How did your chows get their names?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

How did your chows get their names?

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Tippsy got hers because she had black tips on both of her ears and a black tip on her tail. HAHA! Nothin' to do with drinkin at all. LOL! My uncle named her.

My old chow, Cinder, got his because my grandma thought he looked like cinder out of a fireplace. :lol:

My family can definately see weird ways of naming animals!

Jess
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

It took us awhile to name Buddha, but I was walking through PetSmart and saw the Booda brand toys, and new that it was perfect for him, 'cause when he was a little puppy he looked like a fat little Buddha statue
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Great post/question! Shug got his name after Shug Jordan...former Auburn football coach. Yes we're a tad obsessed...hehe...but he was also such a sweet and cute lil 'sugar bear' when we got him it just fit! Hubby wanted some manly name like Khan or Zeus but it just didn't fit him IMO.
My previous chow Kody was actually 'Kodiak' for the Kodiak Island/Bears in Alaska where I lived for 8 yrs.
debraschow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by debraschow »

Milo's real name was Malo, which was spanish for BAD, the rescue thought it might be more difficult to place if that was his name, so they changed to Milo. But I think his real name is Fluffbucket. DH says its farm dog.

In our family, an animal normally has quite a few names they answer to!
Debra: Hobo and Milo's Mom
Banner by Sweetpea!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Those are GREAT! :lol:

In our family our pets answer to, too. For instance, our chihuahua, Kitty, also answers to Lil' Bit.

Jess
Jess
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

When we agreed to take Princess I really didnt want any pets again. But my husband wanted her so I agreed. Told him that was fine but he'd have to be the one to take care of her, potty her and all that (of course it didnt turn out like I had planned). So on the way home with her I asked him what he was going to name her. He didnt know. Then reached over to pet her and said something like "your my little Princess" and then it was "Thats what I'll name her, Princess".

Gracie is another simple story. I was trying to pick out the perfect name for Gracie. My daughter was helping me come up with ideas for names. I was out in the back yard when my daughter came over. She walked into the yard and said "GRACIE!". I don't know, Princess Grace....Princess Gracie....just kind of went well together.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Besides their numerous nicknames, all my dogs have 3 names -- the one they had at the shelter or rescue and the other two after human family members

Sullivan (shelter) Maire (Gaelic for Marie -- combo of of Forrest's mother and aunt) Lillith -- (Hebrew for she devil :lol: :lol: :lol: , but also after my grandmother Lillian).

Gilbert (Forrest's brother & obviously it goes with Sullivan) Kirby (rescue) Mac (my father's nickname who had died right before we got him)

Charles (my grandfather) Robert (both Forrest & I have a Brother Bob and it was both my uncle's and father's middle names) Scooter (shelter).

Can you tell I never had human kids of my own to name. :wink:
courtsey of Sweetpea
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I was trying to find a name my husband would agree to and said Ginger because that's her coloring. It then evolved to Ginger Snap because I love ginger snap cookies and it sounds cute when sophia says it.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Kearra got her name out of total defete....I gave up...for weeks I called her lil' fluffy butt...... PUPPY. Went through all the names on the computer...nope nothing rang a bell for her, bought a name book...nope still couldn't decide...then my dh came home from work and said "I know what her name should be".....Kearra.....I said DONE thats it :roll: For weeks after that I still said, here emmmm emmmmm emmmmm Kearra :roll: Took me forever to remember her name and then one day it just suited her. She looks and acts like a Kearra :D My dh got it from a movie he watched. I'm terrible at naming animals and children too for that matter. Then we got Kyra.....again same thing....everyone here helped to name her but nothing seemed to work...my daugher came up with Kyra because she said it sounded cute with Kearra :roll: Her second name is Baku which means mystical creature a name given to her by Auntie Carla who helped rescue her from an evil woman. I should of stuck with Baku and sometimes I call her that, but mostly I simply call her Ki for short.
Kearra's nickname is Sugar Baby and she answers to that too.
Kyra answers to Ki or Baku or both.
As I'm sure most of you can understand with 2 of my Grandkids named Cameron and Cailey, then my Chows named Kearra and Kyra.....I do studder ALOT :oops: :lol: :lol:
I told my daughter if she names her next baby a K name or a C name that sounds like a K I'm just going to have to call them all Hon.....Come and eat Hon....Go sit down Hon..... :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Oh I forgot to add My Mother named my daughter....couldn't make up my mind on her name either :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How did your chows get their names?

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

Well here are my chowlings full names and call names. Rhenegades Original Recipe aka Bliss, because he is what I consider an original chow before it was morphed into something else, and I call him Bliss, because he made me so blissfully happy in a time when I was so sad. He has the sweetest soul. He is so gentle and when you look in his eyes you see all the good in the world.
Rhenegades Silver Lining. aka Belle. Because she is a blue girl and she was my silver lining around a dark cloud. I call her all sorts of silly names, Bella, Belly Button is my favorite. She is such a cheerful happy girl.
Rhenegades Amaretto Latte. She looked like her name, like a creamy coffee... she is a light shaded cinnamon. :-) She is a cheeky chow. I'm her "person" she doesn't much care for anyone else, she's as aloof as they come except when I am there and she's like.. Oh thank god.. the other "humans were bugging me." LOL... I often call her Naughty Latte. She acts 10x her size... just a wee tiny chow. 40lbs.
Rhenegades Micah of Godfrey. aka Micah is the name of an angel. The Angel of the divine plan. I felt as though I was meant to get him... I'll just stop there. He is a good boy and a big beautiful red boy. He is still young and picking his person and going through the naughtys... trying to teach a 60+lb PUPPY not to jump on you or run full force into you ... well.. thats a fun day :-D
Rhenegades Ember Flame, the color of her coat, and it also seems to fit her personality. She is a fireball. If I were to pick any other name for her it would have beean Javenaro Hot sauce LOL. She is something. She can be so sweet and then the next minute be the cheekiest thing ever.
Oh they are all great... My kids, husband and I just LOVE our chowlings. when I figure out how to do the videos on ehre I'll put Emily Caraline and our "pup pups" as she calls them on here. She squeels and giggles and I don't think she could smile anymore if she tried. The more the merrier. Oh yes and we love our yorklings too. :-)
purple kisses from Bliss, Belle, Latte, Micah and Ember Flame.
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How did your chows get their names?

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

Tippsy'smom wrote:Tippsy got hers because she had black tips on both of her ears and a black tip on her tail. HAHA! Nothin' to do with drinkin at all. LOL! My uncle named her.

My old chow, Cinder, got his because my grandma thought he looked like cinder out of a fireplace. :lol:

My family can definately see weird ways of naming animals!

Jess
Oh how cute! My Ember Flame has black tips on her ears ad tail. She is like a red skunk with a black stripe.. if skunks were red, that is... ;-)
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I named Ivana after my first chow (that was all mine I have lived with chows since conception!!) his name was Ivan. He was a beautiful very very large black chow. I wish I had a picture of him.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

Before we got our male in 91, my wife & I had narrowed down the names we liked to Leo and Maximmillion. I was in favor of the latter, but neither of us cared for the inevitable shortened version of Max. The night we got him, we were sitting on the couch watching the PBS version of The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe which my wife had read as a girl. Aslan seemed like such a regal name and we both liked it very much, so we looked at him sitting there on his pad staring at us and called him Aslan for the first time. Everyone who ever met him loved it and thought it was so unique. Of course the name became more recognizable in recent years with the release of the most recent version of the movie a couple of years ago.

Our female which we rescued was 2 years old when we got her, and had been named Naya. I was inclined to change it to Nala from the Lion King, but we decided to leave her with Naya.

For our newest addition we decided that we were definitely going to pick a Chinese name for him. He comes from champion lines, so he has a more extensive registered name incorporating the kennel names of both parents, my wife's nickname (Chi Chi) and his call name Ushi (which means Ox in Mandarin-coincidentally ironic, but fitting for a Chow Chow). He is Pchi-Xishan Chi Chi's Ushi
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel are litter sisters but we did not bring them home at the same time.
They were only 6 weeks old when Milly came home to live with us and we thought she just looked like a Milly.
When they were 6 months old, we heard that Mabel needed a home so we brought her home. She was called Georgia at the time and we thought, "Noooooooooooooooo! That won't do!" So we renamed her Mabel - to carry on the " M " theme of names and Mabel she has been ever since.
She likes her name very much because she twitches her tail when we say it!
I heard a long time ago that you should say your chow/dog's name to them often because it warms their souls.
In Mabel's case I am sure it is true because she always acknowledges that we have spoken to her.
Little Snotty Totty Milly can often just ignore our very existance! :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

All beautiful names. I love purebred names and how they tie the lines together. Boo, Goo, & Choo agree.
courtsey of Sweetpea
nuke

Post by nuke »

I got Ziggy at about 3 months. My brother's girlfriend came up with the name, as I was stuck. It just fit him....

I also call him "Boe boe".

The other day, I left my house keys at work. I came home and had to go over the back fence in order to get through my unlocked back door.

Ziggy did not recognize me. I called his name, but he just backed off and barked like crazy. I was still on the fence, but didn't want to jump over. Then I called him Ziggy Boe Boe....and he ran up to me with his ears back.....jumping up and down with excitement.
deidre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by deidre »

Hey

Before i got my baby girl i also had difficulty finding a name for her so i got a book on china because thats where they come from and in the book was this beautiful chinese girl with a cinnamon coloured kimono on, and i just new that whatever this girls name is thats what im calling my chowkid when i get her.

There was a caption under the pic with the name Kannika and i knew it was going to suit her, when we got Kannika she was cinnamon and so beautiful so i knew the name i chose was perfect.

She also responds to choo chi, wa wa, niki and nika.

P.s her name means jasmine like blossom.

:D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

What lovely names we have all chosen for our beautifuls. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Should not admit this, but Pippy's original name was Pippo. I named her after a little monkey in one of Haley's storybooks. It quickly became Pippy, but she is also Pip, Pipper, Dipper, and Dippydog.

Lily...it took us about 5 days to name her. I wanted CoCo, and Haley wanted Cloe. Brian wanted...we can't remember, because we dismissed his suggestions offhand. Haley finally came up with Lillian, which I corrupted to Lily An.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Neelaa got her name because Neelaa means "blue" in Hindu (thanks Godmom Lou)and she's a blue chow. Her middle name is Chowchee cuz my 8 year old neice thought it was cute, hence....Neelaa Chowchee :lol:
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

All greta stories behind the names... Its awesome!:D :D :D

Jess
Jess
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I'm laughing because it's good to know that I'm not the only one who uses multiple names. I just had to have a name I could manipulate and use in different ways. Shug answers to Shuggy Wuggy...Sugarsmax, Puppysmax, Sugar Bear, and mostly Shug Shug.
It took us over a week to name him as well and I looked up names online for days and days and couldn't pick one. He had actually been to the vet before he was named so they wrote down "Puppy" as his name. When I took him back the vet tech looked at us funny and said his name is puppy? Then I got shot notices in the mail addressed to Puppy!
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

Jack Black got his name after a few to many drinks one night before we got him and we were watching TenaciousD-Pick of Destiny for about the 100th time :roll: John went "we're sooo naming him jack black, hes awsome! and i went ohk! and then as soon as we saw him, it just fit!
we also call him booda, haha it just fits him cuz of his fat little belly when he was little.
and fuzz butt, fluffernutter, ookabooka. ya theres to many he just comes to whoever is happier. haha
My cat Davin was named that because it means warrior in swedish and i'm swedish and the little brat attacked me the first time i saw him. The other cat Kaige was named after a batting cage in baseball... ya i tryed to fight it i think its a stupid name.
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

Hubby named Chen since he is his chow chow and since the ones that he was raised around allways were named traditional chineese names hubby did the research into the meanings and his full name is Chen Zhuang Cong. It means spirit ...ummm something I don't remember lol and strong. I just followed suit when naming Cai Li and found a traditional chineese name. Cai Li's full name is Cai Li Wei Shi which means colorfull beautifull gaurdian. I allways name after I know the personality of the dog and since Cai Li is a blue she has so many different shades dependent on what light you view her in and beautifull...well that's self explanitory lol and gaurdian because she was protective of the family from the day she got here (she hates the paper man and the mail man) Our other dog (non chow) is named RA because I'm facinated by ancient Egypt history and Anubis was too morbid for me (gaurdian of the dead) lol.

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.