Better day

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Better day

Post by sweetpea »

Gracie and I took a early morning walk. We met up with a older couple walking two dogs, they had to stop to tell me how pretty Gracie is. Then told me where they take their dogs for their duties. Its a nice spot. Small adventurous trail for Gracie then open area for her to wander around.
I've decided I love the early morning walks. Felt so good. Then later on, my daughter was here with the kids. We could hear somewhere outside a guy yelling loudly. We finally decided maybe his dog had gotten loose. When I no longer could hear him yelling I decided to take Gracie out for her 3rd walk. I went to cross the road with her and she was fighting me. She kept looking down the street at something and all I could see was a elderly lady walking. I finally got her out of the street and on the sidewalk when she put the brakes on again. I then noticed this pointer walking up to us. Still with his harness on, and no owner. I figured it was the dog the guy was calling for earlier. I had the long tie out with me because I was heading for the trail behind the school. Well Gracie and this dog decided to do the sniffing thing, went well. The dog let me pet him so I put the tie on him and led them both across the street to my yard and tied to him to the tree.. I just hated to let the dog run free with all the traffic, and knowing that someone is looking for him.
I figured maybe his owner would drive by or walk close enough to see him in my yard. So Gracie and I stayed outside with this dog and sure enough, soon a car stops in the middle of the road, this girl jumps out and runs up to the dog and thanking me for putting a stop to his journey. I just was thinking if it was Gracie who had gotten loose, I would sure hope someone would stop her before she was to get picked up or hurt. But I was proud of Gracie, I wasnt sure how she'd react to dogs she's never met before.
She's doing better today. I think she's slowly starting to relax a bit. [/b]
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

That is good - good days are good! They feel good and they are good for you! :)
I am so glad you managed to get the dog and keep him safe. As you say, if it was Gracie, you would be so pleased someone had protected her.
God Bless and think positive tomorrow and make that a good day too.

[:D] and purple kisses.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I'm glad you and Gracie had a better day! Like what Judy said, take it one day at a time. Hang in there!
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

It's good to hear from you! It will take time for the two of you to get adjusted. She's doing great. It sounds like you are adjusting as well.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Sweetpea,
You've been in my thoughts, so I'm glad to see you're back on the forum and getting out of the house. Between the exercise and the fresh air, you'll be feeling better in no time. I know from experience, the most important thing is to stay active. Gracie will love you for it and so will you. Keep us posted on how you're doing - we care!
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

We're both doing so much better. It's time to give up on the dream that me and husband will ever make things work, so it's time to move on. Life goes on.
Gracie is getting playful again, which is great to see. You know, once we get to a more open area with plenty of grass, I give her the entire length of the long lead so she can kind of venture where she wants, I just follow. She stays close to me as we walk. If I turn to go in another direction, here she comes. If it wasnt for her unpredictable nature, she could walk without a leash. As I have found out, if she see's a rabbit (like she did last night), she will put all her strength into trying to get to it, and if something spooks her then her first instinct is to run from it. So walking without a leash will never happen for her.
Then she surprised me today. My downstairs neighbor and I went to a furniture store so I could get a loveseat. She decided we could get it up the stairs without any men. She went up the stairs first. I couldnt believe it, she opened the door, I hollared up to tell Gracie hi so she'd know I was there. Gracie never even barked. Just stood by and watched as we moved this love seat up. I think the girl is finally relaxing and adjusting.
I'm getting lots of compliments about Gracie. Then I have the problem of little kids all wanting to see her. So far I've heard only one little boy call her a Chow. I've been close enough to hear and watch as other people walk their dogs past these kids playing on the playground, no reaction. But I walk Gracie past them and I get these little kids come running wanting to see her. Last night a little 5 year old darted out of his yard, crossed a busy road just to see Gracie. Some days that just gets under my skin and I feel like telling them she'll eat them for supper if they dont stay back.
Things are getting better. I think my little sweetpea is settling in.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

I'm so happy Gracie is doing well and that you are settling in. It sounds as though you are both making friends. It will take time for your heart to heal, but it sounds as though the both of you are on the right track.

Remember, we are always here for you, whether it's to laugh or cry.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart