New member: Hi everyone!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mkaiser
Rank 0
Rank 0

New member: Hi everyone!!

Post by mkaiser »

I rescued my 1 1/2 year old female Chow Chow, "Ebony" (her real name) after Hurricane Katrina. I was in New Orleans at the end of October as part of the companion animal rescue there. Ebony had been on her own for 7 weeks after the hurricane and she was quite ferocious and almost feral. She was going to be euthanized, especially since her family had come home after the hurricane to retrieve what they could, and left her behind again. I'm a cat person at heart but do have a little Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix; none of which prepared me for Ebony!! I'm WAY over my head but loving it. I've hooked up with NW Chow Chow Rescue here in Portland, OR and found a Chow-specific trainer so we're making some progress. We've had some issues with going to the vet, but I guess that's to be expected! It's great to find a community like this one; I'm looking forward to *talking* with all of you! With warm regards,

Michele, Ebony's Mom
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

WELCOME! and congratulations! and thank you for saving that beautiful girl. As you will see this community loves their chows! Any advice we can give, or support that you need... just ask. We are all here to help! I have two... Cayenne, a 5 yrold female and Chewie a 1 yr old male.

They are a joy and I can see that you are already learning the great things chows can bring to your life.

Again - thank you for saving her and for helping after Katrina. You are an inspiration to us all.
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

Glad you opened your heart to Ebony, and also taking the time to learn more about her breed. Always glad to see new memebers.

I have one male chow atm he is almost a year old and his name is Nanuk. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with your new beautiful chow!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Welcome Ebony and Michele!
So great to hear that Ebony has bee rescued. You will get a lot of help here!

Karen, Shiloh, and Mr. Nahkohe
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Welcome Michele and Ebony. This is a great place to get information, support and a good laugh. Thank you for saving Ebony and giving her a home. You'll be so glad you did. You'll soon learn that there's nothing like being owned by a chow. I am mommy to 5 month old Koda, a fawn colored male. What a handful he is, but worth every minute of it. Congrats on your new baby and again, welcome to chowchow.org.
Nancy and Tai

sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

Hi and welcome!

I rescued a male chow off the street about 7+ years ago. I know exactly what you mean by ferocious and almost feral! Be strong, be careful and don't let her push you around. These dogs really would rather NOT be in charge and actually will come around when shown enough love, patience, and discipline. She still may have certain "triggers" no matter how long you have her, but in time they will become fewer and fewer.
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Hello Ebony and Michele. Welcome and Congratulations to you both! :D :D :D
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mei-Mei, Mikko and our Queen...Mahayana
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Welcome Ebony and Michele.
What a pretty girl she is and I am glad you have found each other. The hurricane must have been terrifying for her. Looking forward to hearing your stories about her. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I'm going to repeat something others have said; Thank you for taking her in! She's beautiful and why anyone would just leave her is not to be understood.

She was fericious and almost feral because she had been abandoned and left to fend for herself; unfortuneatly chows are good at learning to do this, and if they are abandoned by their humans to do so, they become a bit resentful of humans and distrustful, it can take months, (I am not exaggerating here) to rebuild that trust, so be patient. Patience and consistency are the keys to rebuilding that trust, establish what you will accept as good behavior, what is not behavior that you accept and do not sway from it at all! Have a place for her to have timeouts if she exhibits the unwanted behavior, 10-15 minutes alone to think about her behavior will get the message across to her in no time. But it is love that is the most that she needs, a lot of talking, and soothing touch. Learning a little about pet massage will help. Animals who have been through trauma's need the same care that humans do, massage, calm quiet environments, and security. If at all possible be there with her during storms, as they will trigger memories. Chows have long memories and this may be a life time thing, be prepared for that. Also firecrackers during the 4th of July or gun shots all those things may well be triggers for her now.

Finding a trainer that understands and likes chows is great, however, the most important thing for you to do with her at this time is BOND and the training you do with her should be to that end and it will take time. However I will guarantee that if you take the time with her, give her the love, security and patience she needs in 6-9 months you will have a canine companion more loyal and devoted than any you've ever known before.

Some practical points; from her picture, (She's lovely by the way), she has a nice big fluffy mane, (the ruff around her head), she has little to no preipheral vision. Never approach her from the back or sides without making sure she is aware of your presence, (don't let anyone else do it either). I also don't recommend the 'put them on their backs to make them submissive' thing either. A chow that has been on it's own for a time will not go submissive for you or anyone else, laying on their backs is leaving themselves vulnerable and they will not do it, forcing them to will only make them more fearful. (also for some chows laying on their backs causes slight breathing difficulties another reason they don't like doing it) Instead wait to see when she lays on her side near you, this is a symbol of relaxation and trust.

You might know all this stuff, but then again you asked for advice and help, I've taken in 5 older chows, only two did I have good background info on, (they had been my mom's) 1 I got from the friend of a friend and the other two are rescues, I've had them for almost four years and three years now respectively.

You said you're a cat person; well you now have a kind of cat in a larger canine body. Some of the rules with dealing with Chows are those that apply to cats. Welcome to the forum and ask whatever you need, there must be about 200 years of chow experience here if not more.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Welcome Michele,

Thank you so much for rescuing Ebony. I've often thought about all the animals left behind to fend for themselves after the hurricane.....so sad :cry:

Bless you for taking her into your heart, you won't regret it.

Roxana
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

Victory
Quick question...why do think storms, firecrackers, and gunshots are triggers? After having OJ almost 7 1/2 years, he is still freaked out by thunder even though he has never been left out in any storm since we have him. He also runs right back to the house at the sound of firecrackers.

On the other hand, his kids just get mad at these things and just bark like crazy.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Sixchows,

I've had two chows that were terrified of storms, firecrackers, gun shots etc. MingToy my mom's oldest chow was very afraid of all loud or sudden noises, he'd even leave the room if you sneezed. He wouldn't bark or anything, he'd get real close to you and if you touched him you could feel his whole body trembling.

My mom and dad surmised that when he [MingToy] was in the pet store someone there would bang on the cage he was in and this person would also sneeze, (maybe an allergy) this person wore a blue overall type outfit. The only time MingToy was aggressive towards people was with people in blue uniforms.

Darkwind is the other one who is afraid of storms, (both thunder and lightening) He was picked up on the streets of Dallas/FortWorth and I know he spent some time there as he is afraid of large dark vehicles and looks to cats as a source he can take food from.

As I've said before Chows have incredible memories, I met MingToy the first time when he was almost three and it took me three days to befriend him, but then we were buddies; I didn't see him again for ten years, but when I walked in the house and said, "come Ming!" he came right to me, tail wagging. Because of their memories they easily associate bad things with bad sounds, OJ was neglected, (obviously) and perhaps abused, being left out in the rain and storms would have been frightening experience to him, one he will remember for the rest of his life.

My Ming, (not MingToy) was afraid of lightening, not thunder. But as a very young chow, (about a year old his first owner said) lightening struck a tree in their backyard and downed a tree which fell on top of Ming. Luckily the ground was squshy and it didn't squash him, he did end up with a strip of skin being torn off his back as he fought his way free. Until his passing at the age of nearly 10 he was afraid of lightening. Again, memory and association.

When you think about it and consider what Chows where bred to do, attacking bigger and stronger animals than themselves, guarding and pulling sleds it's not so great a mystery. The dumb ones who couldn't learn would have been killed by the prey. Those who learned and remembered what they learned lived to breed.

So he remembers because his genes tell him to. This is one of the good things about chows and one of the worst things about them, because when you raise them from pups you have to watch all their experiences to make them positive and when you take in a rescue you have to be aware of the potential for triggers and learn to work with the chow to relieve the anxiety, but I don't think it ever fully goes away.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "why do think storms, firecrackers, and gunshots are triggers? After having OJ almost 7 1/2 years, he is still freaked out by thunder even though he has never been left out in any storm since we have him. He also runs right back to the house at the sound of firecrackers."

---

Poor nutrition and too much stress during developmental periods, weaken the adrenals, and weaken the body's ability to deal with stressors. When stress hormones are high, then calming brain chemistry is low. Melatonin is being used to calm noise phobic dogs during events, because it turns into serotonin (a calming brain chemical). Nourishing the adrenals helps too.

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Ah something about a Black female Chow, boy are you in trouble, No just kidding, as all the rest said thanks for rescuing her.

As Victory said time and patience, you will be heavily rewarded in return just stick it out, Even though my black female Chow came from a rescue it took almost six months for her to settle in with us, She was constantly on the look out for her past owner and would pull and whine everytime she saw something familiar from her past.

sixchows,
up until about 4 years ago Pekoe didn't have any problems with fireworks or loud bangs we took her to all the forth of July events none of it bothered her, one night lightning hit a transformer next to our house, it lit up the whole house, shook the house and broke 2 windows, Pekoe jumped up ran for the bedroom and dove under the bed from that time on Pekoe is terrified of fireworks, cap guns, just about any loud noise if its thundering or lightning outside we have to watch her closely, she freaks and tries to get out the door. so your Chows fear could have came from anywhere.

I also read that if you react to your Chow with sympathy and comfort it reinforces the fear. I can't completely ignore Pekoe when its lightning but I usually just say its ok Peks don't worry about it then open a dark closet or a dark place she can hide in and all is well, if my wife is home Pekoe goes insane crying and whining and runs to her looking for help because my wife totally babies her.and takes her in the bedroom and hides under the covers with her, reinforcing the fear.

Just to Add, We uaslly try to leave town on forth of july and go to a place that dosn't allow them or if we stay home we turn on every TV and radeo in the house as loud as we can but that dosn't really help, she can still fell the vibrations
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Ebony

Post by Sharons Chows »

What a beautiful Chow Ebony is. How wonderful that you rescued her!

You will never be sorry...they are the best doglike creatures that you could ever imagine. Life with Chows is never the same!
We have 2 rescues, One black male..8 1/2 yrs and our newest red female almost 4.
JR, our black one is petrified of thunder, fireworks and of all things our twice yearly woodpecker..he hides in the shower.
Can you give me advice on the amount of melatonin that would work for him and is not dangerous?

Cheyenne, our red one...well...we havent had her long enough to know about her "quirks"...but she has adjusted so well in 7 weeks or so...we are just amazed.
mkaiser
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks, everyone

Post by mkaiser »

for making Ebony and me feel so welcome! You all offer terrific support and advice, and I'm certain to learn from you daily. I've made some mistakes but Ebony is very forgiving! She's been home with me here in Portland, OR since mid-November now, and she is just starting to really bond with me and to settle in. I have some pictures that I'll upload in a day or so but, in the meantime, I love seeing all of the pictures of your *children*-- CHOWS ROCK!! :)

Ebony's mom, Michele