Onyx takes a bath!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

LucysSusanH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Onyx takes a bath!

Post by LucysSusanH »

This is a story for all of you who dread giving your Chows a bath, and end up drenched with a trashed bathroom:

Onyx is a 5-year old beautiful black girl - a purebred with a bear face. Her mistress was deployed to Afghanistan a year ago, so Onyx went to live with her grandparents who stuck her out in the backyard with a plum tree for shade, food, water, and little else. The fallen plums attract flies which also chew on Onyx's ears. When I met her last week, she was matted and filthy but retained her dignified demeanor.

Now, I am one who believes in letting Chows think whatever you want them to do is their idea - at least, that works with Lucy. I guess it works with Onyx because she let me, a stranger, clip and comb out her mats, wash her face and ears, look at her teeth, actually touch her behind and tail, and then give her a bath with two soapings and rinsings. I can't say that she was thrilled but she endured, occasionally sighing and wearing the face of an Old Soul throughout.

Onyx's mistress is going to Iraq next and the grandparents' home has just burned down, so she needs a new home, preferably one where she will be an inside Chow treated with the respect she deserves. She does not expect luxury, but she certainly will accept it. She has been around kids and cats all her life and while she is distant with strangers at first, she will grant a commoner like me a mild tail wag.

Onyx has lots of life and love left to give and deserves better than what she has gotten so far. She is currently in Nashville, Tennessee, but will consider relocating for the right Chowist. She has granted me the priviledge of accepting applications for her adoption and will allow me to help select her new home, and help with transportation if necessary.

Please email me at susanheard@paradigmgroup.net if you think you might qualify! I have a few pictures of her in her bath and will have better ones shortly.

Please spread the word! Onyx hopes not to spend many more days under the plum tree.
Lucy's Susan H.
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Aw, poor girl, bless her loving heart. I pray she will find a special forever home soon.
~ Sally
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Thank you for taking on this sweet little orphaned girl!
You are her hero!
I hope the bites on her ears heal soon. You can pick up some Absorbine Jr. OTC for her ears. It will help a lot.

I wish I could take her, but I'm at my personal max.
However, if I can help transport her south let me know.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

When does her mistress leave again? I hope she finds a good home, no dog should have to spend their life tied under a tree.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

So great of you to take on another chow that needs help, Susan. And great to hear from you as well. I'm sure Onyx will find a forever home soon. I think we'd all like to see pictures of her, if you have the time to post them.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!