Oi Vey...The Mats!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TwoBelovedChows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Oi Vey...The Mats!

Post by TwoBelovedChows »

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get Magy's mats cut without sending her to a groomer? As a puppy there were certain parts of her body which she wouldn't let me brush out - her ears and her "privates". Also with my health condition there were months when I just didn't have the energy to try to restrain her. Now that she's calmed down and has come to enjoy the brushing I'm finding huge mats deep in her very fluffy bloomers. I call them her "mud flaps" because they're so big! :? She'll let me brush her there for a short time but when she sees me go for the scissors or mat stripper she bolts. I'm seeing that as time passes she gets more relaxed about grooming. I was able to get the smaller mats behind her ears after a while. While they are unsightly I'm wondering if they're a health risk or dangerous to her in any way. I'm sure in time she'll let me get to them since she'll actually let me touch them now when just a month ago she wouldn't. Would it be a problem for me to get to them when she'll let me?

Marlena, Chuy & Magy
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

I don't know that they are a health risk but they might start pulling on the skin. Tess will get tight mats behind her ears sometimes (or did when we weren't as conscientious about brushing her) and you could tell they pulled on her skin. She would shake her head a lot.

Is there someone else who can help you brush her? It takes at least two people to brush Tacia, as well as a muzzle, because she hates it so much. And she's not the Chow!

Also, get the the scissors/mat cutters out and put them right beside you when you are working with the brush. Try to not let her realize you have switched tools. Cut the mat in half, towards the skin, and try to comb through it. Just keep cutting and combing until it comes out.

If all else fails- get out the clippers!

Good luck.
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have a tool that is a handle with 4 claw shaped blades, It looks like a toothbrush for a robot...lol. I have used it with limited success, because, it still pulls. If you aren't allowed to brush certain areas, she sure wouldn't like this. Just cut them out. You won't even notice that you did, they have so much hair.
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/prod ... hgodxU4_iA

Check out this website. I have the dematting comb. It works great! You use it in a little seesaw direction and doesn't pull at the fur. I love that thing. And even with the torn deltoid muscle I was able to use it. OH, you can switch it so you can use it right or left handed!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Chow Mikki loves being groomed. My late chow Luna didn't. The night before grooming day, I'd gather all the equipment including a radio and left them on the balcony.

In the morning we'd sit out there. I tune to classical music. I told Luna to sit, and pushed her down. I brushed her, told her what a good girl she is. Eventually she'd go into some sort of trance. Any interruptions, like another dog barking, or kids screaming meant the end of grooming for that day.

I am not a patient person, this chow certainly trained me to be patient.

Marlena try to stay cool, calm and collected, eventually your chow will let you use the scissors. Mats can trigger hotspots as the moist air may get trapped under the fur/mats.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

cheriekynb wrote:http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/prod ... hgodxU4_iA

Check out this website. I have the dematting comb. It works great! You use it in a little seesaw direction and doesn't pull at the fur. I love that thing. And even with the torn deltoid muscle I was able to use it. OH, you can switch it so you can use it right or left handed!
Scissors, dematting combs and electric razors won't work unless you have a willing participant, Been there done that. All that stuff is worthless on the run. I had to have a Mobile groomer come out, while I held Pekoe the groomer did her torture. The groomer used allot of untangling sprays and a razor to get the worst ones.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Even though Mr. N goes to the groomers every 6 weeks, I still brush him often and if I find a matt, I'll try to feather it out. I can only do it if is resting and too lazy to move away from me. I hold the matt between two fingers in one hand, and with the other hand, gently start pulling the hairs out of the matt. It might take me a couple of evenings to actually get rid of it. The groomer said that the matts that are really tight and close to the skin should be shaved off if possible. Using a scissor or de-matting rake might break the skin...then you'll never be able to try that one again :lol:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

You might also try some spray on conditioner to help loosen the matts so they brush out easier. Work it in really good with your hand like a massage (that should lull her into a false sense of security) LOL Then try and brush them out.
SweetPea Rocks!!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Jeff&Peks wrote:
cheriekynb wrote:http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/prod ... hgodxU4_iA

Scissors, dematting combs and electric razors won't work unless you have a willing participant, Been there done that. All that stuff is worthless on the run. I had to have a Mobile groomer come out, while I held Pekoe the groomer did her torture. The groomer used allot of untangling sprays and a razor to get the worst ones.
POOR PEKOE! ! Ok, so I have a half willing participant. :) I've taken safety scissor to him too. :)
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I think your best bet is patience. Yoshi has a solid mat from chest down when I got him. Every day, I brushed and used the rake to get more and more off. On the big mats, I used a sissors, The more you groom, the more relaxed about it they get, then when they trust you enough, you can used the sissors, Have Magy sniff the sissors before grooming, she is just afraid of something new. At first it was a wrestling match, now all I have to do is say brush brush and he is on his back getting brushed and scratched.
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Your patience combined with an incremental approach.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Bearsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bearsmom »

yeah...I'm learning the incremental/patience approach with Bear too. He's growing his fur out finally, and he's looking pretty ragged where it hasn't. The matts are biggest on the backs of his lower legs, and since he has one leg that he really doesn't like to have touched, its ...slow work. He likes to get groomed to when HE is ready so I keep the tools handy whenever I am relaxing, and just sit down with him and do the parts I KNOW he likes intermixed with the parts he doesn't. I dont' push it, but I tell him how beautiful he is when I'm done, and soft, and I swear he prances around proud as a peacock that he's THAT handsome! boys! lol!

One day, I hope he will let me get those legs, and tummy, but for now...I'll take what I can get...just cuz I know at some point, I'll get there... I've only had him four months afterall... he's still learning to trust me.

Bear2smom
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

If they are close to the skin DO NOT try to brush them out or cut them with scissors. When they are that tight they need to be shaved out. If they are not that close to the skin, put a comb behind it (to protect the skin) and then cut it out with thinning shears or scissors.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!