General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Berkley-free at last!!

Post by wallacethegreat »

UPDATE EVERYBODY!
Jeff picked Berkley up from the shelter, took him to the park, then to the vet and said he's just the best boy. He says people were all over Berkley at the vet's office and he just loved everybody. didn't meet a stranger.
Jeff said he took pictures of Berkley on the vet's table because he was so good, he'd never seen anything like it since Pekoe isn't quite as cooperative. Am waiting now to get pics from Jeff on Berkley's first day of freedom.
Laura Mac, mama of the late Oliver Wallace and soon Mr. Berkley
Attachments
Berkley-cruisin' to freedom at last!
Berkley-cruisin' to freedom at last!
Berkley 2 5208.JPG (46.96 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Berkley-free at last!!

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Yay Berkley!
ImageImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Berkleys first day of freedom, He's car triained, open the door and he jumps right in, He's also vet trained, has no problem with the vet.

On the way to the vets, checking out the sites

At the vets

Some illegals cought his eye running for the bus.

Meeting Conner, excuse the landscape but that conners side no one pays attention to it, Pekoe has the side that gets care.

Relaxing after a quick game of basketball.

He seems to like conner alot.

“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Wow - this is so great!! Berkley looks so happy and seems like such a nice boy. Great pictures, Jeff. I like the nice sturdy harness. He's almost home! :D
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

In just 24 hours, Berkley will be here! I can hardly believe it, since it seems like it's been such a long time. The pictures are just awesome and he's even cuter than I expected. Love the exposed belly shots. He's just adorable and I know he's going to love it here.
Thanks again, Jeff. Will call you in the mornintg before you take off for the airport....
Laura Mac
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I have that long leash on him because the vet said he didn't see any problem with Berkley being around Pekoe but if I'm worried about it don't let them get nose to nose or with in licking distance, Pekoe is right behind me in the last picture growling through a picket fence on her side of the yard. The leash keeps Berkley about two feet from Pekoe. I Can tell there is no love between the two Pekoe barks and growls then Berkley pulls on the leash growling and barking back trying to get to Pekoe through the fence. Pekoe is the instigator, Berkley dosn't pay attention to her until Pekoe starts growling at the fence.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Me thinks Queen Pekoe may be a tad jealous :lol:
Love the pics...he is a doll!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Berkley is going to be hard to give up, you are going to be amazed at how friendly and playful he is. I'm like his main person though, no matter what he is doing, eating, playing or sleeping when I walk in the world stops all his attention is on me, Tail wagging, head tilting back and forth and won't take his eye's off me, he has to know what I'm doing and where I am...If I get close to him or sit next to him he's crawling all over me, every time I touch anything he's right there sticking his face in wanting to know what's going on, he looks at everything I'm touching like he's interested in what i'm doing even if it dosn't have anything to do with him.

My Daughter is far from being a dog person but even she says I can't believe they were going to kill him, who the heck would give up a dog like that.

ImageImage
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

Congratulations Jeff and Laura on saving such a wonderful Chow. He looks sooo happy. Best of luck.
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Great work Jeff and Laura.Berkley looks like a fun guy.I'm sure he'll be a good boy for you too Laura.
I love the pictures :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

Jeff what lovely picks, and what a big heart you and laura have in saving such a lovely chow. Well done to both of you and laura hope you have many wonderful times ahead with berkley. Im sure Jeff will not want to part with him :)
Kathy
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I don't know what's cuter...the pics or Jeff's comments. He certainly looks like he was someone's Chow at one time. Hope everything goes well with the journey today. Can't wait to see pics of his arrival.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I am also hoping for a safe journey for Berkley today. I'll bet it will be very hard for you, Jeff, to say good - by. How do they get into your heart so quickly, I'd like to know?!!?
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Well, I was right. I only slept about an hour and a half last night. I have Berkley's new crate all ready for him with a new doggie bed and some toys just for him.
Remember Jeff, when I asked you yesterday if Berkley might have remembered you from the shelter last Friday when you got the adoption papers all signed and you spent some time with him in the shelter yard. From the sound of it, he most likely did remember you. That's why he doesn't want to take his eyes off you. He's probably thinking, "that's the guy who got me out of jail. I'll shower him with my purple kisses and doggie attention so he never lets me go. I'll be a cute as I can be." I wonder now if he'll be really disapppointed to leave and come here.
He'll be here in about 12 hours! I absolutely can't wait!
Laura Mac
Attachments
Berkley-I have to leave Jeff?
Berkley-I have to leave Jeff?
Berkley 2 5208.JPG (46.96 KiB) Viewed 5547 times
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Laura don't worry about Berkley not wanting to leave Jeff. Simba that I pulled and fostered for 4 or 5 days was just as sweet, loving and curious as Jeff is describing and I put him on a plane to Sheila and he adores his new family and they him. Worry about Jeff though as he drops him off. That is a sad and happy experience all rolled into one. :(
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
samsmom79
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by samsmom79 »

Congrates!, He is very cute, my little girl said, "AWWWW..Mommy He is sooooo Cute!" Good luck
Robin :)
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

OMG he is so sweet, what a lucky guy Berkely is to have had the two of you step into his life, love that red harness and all the pics of him playing with your grandson. Safe drive to the airport and safe flight, Laura he will be in your arms in a few hours, he will love you and your family.
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh how excitng. He sounds so wonderful. It really does baffle me that all these sweet loveable chows get dropped at shelters. I have a devil chow and I wouldn't let him go. What's wrong with poeple?

So happy you will have your new guy today he is so cute!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Excellent - brilliant - wonderful - superb - wonderful pictures! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Jeff has dropped Berkley off at the airport for his long 8 hour trek to New Mexico. Unfortunately, the traffic is so unpredictable in Los Angeles that you never know how long it will take you to get anywhere. They got to the airport 2:20 early. Jeff said Berkley hopped right in his carrier, but bolted out almost immediately, probably wondering what is happening!
He says he's such a wonderful boy, so attentive and glued to Jeff.
I got a strong sense that Jeff was really sad to leave him there; he didn't sound like his old self when we talked from the airport a few minutes ago.
It's those damn Chows. They can get under your skin in minutes, especially one like Berkley has already turned out to be.
Jeff says Berkley loves toys, is VERY friendly, affectionate and playful. I tend to think he sees Jeff as his guardian angel who saved him from not only two months in jail, but from the killer room. If I were a dog, I'd be grateful to Jeff, too. Hell, I'm a human and I'm grateful to Jeff!
It has taken us a full week to do this rescue, with no help from the rescues I might add. Not to criticize them, but my experience, and now Jeff's, is that they compete with each other, do their ego trips, etc. In the meantime, Berkley continued to sit in that shelter with two death sentences while they argued back and forth. Sometimes, you just have to step up, and fast.
As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts from last week, when it's right, it'll be like clockwork, and that's what's happened for Berkley. Jeff and I spent HOURS working through all the muck just to get him out of there. But when his carrier is off-loaded tonight and I see him for the first time, all those miserable hours will disappear from my mind.
Berkley may have to sit in that carrier, change planes in Houston ,and then head to the mountains above Albuquerque a thousand miles away eight hours later, but he is alive. He'll be safe, and loved, and will live out his years in safety and with impeccable care.
All dogs, regardless of breed, deserve nothing less from the humans who are entrusted with their care.
Berkley is only ONE Chow, but I know everybody in this group chips in when the chips are down.
Thank you all again. I told Jeff I would take pics of Berkley when he lands in New Mexico this evening. I may be busy with him right away, but will upload those tomorrow morning.
Prayers that Berkley arrives safely.
I think my Wallace knows something BIG is happening.
Laura Mac, mama to the late Oliver Wallace and at 7:08 MDT, to Berkley
Attachments
Wallace's last Christmas 12/24/07
Wallace's last Christmas 12/24/07
Laura Wally 1 122407.JPG (90.97 KiB) Viewed 5463 times
Berkley-8 hrs. from HOME!
Berkley-8 hrs. from HOME!
Berkley BB 050608.jpg (152.29 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Ooooooh! =D= =D= **== :x [:D] :biggergrin:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

You Guys are just the best in the world, thank you for saving that chows life, he looks so much like my first Leo, you both deserve a medal
Bless you Bless you Bless you :P :lol: \:D/
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I just felt bad for him he settled down and trusted me, actually clung to me then I stick him in a box and shiped him off, he wasn't to happy with me leaving, he watched me all the way to the car then sat there staring at me while i was in the car talking to Laura even though people were all around him and one lady was trying to play with him in the crate but he wouldn't take his eyes off me.

He drove all the way to the airport hitting my arm with his paw so I would pet him. Pekoe is glad to see he's on his merry way out of here though.

ImageImage
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Just called the airlines. Berkley's plane is running a few minutes late. He won't be getting in until 7:15, and then won't be ready to get out of the carrier for an additional 30 minutes. Bet he'll really have to pee!
I know it made you feel bad Jeff, but think of it this way. Once he gets in my car, nobody's going to leave him again. And, you have to know that, even if he didn't see you for 3 years, if you came to the house, he'd remember you in an instant.
Laura Mac
chris

Post by chris »

OMG... the suspence is killing me... :shock: