chows eating habits

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Daniela
Rank 0
Rank 0

chows eating habits

Post by Daniela »

I wonder why my chows eat have been eating so little these days... Could anyone share some information baout chows eating habits with me?
thanks a lot :?:
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

What food are they on? Have you recently changed foods?
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Chows can be finicky eaters sometimes ours worry us then the next day they clean the bowel. In addition to the other questions:

How old are they?

How many times a day to do you feed them?

How much do you feed them at each meal?

Larry
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Legend is eternally picky..he always has been, even as a puppy. Some days he just nibbles, others he eats most of what's in the bowl. As long as he maintains his weight, which he does, I have never worried. I figure there are days that I eat less than others as well, and I'm none the worse for wear.

He will always clean the bowl if it's canned food, but I really dislike canned. I have a small dog who can only have canned due to a health issue, and that's enough ickiness for me
CloudeSkie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CloudeSkie »

Yumi is also one picky eater - we switched her food 3 or 4 times already but none seem to be good enough for her palate. we give her meal 2x a day (which amounts to only two cups) but depending on what's with it, she'd often leave almost half of each serving sitting on the bowl the whole day.

But since I read from one post here that chows might like fish, whenever we could, we managed to mix in some fish with her food, which she will finish up in one meal (like a really hungry dog) and then if its the same fish for the next one, she seems not interested like saying "That again?!?. :?
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

One of my chow mixes is very finicky, yet she's the one who has food aggression. The other one will eat just about anything. I'd agree to watch weight. Mine also love fish. We do a salmon oil supplement -- just a few drops on their fish-based dry food.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Huntersmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

eating habits

Post by Huntersmom »

I believe that Chows eating habits are in direct relation to thier personalities... choosey! I know that you shouldn't vary a diet to much, but Hunter seems to eat better when a variety of food is offered, He has his daily staple of Iams and A bite of what we are having. He has discovered the great ability to issue guilt though, if we dont share, he will go and slurp as loud as he can several drinks of water as if to say,"ok, I will just fill up on water... poor me" I was worried aout diabetes, he is fine, just good with the guilt. He gets bored with the same food daily. As would I.
Huntersmommie
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

I asked my vet this question once. She said "Most dogs live to eat! Chows eat to live!" He/She will eat when hungry! :)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

AngelsMom wrote:I asked my vet this question once. She said "Most dogs live to eat! Chows eat to live!" He/She will eat when hungry! :)

I've thought about you a few times, couple times, many times, Hows Angel doing? I havn't seen you on in awhile.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Hi Jeff! I'm back!

Angel is GREAT. The cancer we had removed over the summer has stayed gone (so far so good!!) and she hasn't stopped being her wonderful little self!

Her allergies have been outrageous this year... lots of itchy skin, runny eyes, and benedryll... We just found out, too, that she is allergic to plastic and has a sore on her lip! EESH! I am happy that allergies are what make her uncomfortable and not a cancer the size of a soft ball growing out of her tiny little mouth!

We recently moved and I got a new job... things have been pretty hectic.

I'm considering going back to school but can't decide what for (so many options! I have an EDU/PSY undergrad degree, but am considering either going back for an MBA in non-profit management or maybe going for veterinary medicine!). I decided to take today off and just relax... finally finding some time to catch up on old emails and check in on all of my Chow friends!!

I hope everyone is well... maybe you can fill me in on all of the gossip/news!!! :)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

AngelsMom wrote:Hi Jeff! I'm back!

Angel is GREAT. The cancer we had removed over the summer has stayed gone (so far so good!!) and she hasn't stopped being her wonderful little self!

Her allergies have been outrageous this year... lots of itchy skin, runny eyes, and benedryll... We just found out, too, that she is allergic to plastic and has a sore on her lip! EESH! I am happy that allergies are what make her uncomfortable and not a cancer the size of a soft ball growing out of her tiny little mouth!

We recently moved and I got a new job... things have been pretty hectic.

I'm considering going back to school but can't decide what for (so many options! I have an EDU/PSY undergrad degree, but am considering either going back for an MBA in non-profit management or maybe going for veterinary medicine!). I decided to take today off and just relax... finally finding some time to catch up on old emails and check in on all of my Chow friends!!

I hope everyone is well... maybe you can fill me in on all of the gossip/news!!! :)
Glad to hear she's doing good.

I thought that a few times about Pekoe, maybe all I had to do was have it removed and not gone through the rest. I just had a small skin cancer removed they didn't radiate or use Vaccines on me.

You sure its allergies and not her diet?

Plastics? Pekoe had that lip and chin thing going on it was from her plastic food and water bowls, If your not using stainless steal switch.

I can't fill you in on the gossip sence I'm probably the gossip.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I've been thinking about Angel as well. THanks for letting us know that's doing well :D

Best of luck with the decision making :lol:
Thank you Elodie!
JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

Ours, like many described here are very finicky eaters. They are just weird when it comes to eating (or going to the bathroom for that matter.) They don't like to eat when they are being watched. I feed dry kibble only, (Nutra Nuggets or Kirkland Chicken & Rice from Costco). Normally we put two cups per day in their bowls, and they just eat when they want to. They just pick some days, and other days, they will eat more. I like to leave the food out for them rather than to feed only at specified times. We found with our male when we first got him that no matter what we tried, he just wouldn't eat when we wanted him to. He also had some stomach problems and would vomit if he didn't have little bits of food throughout the day. So we just leave the food available and they get what they want. I've never been used to this with any other breed that I've owned, but with them, it just seems to work best. Their weight has never changed significantly, so I don't rock the boat.
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Hi JH!

My dog Angel does that, too. She has acid reflux. The vet recommended giving her a slice of bread in the morning to soak up the acid (particularlly on days that she decides to not eat her breakfast!) that way she has something in her belly.

Maybe that's what is going on with your male, too??
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Layla wrote:I've been thinking about Angel as well. THanks for letting us know that's doing well :D

Best of luck with the decision making :lol:
Thanks Layla! :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel do not eat a lot.

Milly particularly is very picky and she worries me a little when she does not eat. I worry when I hear her tummy rumbling and then I get worried about bloat and all sorts of little worries like that.

However, Mabel is better and eats more and is less fussy.

It takes Milly ages to try something new. We recently received a parcel from Lou with some treats from the CA Chowfest and Milly has only just plucked up the courage to try them. Mabel was a bit picky at first but is now enjoying them and Milly is now but only just now.

Funny girls!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

[quote="AngelsMom"]Hi JH!

My dog Angel does that, too...

That's most likely what it was though we never had clinically diagnosed it, he was always such a nervous little boy. We lost him to a stroke back in February at the age of 14, though in his later years it seemed to have improved.
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Sorry to hear about your loss!! JH....

Yeah, the vet made it sound so obvious! If her belly is empty and she can't find food, it gets upset, then she throws up. DER. hehe. So on days she doesn't eat her breakfast (spoiled...) I either put some sprinkled parm cheese on it as a bribe or I just put it away and she has bread. She usually just eats a little of the bread and shmushes the rest up leaving it in various spots all over the house.... ewww!!!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Mine will go a day or so without eating but other times he eats several times a day. Unless yours is losing weight, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on it.
JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

I'd never heard about the bread before, but it makes perfect sense. Do you use any type in particular? I will sure keep it in mind if my new pup develops any of the symptoms.
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

No specific kind, JH. I usually get her cheap store brand white bread. The vet said it doesn't matter at all.... just something to soak up the acid.

:)
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

It's nice to see you back AngelsMom especially with good news! You've been in our thoughts.

Re: "I usually get her cheap store brand white bread. The vet said it doesn't matter at all...."

But the white bread would contribute to her itchies/allergies because it feeds the yeasts with sugars, refined starch, and probably also has toxic preservatives.
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

kiwani wrote:It's nice to see you back AngelsMom especially with good news! You've been in our thoughts.

Re: "I usually get her cheap store brand white bread. The vet said it doesn't matter at all...."

But the white bread would contribute to her itchies/allergies because it feeds the yeasts with sugars, refined starch, and probably also has toxic preservatives.
I never thought of that Kiwani! I guess I should give her wheat then! No wonder they have been so bad this year!!!

I just noticed her little front paw is all red and scratchy.... poor baby girl!

Thanks for the nice welcome back Kiwani!!! It's good to be back!!!