sounds like a news story to me... A good writer could make a great public interest story out of this situation plus being a Katrina rescue you would have people climbing all over that office.

ImageImage
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Just to clarify, no one has refused care to Bear. The vets have all been wonderful so far and I would expect that to continue.

I also cannot fault them for running a business. I'm sure if there were a way, they would provide pro bono care for their patients but this isn't a precedence they would want to set. My goal is to save my friend. Unfortunately, as you all know, this will cost money...in this case more than I alone can generate.
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

Question to the forum, in one of my reading sessions on the site I thought I saw something Melanie had done from Alaska from a dog in really bad shape. Have tried to find it with no luck, didn't bookmark it never thought I would need it. Anyone recall what I am talking about?
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

See if any of the websites on this thread might help.
Scroll down a bit and you'll find my post regarding the various sites.

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5686
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

First of all, welcome and I'm so sorry to hear about Bear. Thank you for not giving up on him and bless you for rescueing him. Your entire family is in my prayers.

Save U.S. Pets Foundation: "The Save U.S.Pets Foundation is an independent, all-volunteer, 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring no pet is denied lifesaving medical treatment because of its owner’s inability to pay. We support eligible grant requests for financial access to medical treatment of pets as submitted by participating veterinarians." http://www.saveuspets.org/about_saveuspets/index.html

"The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c) 3 nonprofit association that provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need veterinary care. Often animals are put down or suffer needlessly because their owners cannot afford expensive surgery or medical treatment. Companion animal owners must often make the difficult decision to put an animal down or neglect medical needs because of the costs involved."
http://www.thepetfund.com/

This may be a long shot but contact the Humane Society of the US, they have a fund for helping Katrina pets. Also, I read a press release that stated they provided $1000 towards the care of a tortured kitten to spotlight animal cruelty and educate the public. So maybe this is an opportunity for them to target irresponsible pet owners who give the rest of us a bad name?
Here's the link: http://www.hsus.org/acf/news/pressrel/h ... itten.html They also offer a large reward for reporting dog fighting so if the dog was used for fighting....

Also the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, they recently set aside a fund to help pets of flood victims in Indiana, so maybe they have an appropriate fund for this too: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer

Mississippi Animal Rescue League http://www.msarl.org

I don't know if individuals or only rescues can request assistance there but I certainly get a lot of requests from the Yahoo Special Needs Canines group, maybe ask the moderator when requesting membership: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/SpecialNeedsCanines/
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Ginger Bears Mom wrote:Question to the forum, in one of my reading sessions on the site I thought I saw something Melanie had done from Alaska from a dog in really bad shape. Have tried to find it with no luck, didn't bookmark it never thought I would need it. Anyone recall what I am talking about?
I set up a website that gave the story of a rescued chow that needed leg surgery. The rescue organization originally told the foster who picked her up that they would pay for all medical expenses, and after she had the dog home and spent hundreds of dollars on getting her healthy enough for surgery, the rescue said "you're on your own" and refused funds to her.

The website gave the entire story, asked for donations, listed all donations given so that everyone would know their donation was received and acknowledged, listed the veterinary information and progress reports, and had photos of Molly and her poor leg. Some people chose to sell something on ebay and donate the money, and we listed those things so that people could bid on them. It was a nice group effort and we raised over $2000 for Molly's surgery.

This might be an option for these people. The more information you can give to show that this is a true need and not a scam is best (because scams are everywhere and if someone gets taken by a scam they're not likely to give to another needy animal). That's why we included the accounting of money, the veterinary reports, etc. I used a free webhost account through geocities so that didn't cost anything. You get the Yahoo ads to the right but that's okay.

Molly's page is at http://www.geocities.com/adoginneed/ . We didn't keep up on it after the fund-raising reached its goal, so it's not current now. Feel free to use the template.

Best of luck to Bear - very sorry to hear of this attack.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
mina
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mina »

I'm feeling & suggest that you also e-mail your story to "Opera" it may be a long shot, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Same time send your story to local news & paper. Like what Jeff said in one of his post
Sounds like a news story to me... A good writer could make a great public interest story out of this situation plus being a Katrina rescue
Mina