My mom was bit by a dog today

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

My mom was bit by a dog today

Post by xueshuxin »

Of 'coz it's not Songsong who did it. It's another dog, we don't know whether it's taken rabi bacterin regularly; but he looks all healthy and lives all the time just normal.

Does my mom need to take a rabi bacterin? She took one around the same time last year because of another dog...

In PRC the main stream voice is that an injection is needed, but I've also read WHO articles that 1) as long as the dog is healthy for another 10 days, which means even if he carries rabi virus he doesn't infect others, my mom is all right; or 2) even if there is an infection, a treatment at the beginning of the outburst of rabi is still workable.

I've abandoned listening to PRC main stream voice for a long time; but as this is a real problem for my family I'd like listening to your advice here.

How is this dealt with in US and other countries?
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: My mom was bit by a dog today

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear, I am sorry your mother has been bitten. Cannot help with advice, we don't have rabies here in the UK. The Americans will be able to help you with that advice. :D Please give your mum my good wishes.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I'm curious - what does PRC stand for? If your mom doesn't want to go through with the rabies treatment, I would suggest she at least get a tetanus shot.
info re rabies:
http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/qanda/general.html#p3

What happens if a neighborhood dog or cat bites me?

You should seek medical evaluation for any animal bite. However, rabies is uncommon in dogs, cats, and ferrets in the United States. Very few bites by these animals carry a risk of rabies. If the cat (or dog or ferret) appeared healthy at the time you were bitten, it can be confined by its owner for 10 days and observed. No anti-rabies prophylaxis is needed. No person in the United States has ever contracted rabies from a dog, cat or ferret held in quarantine for 10 days.

If a dog, cat, or ferret appeared ill at the time it bit you or becomes ill during the 10 day quarantine, it should be evaluated by a veterinarian for signs of rabies and you should seek medical advice about the need for anti-rabies prophylaxis.

The quarantine period is a precaution against the remote possibility that an animal may appear healthy, but actually be sick with rabies. To understand this statement, you have to understand a few things about the pathogenesis of rabies (the way the rabies virus affects the animal it infects). From numerous studies conducted on rabid dogs, cats, and ferrets, we know that rabies virus inoculated into a muscle travels from the site of the inoculation to the brain by moving within nerves. The animal does not appear ill during this time, which is called the incubation period and which may last for weeks to months. A bite by the animal during the incubation period does not carry a risk of rabies because the virus is not in saliva. Only late in the disease, after the virus has reached the brain and multiplied there to cause an encephalitis (or inflammation of the brain), does the virus move from the brain to the salivary glands and saliva. Also at this time, after the virus has multiplied in the brain, almost all animals begin to show the first signs of rabies. Most of these signs are obvious to even an untrained observer, but within a short period of time, usually within 3 to 5 days, the virus has caused enough damage to the brain that the animal begins to show unmistakable signs of rabies. As an added precaution, the quarantine period is lengthened to 10 days.

For more information on recommendations about biting incidences, quarantine, and postexposure prophylaxis (PEP), see: Compendium of Animal Rabies Control, 2000 and Rabies Prevention - United States, 1999 Recommendations of the Immunization Practices Advisory Committee (ACIP).

For more infromation on dog bites, please see the bibliography maintained by th National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.

more info:
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs099/en/
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

It's great to see you're posting again! I've been wondering how you were. I'm so sorry you cam eback under these circumstances, I hoep all is well with your mom. I agree, I'd get at least a tetanus shot, could your family doctor suggest what is needed?
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Welcome back xueshuxin! I hope you and Songsong are doing well. I'm sorry to hear about your mother though. Is it someone's personal pet that bit her? Or just a dog in the neighborhood? As Karin stated, here in the US they'll confine an animal for 10 days to see if there are any signs of it being sick. Otherwise the person that's bit is usually subjected to rabies shots (which I've heard were very painful, but that was way back when I was a kid). As the others stated, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if your mother had a new tetanus shot. And I'm sure she's keeping the wound clean to ward off any infection.

Karin, xueshuxin is in the People's Republic of China (PRC).
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Hi, Xueshuxin!
If your mom has already had a rabies vaccine but you're still concerned, you can get a titer blood test to see if she needs a booster. A titer of 1.5 is considered acceptable. We don't mess around with that sort of thing here, if there is any possibility of exposure, she should see a doctor.

Hope you guys are doing OK otherwise, hugs to you, your mom and Songsong.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xueshuxin »

Hi everyone, thks for your info :mrgreen: Acutally I've been a bit busy this year so i can't logon quite often :(

My mom took a vaccine last year, but I guess it has already expired (said that the effect is for 6 mths).

The dog who bit belongs to a neighbor, and here we don't quanrantine it... But anyway I just saw him this morning and he's just as he is supposed to be, nothing uncommon. I'll keep an eye on him anyway.

BTW, PRC stands for People's Republic of China :p who is now a hot topic in US I guess.