Have an opportunity to own a Chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

enns_aw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Have an opportunity to own a Chow

Post by enns_aw »

I have an opportunity to get a chow from a friend for no cost. It's a young puppy, around 6, 7 weeks. However I am not sure about it as me and the girlfriend are still fairly young.(early 20s) and I have never owned a dog before. (the girlfriend has owned a Rottwieler when she was a kid) I know that a dog is a lifelong commitment and require daily attention and lots of involved costs like vet, food, grooming etc. I also know that chows are stubborn and require a lot of socializing when young. And that they generally attach to one person more than other people. Would this be a problem if i work all day a lot? I dont want a dog to think of me as a stranger...

I guess I am just wondering if we should take the opportunity to own a chow if we have not owned a dog before or if there is any small doubt about it at all?
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

Sounds to me like you have allready done some reading about chow chows! Good for you! I wouldn't worry too much about the working thing. Both of mine, (all be it they are only 5 & 6 mos old) have bonded just fine with hubby but yes they are a bit closer to me since I spend the most time with them and I am the one doing their training and socializing. If you want the chow to bond more to you just make sure that you are involved in the socalizing and training of the chowling right from the start. I would also suggest, if at all possible that is, when you get the chowling take a few days off of work or at least make sure to get him the night before you have a couple of days off. I am a first time chow chow owner myself and I was a bit hesitant as well in the beginning but now I am loving every moment! I'm sure others on here with a bit more experience will be along shortly to give you some more informed advice. Good luck to you whater you decide!

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Well my 2 cents is as follows but I'm sure you will get tons of advice from all of these nice folks on here.
First off I wouldn't take the pup away from mom and any remaining litter mates until it is 8 weeks old if possible.
Secondly it is my opinion that the Chow will love all members of the household who take the time to care for it (feed/groom/train), play with it, love it, and generally bond with it. Some chows do pick their favorite person but that doesn't mean that it won't love both of you.
My hubby works alot more then I do so therefore I tend to most of my pups needs through-out the day. BUT...when hubby comes home he takes the time to play with Shug, he grooms him, he also attended puppy class with us on the weekends. He puts in the time and is rewarded every night by a wagging tail and a pup who loves him and craves his attention just like he does mine.
As far as socialization my first question is how are his parents temperments? Are they friendly, aloof, or aggressive? Aggressive parents would concern me but that is just my opinion. Also how is their help? Any medical issues? Eye or hip problems?
You will need to socialize your pup and this means getting out and about meeting new people and animals as much as possible. Puppy classes are great if they are based on reward, never punishment, because he can be around lots of dogs and people and get petted and handled by others. Also having friends and family over from day one so he can meet people in his home..dog friendly people who will play and interact with him.
I have owned chows my whole adult life and think they are the greatest dogs out there.
I would suggest you read through the archives on here using the search engine for specific topics that may concern you.
Taking on a new pup is alot of work...the potty breaks alone will wear you out...hehe...but they are also an absolute joy. If you are willing to put in the work bonding, training, and socializing your pup he/she will bring you years of love and happiness.
And of course you have this forum to help you through it all.
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

Well the good thing about a Chow is that they aren't like most dogs that need to be attached to your hip. So working long hours shouldn't be a problem. As once there is is someone to take sufficient time with them and care for them in every aspect of both physical and mental. Seeing that there'll be 2 people taking reponsibility owning them, it should be no probblem.

Shane
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Chow adapt fine to your working days. They will be happy to see you when you get home. And yes they do tend to be closer to one person in the house but they love the whole family!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Shane wrote:Well the good thing about a Chow is that they aren't like most dogs that need to be attached to your hip. So working long hours shouldn't be a problem. As once there is is someone to take sufficient time with them and care for them in every aspect of both physical and mental. Seeing that there'll be 2 people taking reponsibility owning them, it should be no probblem.

Shane
If only Buddha fit that description! LOL He seems to be attached at the hip LOL But we knew he'd be like that when we got him. He flat our refused to come play with us when we met him, he went and sat as close to his parents as possible LOL He's definitely a momma's boy LOL
My husband and I work about nine hourse a day, and Buddha does great. I do come home for lunch, but that doesn't seem to have affected his attitude towards either of us. He reacts to my husband as he would an Alpha Male kind of thing, and I am "his person" so to speak. I think it would be smart to get him on a Friday night (if you have weekends off), so that you can be with him two days straight, and get him to a place of being comfortable with you and the house.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I agree with everyone who has said to take a few days off of work. I got my puppy the week we moved into our house so that we had a whole week's worth of bonding time before I got back to my usual schedule.

My guy does favor me over my husband and dear Tucker favored my husband over me. Both did just fine while we were at work and now that Tucker is gone, Holden does fine on his own. I wouldn't worry about that aspect.
ImageImageImage
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I don't think your age matters in this...although you are right in assuming they are a life-long committment and basically like having a kid. I think that fact that you are researching enough to have joined this forum and asked the question says you will do fine. You can get a lot of great info on here on what to do and what not to do. And since you've never owned a dog before you will learn how to deal specifically with a chow rather than try and make a chow fit what you know about your past dogs....basically chows are different than other dogs and should be treated and trained differently.
One positive in getting a chow puppy for your first dog is they can be easier to potty train than a lot of other breeds.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

My chows are home alone during the day and they are fine. Of course I felt guilty when I only had one so I got him a friend to be home with. :)

The thing I would be concerned with if I were you is how stable you are. You mentioned you are young so there are some things you may need to consider. Chows do bond to their family very strongly and do not do well being re-homed. A few things to ask yourself are:

Do you have stable housing? It can be hard to find rentals that will take chows. It is not impossible but it takes work. Also if you own a house some home owners insurance won't insure you because they are a "dangerous" breed.

Are you financially stable to get your chow good vet care and feed him or her good quality food? Chows (and any pet for that matter) can incur expensive vet bills. Are you prepared for that? Are you also prepared to spend a little more on things like rent or home owners insurance?

What would happen to the chow should you and your girlfriend spilt up? Do you have a plan worked out? It always amazes me that some couples will go so far as to have custody arrangements worked out in court while others will both say they don't want the pets and dump them at the shelter.

What would happen to the chow should you have kids? Of course chows and kids can live together just fine but some people think having a baby means getting rid of pets. Especially first babies, people tend to think the house has to be sterile all time, and attention and money will be needed for the baby so the pets get dumped at the shelters.

If after you have answered all these questions honestly to yourself and you still think you want one, then go for it. I grew up with cats and didn't have a dog. Boogie (our chow) was my first dog and we got him as a puppy after we purchased our first home. I read a lot about chows before hand but I still wasn't prepared for everything. After the first few days I was convinced I made a huge mistake in adopting him and contemplated taking him back to the rescue. After that first week however, there was nothing that could make me give him back. :wink:
enns_aw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by enns_aw »

Thanks for all the great info. Hope it keeps coming.

As to the questions posed, 1, I own my house free and clear, im not moving any time soon. 2, My job pays me at least 65G a year. Every 2 weeks steady. plenty of money for caring and good food. Now the whole splitting with the girlfriend thing, i know you cant predict the future, but HECK NO. Im not gonna get rid of a woman who loves me, cleans and cooks for me and takes care of me.

But we do have a cat... 2 actually... but only one who stays inside all the time.

And i dont know the parents of the puppy. This is through a friend of the girlfriends mother who owns a garage and has about 5 chows. I'll have to look into that.

And why are they branded as a "dangerous breed"
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

enns_aw wrote:
And why are they branded as a "dangerous breed"
For the same reason that a Staffordshire terrier or bull terrier or American pit bull terrier are. Irresponsible owners that do not take the time to properly socalize and train their dogs. Or for simply bad breeding that is why Laura mentioned checking the temperment of the parents. Any chow/dog for that matter should NOT be bred if they have aggression issues. Not that an aggressive due to breeding issue can not be resolved but it's a lot of work and some do not come fully around because it's in their genetics.

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I didn't mean for you to tell us, just yourself. All that is none of our business but things for you to think about. :lol:

I have a cat. Boogie was "the puppy from hell" but we eventually trained him not to attack the cat. It is important for the cats to work it out with the puppy early. Most cats will give him a few swats and the chow will learn not to mess with them. :wink:
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

But we do have a cat... 2 actually... but only one who stays inside all the time.

lol prepare for unhappy cats. My cat absolutely hates my puppy because he wants to play with her. All he gets for his efforts is snarling and slaps but she is a grouchy 14 and a half year old. Yours may want to play. They will work it out either way though in the end. My cat still gives me the "how could you!" looks of pure disgust though. :twisted:

As far as the dangerous breed label I refer to it as unfair stereotyping. Yes some chows are mean but hey so are some labs, cocker spaniels and lord knows I've never met a nice Chihuahua. Unfortunately the label sticks and it's up to us Chow owners to be responsible and great ambassadors for our breed and slowly get that label changed.

One bit of advice if you do get the puppy be careful in choosing your vet. I think we have all found vets who buy into the stereotype, which is ridiculous, but sadly a problem nonetheless. My sadly departed Chow Kody changed all of the minds at my vet and now my Shug is carrying on the crusade!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Being that it's a puppy, the chances of the cats adapting would be better, faster. I grew up with GS dogs but never had a dog in my adult life. My DH had dogs with his "ex" but that was many years ago. We thought Shiloh was a Pomerian (sp?) so that gives you an idea of how much savy we had regarding Chow Chows...fortunately, we found this site and the advice, guidance, and support was/is incredible. It didn't take long before we acquired a 2nd Chow as a companion for Shiloh. With commute time, I'm easily away from home 9+ hours. Fortunately, my DH works for himself and is in the area most of the time and is able to stop by the house to check on them during the day.
Sounds like you're doing the right thing in doing your homework first!
BTW - Shiloh picked DH as her person and I am Mr. N's person but they love and respect us both
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
CloudeSkie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CloudeSkie »

Hi there! and welcome... I'm a first time chow owner too - like you I got mine from a friend at 7 weeks old.

First off, based from exprience, it is true that it is best for the puppy to be at least 8-10 weeks old before being taken away from its mom and litter mates for it to develop a better "sense" of itself - including the biting habits here and rough play. Biting inhibition is one of the hardest task we had to train our puppy because she was taken away quite young.

Secondly, I'm sure the more experienced people will agree on this, give her her own private place - like a crate - so she could have some alone time if she has had enough of the things around her or just be a place where she could be comfortable with. It would also go well with training her and if ever you might be on a trip with her in the future.

Third, shower her with love, understanding and care - like others have said, you're queries and your preliminary research suggests you would like to really understand the breed. But, IMHO, not even excessive amount of reading would make you prepare for having a chowling - so if you have any questions, this site is really helpful - many people here could testify on how this site has really helped in raising and understanding our chowlings...

Ow... and often we call them "chowlings" here... Good luck! :wink:
enns_aw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by enns_aw »

Once again. thanks for all the great info. We'll get to see it on friday. I'm sure we will be taking it home.

So on that note, what should Ik be buying. I know all the usual stuff like collar, leash, food, dishes for said food and water, a nice bed and a couple toys (do they respond to the Kong and kong-with-peanutbutter trick?) but what else might I be forgetting about for a chowling?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

enns_aw wrote:Once again. thanks for all the great info. We'll get to see it on friday. I'm sure we will be taking it home.

So on that note, what should Ik be buying. I know all the usual stuff like collar, leash, food, dishes for said food and water, a nice bed and a couple toys (do they respond to the Kong and kong-with-peanutbutter trick?) but what else might I be forgetting about for a chowling?
If this is a purebred Chow, A book about the characteristics of a Chow, Top brand food only, no corn or wheat, no by-products in the food, Stainless steel food and water bowls only, Toys? it depends and if it doesn't use the bed but prefers the hard floors don't get upset. Most of us have a bed for our Chows. the only use we get out of them is to tell each other we have a bed but our Chows never use them, get the bed just incase. Don't think dog start thinking Chow. alot of time on this site and everyone should live happily ever after.

Example of a Chow enjoying her two beds and toys

“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Do som e research on food, you will need to buy higher quality food . Neither of my chows use their beds. I would also buy a rake brush because you will have to groom you chow regularly and of course, set up a vet appointment for a total exam and vaccines

dogdad
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I don't have much to add,everyone covered just about everything,but Dogdad is right.get a good pinbrush and brush her daily so she'll be use to it.chows need regular brushings.I do it 3x a week.its great for bonding too.
good luck!
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Jeff said only stainless steel bowls, but I use hard plastic types, not sure why ne advised ss only (but he's a bit of a germaphobe, may be why...lol). For the sake of your house and the pup's safety, I would invest in a metal crate. Might as well buy some Nature's Miracle while you are at it. It is for puppy accidents...
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Mine sleeps on the AC vent, tile floor, or the brick fireplace so no bed here.
Brush yes...must get them and you used to frequent grooming.
I also use hard plastic food bowls and nature's miracle was great for potty accidents. Mine loves toys so I bought a variety. It is fun to take the pup to Petsmart....great social outting to buy some toys.
I would think about my house and see if you need a baby gate or two to help confine him in the early weeks. They are great while potty training and teething is going on so you can keep them confined to areas where you are so that you can keep an eye on them. Also think about where he will stay while you are at work if you don't intend on crate training. I did not crate train so Shug stayed in a large master bath or the kitchen while I was at work until he could be trusted on his own in a portion of the house.
I'm sure once you see him it will be love at first site so don't forget us...we need to see pics... :lol: .
I would suggest checking out the potty training posts. I took mine out every hour at first and after every nap, meal, and especially play session. Also search the NILF threads. Buy treats for rewarding good behavior.
Can't wait to meet your baby!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Just a bit more. Steel bowls are good for puppies because, #1, they're easier to keep clean, #2, a puppy cannot chew on them as easily.

My chow sleeps right by my bed, my two cats use the dog's bed. I am away for as long as 8-12 hours once a week. My chow sleeps on the mat by the front door. I get greeted with lots of jumps, purple kisses, she doesn't mind me being away because as soon as I enter the house, we go for a walk. That's something for the chow to look forward to.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Auddymay wrote:Jeff said only stainless steel bowls, but I use hard plastic types, not sure why ne advised ss only (but he's a bit of a germaphobe, may be why...lol). For the sake of your house and the pup's safety, I would invest in a metal crate. Might as well buy some Nature's Miracle while you are at it. It is for puppy accidents...
I said stainless steel because back when I first adopted Pekoe she was getting these little red bumps all around her mouth and lips when I took her to the vet right away he said Plastic bowls, Yep, Change them to Stainless steel so I did, the sores all went away. There was a whole thread awhile back about how plastic traps bacteria and germs some ones Chow was getting the sores around its mouth also.

The porcelain designer bowls should be ok but not only does the plastic bowls trap bacteria they start stinking after awhile the same thing happens to the plastic cups that kids use.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

I had grown up with a lab, then when she passed away when I was a senior in college, my parents switched to miniature schnauzer, then another of those, then a cockapoo. As an adult and in a relationship, we finally decided to get a dog and got a chow from a friend whose wife owned a kennels where a woman had boarded her 9 month old chow puppy when she went to the hospital for tests and never left. Her biggest concern wasn't dying, it was for her baby, Chia Pet. So, somehow, we ended up with Chia. Since then, we got Emperor Ming (also a chow) and when Chia passed away at the age of 12 due to cancer, we ended up getting Tempest (also a chow). As you can see, we have become born-again chow people! Even going to the Chow Chow Club meeting in Wisconsin next spring for a week.

Anyway, yes, chows are unique among all dogs. They're so much better!!!!! I cannot imagine not having a chow or two or three in my life, they're totally unlike any dog I've ever had or dealt with, they're funny and charming and sweet and cuddly and, obviously, I could go on and on.

My best recommendation is when you are ready for the commitment, and you certainly sound like someone with a level head on their shoulders, go for it. I can promise you that you're in for an experience like no other...
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Along with Linda's set of questions, I believe you must also ask and answer (to yourself) what you are expecting in a pet dog AND what is your personality type. Once you see the chowling, you and your girlfriend will go "awwwhhh", because they are so very cute. But, as it grows may not be the type of dog your lifestyle requires. I believe chows need a human who has alpha/leadership abilities or in simple terms "patient, control freak tendencies" in their life to share. The natural independent and willful streak of a chow blends well with a human with those characteristics. Plus they are really smart. However, just as long as the human characteristics are not to the extreme, otherwise, it'll be an unhappy connection.

Remember also they have ALOT of fur and you'll need to brush or groom the chowling/chow regularly or you'll have wall to wall fur in your home. Or a chow pooping or hacking out fur balls. Also, make sure your homeowner's insurance does not have a dangerous breed clause, as many do have one set in the policy. My chows are predominantly indoor chows. They have the backyard when they want to go out, but they never sleep outside at night. Although 3 of our chows really preferred to sleep in the cool, garage floor when they could and they all love, love, love lounging on the cool dirt underneath the patio deck. So, if you live in a region known for hot weather, make sure there is cool shelter for your chowling as it grows up.

Thanks for asking for our thoughts. Hope they are useful and realistic for you to make a decision.