New food, Loose Stool

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

New food, Loose Stool

Post by Widabeck »

Sorry if this gets long.

My 1 year old Holly is a little underweight.

I posted about this before. I took her to the vet and she tested negative for all types of worms. My vet, who I don't have much confidence in, said she could stand to have a couple extra pounds on her. Then he says "sometimes dogs are just small". I feel she's underweight because I can easily feel her bones sticking out.

I was feeding her some cheap food. :oops: Shame on me I know. My mom uses Solid Gold for her Shar-Pei and I know it's a good food. My vet suggested not feeding her that and going with science diet because it's a better food. Again, another reason I don't have much faith in him!

I spoke to the lady at the pet shop (who seemed to know what she was talking about) and she said that Solid Gold and Inova are very compariable foods. I checked out the ingrediants and I believe her.

We switched her 2 weeks ago to Inova's EVO food. It's 41% protein. She is on the read meat formula. It's high Protein low glucose/carb.

For about the last 2 weeks she's had loose stool. I know there is an adjustment period with new foods so is two weeks normal? Or does she maybe just not tolerate this type of food?
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Same problem I had. I finally after 6 weeks called my vet (whom I really like and I think he is OK) He said that is was too much protein for Butters body. So we are now switching him to regualr Innova. Kiwani who use to post on here also told me the same thing. But my vet also recommened the science diet ( I think because maybe vets and that brand have some sort of deal) The Science diet or Hill's was one brand that had (acetaminpihine in it) Sorry about my spelling. Kiwani said that unless it is a very active dog that regular Innova was more than enough for him.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

Oh...so maybe I should just switch her to regular.

I appreciate the response. I hope to get a few more responses before I decide to switch her again.

Thanks so much! BTW- Your Chow is beautiful!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Some of the foods are just too rich for them, the loose stool is a good sign of that. I have a very active puppy that I had on Blue Buffalo and her stool was loose most of the time, that was over a two month period. I wanted to try that food because of all the ravs about it, I tried it and won't go back to it again. Back to the ProPlan that I feed the rest of my dogs, the puppies stool firmed up instantly without even a period of mixing the foods, stool has been perfect ever since. :)
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

WOW, so you mean that sometimes the SG is NOT the best choice? hmmm... egad, back to the drawing board. Is it BAD that a dog has loose stools? I mean, other then them not being able to express their "glands?"...???
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

TJordan wrote:Same problem I had. I finally after 6 weeks called my vet (whom I really like and I think he is OK) He said that is was too much protein for Butters body. So we are now switching him to regualr Innova. Kiwani who use to post on here also told me the same thing. But my vet also recommened the science diet ( I think because maybe vets and that brand have some sort of deal) The Science diet or Hill's was one brand that had (acetaminpihine in it) Sorry about my spelling. Kiwani said that unless it is a very active dog that regular Innova was more than enough for him.
Vets, Science Diet, Ace, that makes sence, that adds up right.

Where was the list of brands.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

They haven't listed the foods yet, the Science Diet killed the guys cat though. Here we go again. Vets like to push Science Diet and Eukanuba because those two fund a lot of the schools and they bring their people in to train them on nutrition.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

My vet told me I should go buy science diet from our local Fleet Farm. They sell tires and farm equipment!

I wish I had a vet that knew more about the breed but I don't have one anywhere near me.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Yip, It sucks that they won't release a list yet on the foods. It really bites that they know something is wrong and let it got this long.

Butters stool firmed up in a couple of days when he was switched to the regular formula. He was also having really bad gas from the other, just not digesting well. So that is cleared up as well.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I had Millie on Innova evo as a young pup & Kiwani told me the same thing as you TJ. She did alot better on the Solid Gold & really loves the Timberwolf kibble. Cheri - r-e-l-a-x about Sid's food. He's doing great! PM me if you want to chat more about what you're feeding / want to feed :D
Thank you Elodie!
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: New food, Loose Stool

Post by Sojourner11 »

Widabeck wrote:I was feeding her some cheap food. :oops: Shame on me I know. My mom uses Solid Gold for her Shar-Pei and I know it's a good food. My vet suggested not feeding her that and going with science diet because it's a better food. Again, another reason I don't have much faith in him!
What a crock of loose stool!! I'd switch vets based on that alone. The fact that any vet pimps that crap should be a crime. Read the labels, proof is in the pudding or so they say...

I think the basis of them pushing that poison is to drum up more business.

Solid Gold Wolf King is great for bulking up underweight dogs, I have two that are bulking up nicely.
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

Wolf King?

See, I asked the lady at the pet food store if I should put her on a large breed food and I pointed out the wolf king. She said it really wouldn't help that much. hm....Maybe I'll try that.

She's 13 months. Should I go straight to the wolf king or should I try the wolf cub first?
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

I've got a couple of questions for you. Did you gradually introduce the new food by mixing w/ her old food over a period? Or did you just cold turkey the new food? It is easier on the system to gradually increase the portion of the new food over a week or two. Also, are you just feeding her kibbles/can or mixed?

If you want to go w/ SG, you can start on WolfCubs if you are just feeding her kibbles. At 13m/s, she would have to change again to the adult formula, WolfKing, once she starts gaining weight. Altho I don't particularly think change over will be that hard on her digestive system if you stick to the same brand. I feed my LEO WolfKing kibbles & canned(SG, Wellness, Newman's Own) + SG SeaMeal. Fed twice a day about 1cup+ of kibble. Canned portion change from 1/8~1/4 can, depending on how her tummy was the previous day. Fatty things, those canned stuff. If you think she needs digestive help, plain live yogurt or Green Tripes(if you can tolerate the smell) on top of SG SeaMeal might help.

I'm a fan of Innova as well. Never tried Evo kibbles, tho. Ordinary stuff is more balanced for a regular activity dog.
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

I just went through this with my two. I changed them over to Natural Balance (after all the food scares) and they had loose stools for at least 6 weeks! I switched again to Solid Gold Hundnflocken and it's been great. No more messy poop!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

Layla wrote: Cheri - r-e-l-a-x about Sid's food. He's doing great! PM me if you want to chat more about what you're feeding / want to feed :D
Layla!! you and Carla know me like you lived next door to me and we have been friends for years! That's hella funny to me!! xoxoxo :x

Anyways, I WILL pm you!! :)
shandilady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shandilady »

Hi , I had an underweight girlie and we now feed the Evo but I mix it with some canned food whichever of the good brands you like and that has worked awesome. I have been using California Natural , Innova , Eagle Pack cans. Depending which I can get . Good luck.
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

When we first switched the girls over to EVO, it gave Tess diarrhea, not just loose stools, but diarrhea requiring three baths in one day. We pulled food for 24 hours to give her stomach a chance to calm down then mixed it with cooked rice (to help with binding). We got used to feeding them with the rice, and Tacia was needing to add some weight so just stuck with it for awhile. After about 2 months we stopped with the rice and have never had any problems. I am sure with Tess it was just a matter of the food change (I thought I went slow enough, but obviously not). I am sure just like with people, some dogs can handle it, others cannot, just depends on their stomachs.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

Amanda, I keep forgetting about rice!! White or brown? Also, once I read that pumpkin SOFTENS the stool and another that said FIRMS.. Which IS it and can they have pumpkin every day and how much??
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I give brown rice, better for them =)
Thank you Elodie!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Yeah, I am a brown rice person too. Nothing enriched.

As for the pumpkin, I have found that it balances out the intestines...loaded with fiber which is supposed to regulate the digestive system.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Wow. We need a degree in nutrition to care for these fluffy butts!

I just posted in another thread that I had a store clerk look at ingredients for several kinds of SG, and also Innova regular and EVO. She actually ended up saying I should keep them on the Nutro I've been giving them, or at the most, the Innova regular, because the protein and calories are too high for them in this SG food. I don't have problems with them being underweight! Jaz is a little chunk, and Peanut is getting there, although I think Jaz has been pushing her away and eating her food too :evil:
~ Sally
shandilady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shandilady »

I was after the higher protein (Evo) because of her allergies to alot of grains it seems. Her skin has improved so much. You do need a degree in animmal nutrition and that is something most vets say they only get abit of. My future daughter in law is going to vet school and nutrition does seem to be a lesser necessity.
Our overweight pug is on Canidae senior and overweight. The protein is way too high for her. All the others of our crew seem great including a dog that quit having seizures on the Innova Evo. I think just knowing what nasty things by products and such are is a great start on beginning to find the right food. I cannot get the SG here. I would have to have it shipped .
Widabeck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Widabeck »

Thank you all so much!

You have all been such a huge help. I'm so glad I found this forum. How would I survive without this place?

Yesterday for the first time since the switch Holly had a solid stool. I think I'm going to try the rice trick to see how that works.

I've never mixed with canned food before. As a little girl once I fed my dog canned food and she got really sick and I guess I've been scared since.

I'll try anything to make her gain some weight.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Widabeck wrote:Thank you all so much!

You have all been such a huge help. I'm so glad I found this forum. How would I survive without this place?

Yesterday for the first time since the switch Holly had a solid stool. I think I'm going to try the rice trick to see how that works.

I've never mixed with canned food before. As a little girl once I fed my dog canned food and she got really sick and I guess I've been scared since.

I'll try anything to make her gain some weight.
Not sure which brand you switched to but I'm glad you are getting positive results. As far a canned food, if you need to use a canned food for, lets say, just getting them to eat or a way to give meds, I use the SG canned cut with room temp water to make a gravy, and pour it over the dry and mix. You could even just mix warm water with the dry and try that as well. I now only mix canned when I need to slip in some meds.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I know this is kind of an old thread. But, I wanted to mention if you are changing foods and experiencing loose stool or diarrhea double check the calories per cup in the new food as opposed to the old. You might be having that result from overfeeding.