seperation anxiety?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

seperation anxiety?

Post by fillyok »

As a new Chow mom, I'm coming to you experts for advice. I adopted Bear, a 4 y/o Katrina evacuee in early December. He's a wonderful companion and has excellent manners (most of the time). He does like to bark sometimes, but it seems like he's trying to talk. He had entropion surgery in early March and came though it very well. I doted on him a lot because I felt guilty that he had to go through all that. So my problem has surfaced since the surgery - he used to be fine when I left for work in the morning, but now I can hear him barking as soon as I put the key in the door. I'm not sure how long he barks because I'm usually running late and can't be late for duty (I'm military). I leave a chew bone for him to keep him occupied and he has full run of the apartment. Any advice on getting over the seperation anxiety (I'm guessing that's the problem)?

I was at the local humane society last weekend donating some new toys and made the mistake of walking through the kennels - there's a little 7 month old female Chow. I took her out of the pen and we took a long walk and played in an enclosed yard. She acts exactly like Bear - same mannerisms and all. I was wondering if a companion for Bear would make things better? I don't know his history, so it's hard to tell if he's used to having a canine buddy around. I recently divorced and moved into a small one bedroom apartment with a 6 month lease. I've been planning on getting another dog, but wanted to wait til I move into a house around July. Guess I wanted to know if anyone else has had experiences like this.
Thanks for everything, I learn so much by reading all your posts.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Have you taken Coco to meet the little chow girl? It seems from what I've read, other chow owners have benefited from providing a companion for their companion. 8) Wish I could do it... my one bedroom apartment status is not likely to change soon.

As for the barking, I have no trouble believing Sophie knows exactly when I'm on my way home. I would be genuinely surprised if your neighbors were to tell you that he's barked all day.

If you have the means (and it sounds like you have the opportunity) I hope you consider bringing that girl home, and bless you for rescuing Coco!
Sandy
Owned by Sophie

Post by Guest »

ciaobella,
It was Simbasmom who adopted Coco. But I agree with everything you said. I would take your dog and see how the two get along at the shelter.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Have you tried talking to Bear before you leave and then giving him a treat while telling him you'll be back later? This is my morning ritual with my two. If they think I'm about to leave without a goodbye and a treat - they will bark.
As for a 2nd Chow Chow...I think you should already understand that amount of attention and love that Bear requires - it will require x2 if you bring in another Chow. When our 1st was about 9-10 months old, we brought home her companion who was 9 weeks old. We did it because we felt she needed a companion. It has worked out and they are like brother & sister - they love each other very much.
I think it's important to take them on walks or outings. I know that with our two, there is no way that just one of us can take them both out. You mentioned that your are single now so you might need to consider how to manage that - a friend to help, etc.
If you read Chow Chow books, you will probably find that Chows are good being in a one dog home but there are several on this site that have found having more than one is working out just great. Most will recommend male/female versus the same *Censored Word*.
Kudos to you for taking in Bear and giving him a home with love.
Welcome to this site!
Karen
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Debbie »

Welcome to the site! I had a Bear too! When we would all leave for work or school, he would chew on his fur and make an open area - it was due to separation anxiety and we eventually got a chow pup named Bones (his cousin). This helped tremendously and they got along well after the first week or so. There was some fighting to establish dominance which Bear achieved and maintained until he died (even though he was so weak, Bones could have knocked him over easily). I was very happy to have both. It is twice the work, bills etc. but also twice the love and fun. Brushing takes a long time but is also great bonding. If you have the time for 2 go for it! If you are moving to a house in July and they will have a yard, it will be much easier for you and for them!.

If you don't get another dog, you can do other things for separation anxiety and/or barking. Ask your neighbors if he is barking when you are gone. Use a kong filled with cheese or peanut butter that takes a long time to work on. Leave a piece of your clothing for comfort (your scent) in his favorite area.

Good luck and welcome! :biggergrin:
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Thanks for all the advice. I do talk to him and give him a chew treat each day. It used to keep him occupied, but lately he'll take the chewie and then start barking. I'm sure he calms down soon after I leave since he's a pretty mellow guy usually.
I thought about the little female pup all night and think I'll take Bear for a visit later today. I don't think of Bear as work as much as I think of him as a guardian angel. He came into my life exactly when I needed him. I'll let you know how the visit goes. Thanks again.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

LOL I went through the exact same thing with my Koda when I left for work in the morning. He started whinning and doing everything he could to make me feel guilty as soon as I got into the shower and by the time I was going out the door, was in misery. He also threw an absolute fit after I was gone for a good hour if not longer. I would pat his head, tell him I loved him and would see him tonight when I left, but he still did this. I did post about this, so if you will go through the older posts, you will read all of the great advice I got. Things are now fine when I leave in the morning. I quit babying Koda while I was getting ready for work... basically ignored the whinning. I also had my daughter quit babying him (she was rocking him in our rocking chair to calm him down) and just tell him that Mom would be home soon. It took a couple of weeks for it all to stop, but it has. He hardly even pays much attention when I leave him now. I still pat his head and tell him I love him, but he takes it in stride now. Instaed of Oh please don't go... it's more like see ya tonight, Mom. :) So basically I just quit letting him make us feel bad and babying him about it. I know it sounds harsh, but these chows are not stupid and love to get their way.
Nancy and Tai

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Personally I'll never have another single chowchow until I can be around him/her all day. I really think it's a matter of how long they are alone that will determine how much seperation anxiety they exhibit along with their personal history. Your Bear may have been, (and most likely was) alone for a number of days because of Katrina. When you first got him he was waiting to see if you'd stick around. Now he's bonding with you and he doesn't like it when he's alone.

When I got Darkwind four years ago, he was two, had been living on the street by himself for a while, he had no problem at first with me leaving him, as time went by he bonded nicely; then I started back to school one night aweek and he was left, just on that night, alone for a much longer period of time. One night I came home from school and he glued himself to my side. This is not normal behavior for a male chowchow, they are very aloof. I recognized that he was lonely and he might start exhibiting behaviors to reflect this, barking, destroying things etc. We got Firesong. No more clinginess, no destructive behavior and what's most important, (I live in a very crowded part of the city in an apartment; a barking dog is a fineable offense) no barking. They adore each other and I think it's a perfect match, Firesong is a bit hyper and needs the companionship 24/7 to keep her calmer, Darkwind just needs company, (even if she's a pest sometimes).

So I hope you get the girl and I'm sure it will make them and you feel better.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

My Chewie never had any problems being left at home. My husband came home a couple times a day to let him out and to play... but I ALWAYS felt guilty about leaving him there. We got #2 , Cayenne and Chewie was instantly happier. You could tell how much he loved having someone to play or cuddle up to when we weren't around. I am so glad we got our second chow and will never look back!

Now we just need a bigger car to cart them around!
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Well, I did it! I brought the little girl (Ping) home. I thought I was out of luck, because when I called to check if she was still available, I was told she'd been adopted. My heart sank, but something told me to pack up Bear and go anyway. Guess my instincts kicked in, because she was there. She looked at me like "where ya been?" I brought Bear in to introduce them and they pretty much ignored each other for a little bit then acted like they already knew one another. After what seemed like forever (for Bear and me) we were on our way home. We just took our first walk together and that's going to take a while to get used to...juggling leashes. Once they know one another better, I might look into the tandem ones. On one hand I think I must be out of my mind, but then I think how lucky I am to have two great companions. Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'll keep you posted on how we're doing.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Glad to hear you brought Ping home! Keep us informed on how things go with both of them. I am so excited for you. :)
Nancy and Tai

ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

That's so great!!! And ignoring each other is a good sign. Sophie always likes best the dogs who give her a cursory sniff and just go on with what they are doing. Not so much with the hyper ones who are up in her face immediately.

Congrats, and sorry about the mistaken identity problem, Bear. :oops:
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

New baby girl

Post by Sharons Chows »

Welcome to our site.
So glad that you brought home your new little girl.

JR has had separation anxieties since I brought him home...8 plus years ago.
I really had my druthers about Alan getting almost 4 yr old Cheyenne a few months ago...but they both adjusted so well and JR really is so much better now that he has a sister. He still likes to "think" that he is top dog....Cheyenne really rules the roost now and she is such a lady she lets him think that way. She really did make such a difference in his life :lol:

Sharon
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Well done - I am glad you were able to get Ping. If it is possible, it is nice for a chow chow to have a companion.
When we had our Milly a baby chowling, we had an elderley Llasa Apso (sp?) and Milly used to make lovely baby play signals and Humphrey used to totally ignore her. :cry: He hated her and made no secret of the fact and you could see the hurt in her little eyes, she just could not understand. :?
When she was just six months old, Humphrey died and we heard that Mabel, Milly's litter sister needed a home so we bought her and they have been inseparable ever since. They just love each other. :D
It is double the work but it is worth it to see them bumbling around together.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xueshuxin »

The same problem happened to my sister.

Actually Songsong was adopted by my sister. As my sister had to go to work everyday Songsong was very very lonely; he knew the time my sister was to leave, so at exactly that time of the day he wld be somewhat abnormal, playing around or lying near the door. He didn't bark, but he showed other signs.

I believe a dog will need some accompany; be with him more, take him to meet other chows, walk him around... do the best you can for him. You can also buy some toys for him, when you're out he'll still be occupied.

Maybe when he's fully grown up he'll feel better. In my neighbourhood there is a big big chow who just sits there and doesn't play at all; I'm afraid he doesn't walk much either. When Songsong tries to draw him attention, seldcom will this big chow show any interest.

Anyway, finally a chow can be used to your life and his life :)
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Bear and Ping are doing GREAT together. I was home most of the day with them so I could keep an eye on them. I left for short periods of time to see what they would do - nothing! At first I was afraid Bear wouldn't take kindly to Ping's puppy actions. Fears relieved - they love to wrestle. I was in the bedroom trying to get Ping to let me brush her and Bear came in to get some loving. Then the fun began. I was right there in case things got out of hand, but it looked like they were having a blast. Strangers probably would've thought otherwise with all the fangs, grunts and growls going on. I let them go for a little while - they had turned the loveseat into the Indy 500 track - round and round. I was beginning to think they wouldn't stop on their own so I called the match. They both trotted to the water bowl and drank together. I hope I was doing the right thing by letting them wrestle together. Bear outweighs Ping quite a bit, but Ping has quick puppy reactions. Neither one of them ever let out a yelp during the first round or later in the evening when they had a re-match. If I did the wrong thing, please let me know so I can stop them next time. Thanks
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Yes, wrestling is a near non-stop event around here. They got wild as I ever have seen them last night, and I ended up putting a stop to it all. Sometimes they make each other cry out, but it stops when that happens. It gets to the point where they are disruptive to others in the room!
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

I don't know if letting your Chows wrestle is incorrect, but Max-A-Million and Mei-Mei will wrestle all day if not told to stop. Sometimes when we're in the back yard, their wrestling becomes too intense. Mayahana will then decend from her outside throne (the top of the porch stairs) give a loud low bark, and the wrestling stops. After a drink of water and a guard check of the yard, her royal highness will ascend back to her throne and the wrestlers go back to the next round of wrestling antics. BTW, Mahayana is just too much of a lady to wrestle in the dirt... dirt is for dust baths only. :D :D :D
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mei-Mei, Mikko and our Queen...Mahayana
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Well, if wrestling is incorrect, then ours are being incorrect too. LOL Koda and our mixed breed Sam are contiunally doing the WWF (I think that's what it's called) thing around here. In fact, it drives me batty and I finally have to make them stop it. They are the best of friends (most of the time) and they usually play together well. They have fought however.... both being male and getting to the age of the dominance thing going on, so we do have to intervene then. But when they are playing, it is great. When they finally calm down, they both go get a drink together, then lie down and go to sleep. Ours our still pups.... Koda is 6 1/2 months, Sam about 8 months. So playing and wrestling is still a big thing around here. :)
Nancy and Tai

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Double trouble!! I left Bear and Ping alone for about an hour to go pick up a mountain bike I'd purchased and the monsters shredded the carpet by my bed. I can only imagine Bear was on the bed teasing Ping and she was the shredder. An area rug covers it for now, but I'll be paying to replace the carpet when I leave. Tomorrow will be a true test when I have to go back to work. Wish me luck!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

fillyok wrote: I hope I was doing the right thing by letting them wrestle together. Bear outweighs Ping quite a bit, but Ping has quick puppy reactions. Neither one of them ever let out a yelp during the first round or later in the evening when they had a re-match. If I did the wrong thing, please let me know so I can stop them next time. Thanks
Darkwind weighs about 70lbs and Firesong between 38-40lbs, they wrestle and play constantly, she usually starts it, by running up and either grapping him by the ruff or jumping on him. He makes all these horrid growly noises, sounds like a little bear, she's pretty quiet. The play goes on until they get tired or one of them gives a sharper yip, then it stops instantly and they lick each other's faces and lie down for a bit.

I've noticed that while Firesong will actually grab Darkwind and pull, he never really grabs her, he'll touch her with his open mouth but he never really closes his mouth just makes lots of noise. See if your Bear isn't doing the same thing.

Chows play rough compared to other dogs, but they do seem to know when to quit as well.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Bear and Ping survived the day alone with only minor wear and tear on the house. I made an emergency stop at Petsmart on my way home to get some Kong toys and such to help keep them occupied for a little while. I've found that dog.com has better deals on toys and treats. If anyone knows of better sites, please pass them along. These guys are costing me a fortune, but they're worth every penny.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I'm really glad to hear that Ping and Bear survived their first day together. :) I am interested to find out of the Kongs help. LOL I saw some Kongs at Petsmart on Saturday and thought about getting Koda one, but was afraid that it would just give the 2 boys something to fight over, so I changed my mind. We have to watch them with treats and snacks or Sam has the impression that they are his and his alone. LOL We don't have a problem with food aggression with either of them, but boy are snacks a different story, which is another reason snacks are few and far between. Koda doesn't need them anyway, so it's just easier not to have too many of them.
Nancy and Tai

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Both my girls chew nylabones. they last forever, and help with destruction. Lily is 10 months old and the only real damage she has done from chewing is the brace on one kitchen chair, and an outdoor planter. Having Chows is a time and money consuming enterprise. That is why there is such a problem with abandoned chowdren. On the plus side, walking is good for me, too. I have not learned the art of walking them one at a time. Indeed, that may be te impossible dream...lol
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I thought I'd post an update on Bear and Ping today. It's been a crazy 2 weeks since I brought Ping home. I found out some Chow puppies are just like regular puppies. She found out what fun it is to chew on the carpet (I'll be recarpeting when I move out) and how fun it is to sneak out the front door and hit the road running.
Yesterday morning was an all-time winner. Both of them are excited in the AM to go outside and sniff bunny smells and doing their business is an afterthought. Usually I have time to brace myself for 100 pounds of Chow pulling on me, but not yesterday. They knocked me off my feet and I was only able to keep hold on Bear's leash. Ping is small enough to fit under the chain link fence so she was gone! Of course the leash got tangled around trees and she couldn't move. There's also a barbed wire fence on the other side of the chainlink. I looked for the easiest route to take and figured if I could pull my vehicle close enough to the fence I could use it as a step. I'd figure out how to get back once Ping was safe. So here I am, 40 years old climbing over an 8 ft fence at 0530 (no shoes since they couldn't fit in the links). I was able to get to Ping and wrap her leash under the fence so she was secured while I figured out how I was going to get back over the fence. I ended up shimmying up a tree and getting to the top of the fence. Things were looking good until my t-shirt snagged the top of the fence and I couldn't get down gracefully. I fell and I fell hard! I limped over to Ping and got her inside, took another shower, and got my uniform on. Combat boots aren't known for their comfort and a swollen ankle will tell you that in a heartbeat. I was able to limp through the day and stopped in the ER on my way home...4 hours later, I'm told I broke my ankle. A fractured fibula, actually. I'll be getting a cast on Monday once the swelling goes down.
Through all this, I'm still glad I made the decision to adopt Ping. She and Bear have so much fun together. Her little smile just melts my heart. I must be out of my mind!