Special D at the pet expo

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Special D at the pet expo

Post by chowfrnd88 »

There's a pet expo in town this weekend and we went yesterday with Special Dark. You should have seen him, he was so thrilled. :D He sniffed everyone he could. He met so many dogs. He got petted by so many people, including lots of kids and even a baby who could barely walk. She hobbled herself on over to him and laid her little hand right on his back haunches! :shock: Little D just looked over his shoulder and went on looking around. People oohed and ahhhed over him. He was soooo good the whole time. Whenever things got too intense for him (if the crowd got too big), he just maneauvered on through and didn't pay attention to anyone. There were times, he just laid down in the middle of everything! He had such a relaxed look on his face even though there was SO much going on and it was way more busy than I thought it would be for Friday afternoon. Even despit all these distarctions, everytime I said his name, he looked right up at me. He didn't act like he didn't know me in public! :D

There was a nasty little dog who almost right when we got there, ran up to him and attacked his nose (they were all on leash thankfully though), his owner just laughed while I wiped the spit from Special's face. You could see in his facial hair where the dog's teeth had been on him, and they narrowly missed his right eye! I was annoyed and petrified. When it happened, Special just ran away like a good little boy. Afterwards I was afraid his mood would be spoiled but it wasn't. He became really playful and bounded around and play bowed at a few dogs.

There was a large dog who suprised him and growled at him. Special did growl back at that dog. :( As all that was happening, there was a guy at one of the booths who said "ooh that's a real friendly chow, huh?" In a very sarcastic tone. Hubby turned to him and said "yes, actually he is very friendly." The guy sat back down and the girl who was with him, ran over and said she has a chow mix and oh how cute Spesh is and she petted him. At the same time, the woman across form them at another booth also came over and said that she had a chow in the 70's and how they're just amazing. She said over and over how beautiful he was. Then another little dog came by and he and Spesh said hello, the dogs owners (two kids) petted him. All of this in front of that nasty guy, all he did was watch. I just had to a laugh.

The best part of the day was when we visited the booth for the Dogs With Disabilities organization. They're just aamzing and the dogs are amazing. Roxana and her stories about Dakota, and some of the others on the site, have had such an impact on making my feelings for these special needs dogs even deeper than they were, so it was really nice to chat with these people. Anyhow, they had a couple of blind dogs and one Samoyed in a wheel chair who took my breath away. I went to say hello to him (I had previously gotten a free sample of some chicken treats that were still sealed in tehir wrapper) and he sniffed them out as I was petting him. Let me tell you that he was not at all hindered by his wheelchair, he wheeled around me, over me, anything to get near it! Special needs are just so utterly amazing in their couragousness and their ability to love and be happy. I find so much inspiration in them. Anyhow, he and Special said hello and the man holding onto his leash petted Special. Then it happened, the Samy went for a frisbee... the key to Special's heart... Special threw down and playbowed like he's never done before and the two of them were so silly. I was so proud of him. I teared up as we walked away: he'd played with a number of dogs yesterday, but none as happily as with the Samy. Leave it a vicious chow chow to have the most fun with the special needs dog. He makes me so proud that I can share in his life.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Special D at the pet expo

Post by Boogie and Linda »

What a good boy! \:D/ It sounds like a lot of fun. What a great day. Special Dark is another great chow ambassador. I wish my boys were that well behaved in public. :roll:
Brandy's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brandy's mom »

You really knew what you were doing when you named him! He really IS special!! I'm so happy for both of you (though I would have wanted to put MY teeth into the owner of the dog that bit Special and see if he laughed THEN ....)
Cecelia

"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

What a good boy Special is!! He can come and play with my special needs chow Teddy anyday! Teddy can't see him play bow but he seems to sense it.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I'm so jealous. I had to miss Columbus Ohio's Pet Expo a few weeks ago because of a snow storm. I had been looking forward to it for a few weeks, then we got 20 inches of snow. It sounds like Special had a great time...aside from the few "special" dogs. There are always a few in every group...dogs and people alike :D
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

We're proud of you Spesh =D=

Kinda sad that our chows have to be SO much better behaved that all the other dogs huh? Still, they can rise above it with the best of them :wink:
Thank you Elodie!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Great story! Way to go Special!! =D= \:D/ =D=
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Oh Spesh! What a star you are. Your Mum's right to be so proud of you. Sounds like you had a whole load of fun!
Thank you Sweatpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Oh Spesh! You are a wonderful Chowman! Lily would have been giving Chows a bad name (which is why we don't do things like that!). You are the acme of behavior Lily should strive to reach!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Yay Special! You are a super-dog! Jasmine says she admires you for being able to go into crowds of humans and not panic.
~ Sally
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

chowfrnd88 wrote: He makes me so proud that I can share in his life.

That's our Spesh!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

What a good boy Special was! That is great that he behaved so well!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Good on you Special for behaving so well. You must have been sooooo proud of him and it sounds like it was great fun. He was an excellent chow ambassador. =D= =D=

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

You go, Spesh! Thanks for representing!
courtsey of Sweetpea
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

That's why Special is so SPECIAL!

What an intuitive, smart, regal and noble chow!!!!

You showed 'em Spesh!!
Mia
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

Special, you are such a great embassador of the breed. And Katalin, you and hubby have done a wonderful job of teaching Special to be that great embassador. That shouldn't be neglected. I wish Tai was that comfortable around a lot of people.
Cy & Tai
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

AWW Spec you are so good. I love to hear your stories and how you always make mommy proud!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Awwwww Special What a good boy you are!!!!! \:D/

Thanks Sweetpea!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thanks everybody, he just had teh best time ever. It was so great watching him. When he gets excited, he just gets so bouncy, I clal him my little bunny because he bounds around like a rabbit. And his little play bows, sometimes he'll bark and it looks like it just slipped out, he seems to look around like "oops, did I just show how happy I was, cause chow chows are not suppossed to be silly and giddy, we're regal and dignified." :D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Bless him and what a good boy to show how lovely chow chows are. That is why he is Special. =D=
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Good boy, Special... I'm glad you had fun.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thanks everyone! :D
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Colonel here....

Special D, you make me proud to be a chowkid!
=D= =D= =D= I like the little humans too!
Seems they are just the right eye level, so I don't have to strain
my neck to look up them! :wink:
I'm glad you said, "hello" to the special needs furkids!
Like you, they really do a remarkable job!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!