Ear Infections

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Ear Infections

Post by kingalls »

Mr. Nahkohe had his ears flushed due to an ear infection. There was wax and other debris removed. I was told that it could be bacterial or allergies. He's on antibiotics and to be given a dose of ear ointment. The oinment treatment has been very tough as he typically runs away when he sees that I have the bottle in hand. I talked to another person about the ear infection problem and she said her Jack Russell terriers get them frequently.
How do I begin to look up causes and treatment of the different types of ear infections? Is this a common problem for all dogs and Chows?
Any helpful website links or suggested reading would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Karen
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Ear Infections

Post by SWANCIN »

kingalls wrote:Mr. Nahkohe had his ears flushed due to an ear infection. There was wax and other debris removed. I was told that it could be bacterial or allergies. He's on antibiotics and to be given a dose of ear ointment. The oinment treatment has been very tough as he typically runs away when he sees that I have the bottle in hand. I talked to another person about the ear infection problem and she said her Jack Russell terriers get them frequently.
How do I begin to look up causes and treatment of the different types of ear infections? Is this a common problem for all dogs and Chows?
Any helpful website links or suggested reading would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Karen
Hi Karen,
My Shadie (gsd/akita mix) had chronic ear infections. It's prevalent (ear issues; not necessarily infections) in most dogs. Shadie had antiobiotics and ear wash treatments most of her life. Good to have it diagnosed as something to watch for and treat as needed. Shadie went deaf, in part, as a result - but not til she was about 13 years old. I use the moist pads for dog ear cleaning you can get at Petco/Petsmart (I forget the brand) for Kodi about once a week just to keep dust and dirt out from the inside of her ear down to the start of the canal.
PS: Shadie didn't like the ear wash or liquids either, just something we both had to endure... :wink:
Take care, hugs to Mr. N and Shiloh
PSS: Petsmart will price match the Dingo Chicken Jerky treats if you find a cheaper ad (even online) Wanted to share that with you since you were so generous to send me a pack of it last year when you got the good deal. Kodi loves 'em!!! Thanks!
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Hello Karen!

Zhu use to get ear infections alot... but it all stopped once I figure out what caused them. So that might be your first thing to search out.

For me, it was definitely cause and effect. Cause - water in his ear, Effect - Ear Infection and bucko $ spent on meds and vet. So I make sure the groomers always put cotton in his ears before they bathe him and ditto when I give him a quick bath at home. Same thing with our Lao. Miserable ear infection always due to water in ear.

Now when the groomers clean his ear (as well as PB), they need to use a powder solution versus anything that is liquid based.

Hugs to Shiloh and Mr. N!
MybabyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ear Infections

Post by MybabyBear »

My Bear used to get bad ear infections. He went on the ointment too and had the same thing happen as you, Karen. Then, we brought a Norwegian Elk Hound into our family. Bear gave up most of his titles, (like going through the door first, being he was the older and supreme dog), but they became best of friends. Shortly after the two became attached to each other, we noticed that Bear's infections were gone. Come to find out, believe it or not, Homer, (the hound), would lay by Bear and lick out his ears each time he had an infection. I take it as a sign of respect. But, of course, it could be a sign of affection since they seem to be gay together. That's besides the point, but maybe, if you can, try to get another dog to maybe do the same thing as Homer does to Bear. Stephanie, Bear, and Homer
mkaiser
Rank 0
Rank 0

Food allergy causing ear infections in Chow

Post by mkaiser »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board and a new Chow mommy as well. I rescued "Ebony" (her real name) when I was in New Orleans in October for a couple of weeks of animal rescue. As soon as I figure out how to do it, I'll post her picture.

Since coming north, Ebby has suffered several ear infections. Her vet recommended that she be given Precise lamb and rice or a duck and potato or venison and rice/potato food. Apparently, many Chows are allergic to beef and chicken based kibble. I've also been asked to use dried salmon or dried venison for treats, instead of the beef jerky I'd been giving her. Ebby loves this new diet, and her ears seem to be doing better. This is good news since I have to muzzle her and get the help of a friend to put the drops in her ears. Also, the vet put her on a systemic yeast antibiotic, which also helped a great deal.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello Stephanie.
When our daughter lived here with her standard schnauzer Hector, he used to wash Milly and Mabel's eyes. He made a wonderful job of them and was so gentle. Now, I have to do them but Hector made a better job of them than I do. He also used to wash out their ears and if they tried to get away from him as sometimes Milly did, he would follow her until he had done it all to his satisfaction. :) But I certainly do miss his eye-washing sessions.!! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Ear and Eye infections as well as excessive licking between the toes are all signs of allergic reactions.

Ebony just moved from New Orleans where it is wet and humid, to Oregon where it is also wet but colder, but also there are pine and fir trees. My LiChi was allergic to Pine and fir trees, and of course he LOVED to run and sniff and stuff under them...results runny eyes and ears and constant paw licking. I finally just stopped him from going under those kinds of trees and bushes and a lot fewer infections. Darkwind is allergic to hay mold, so he's not allowed to romp in old hay...(that is sometimes used in parks here as winter decorations and mulch)

The other thing that causes these things are dirty ears. In order to make routine cleaning of their ears easier on all of us, I started doing ear massages as part of my petting/stroking ritual. I stroke and pet and when they are calm I just move my thumps to the inside of their ears and continue the massage. Doing this has taught them that touching that part of their body is pleasurable. You should see them, they lean into it so far they almost go to sleep. Then when I have to clean their ears, (which I do as part of their grooming), I use these flat square pads for makeup renewal, pour the cleaning fluid on it and rub it into their ears. I soak the pad so that some of it gets down into that weird ear canal dogs have, but it's not ice cold and even though they're not really happy about stuff going in their ears, they tolerate it well.

And it works, because for the last two years no ear infections and no dirty ears.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Mr. N has been a real PIA with letting me get near him with the ear drops. I can't get near him with the medicene bottle :-x . So next I put a little on my finger - I'm not sure what tipped him off but he jerked away as soon as I got near his ear. Now when I get near him (for anything) he checks out my hands to see if I might have something he wants no part of...
I can rub his ears if he knows I don't have anything. :?
I'm not going to wrestle with him either. Guess my next option is to have him put on antibiotics again and with the added Omega-3 in his diet and slowing getting him off chicken, this problem will go away.

Karen