Agility class video clips

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Agility class video clips

Post by tekendall »

This past weekend I got a couple video clips of Zoey doing her agility class. She is just starting to learn the weave poles. This was her 8th class I think.

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://vid31.photobucket.com/player.swf ... v"></embed>

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://vid31.photobucket.com/player.swf ... v"></embed>
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

She making wonderful progress. I absolutely love to see chows doing agility. Keep up the good work both of y'all keep us posted. I cannot wait to see running through those poles! She a champ in the making! Heck I already think she is a champ!
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

:D WOW, that's terrific! I watch these on TV. What a LOT of patience, persistence and PRACTICE!!! I always thought this would be fun, but, it would be ME that you would see tripping and falling flat on my face!
WOW WOW WOW!! SUPER FANTASTIC! :D
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Those were great, I thought she would hesitate on the tube but she went right through it. I'm going to have to bring Pekoe over there.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

Thanks! It's a lot of fun for both of us. She used to hesitate on the tunnel, but now loves it and goes right through. The a-frame (which I didn't get in the video) is another one she loves to run up/down. Im just learning how to use the video function on my camera. I'll have to try and get some better clips.

They also do a sheep herding class in another location. I'd love to see what Zoey would do (she's never even seen a sheep before). I think it's like 60 bucks for a 1 hour session...someday I'm gonna try it!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The Sheep herding will probably be done at Pierce, Thats the only place I can think of that has enough sheep to heard. Me and Pekoe get kicked off the Campus all the time. I never read the no dogs allowed signs. Pekoe loves the farm animals and won't bother them but they kick us out of that area also. I think the farm area of Pierce is privatly owned now.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

I just rechecked the website. The herding is done in Fillmore..wherever that is. And is says all "herding" breeds welcome. Not sure they would welcome our chows..but I'm gonna ask..hahaha.

http://www.contactpointagility.com/location.html
chris

Post by chris »

Cool... love the videos. :-)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

tekendall wrote:I just rechecked the website. The herding is done in Fillmore..wherever that is. And is says all "herding" breeds welcome. Not sure they would welcome our chows..but I'm gonna ask..hahaha.

http://www.contactpointagility.com/location.html

Thats a days event, Filmore is Simi to Moorpark then Filmore. North west from you. Yeah I can imagine there would be sheep way out there, wear your Cowboy hat.

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

tekendall wrote:I just rechecked the website. The herding is done in Fillmore..wherever that is. And is says all "herding" breeds welcome. Not sure they would welcome our chows..but I'm gonna ask..hahaha.
You should be ok. I took Millie along with our friends aussie shepard mix to one near here & they were great with her. Millie onthe other hand just wasn't interested in the sheep.... the ducks on the otherhand were a little too interesting :wink: We had great fun :D
Thank you Elodie!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Oh that was so awesome!! Thanks for sharing. OMG, sheep herding sounds so fun. I've wondered how Special would do with that too. :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Ahhh, very cute! Zoey looks like she has a lot of enthusiasm!

Is this a class aiming toward competitive agility?

I used to work Kylee on sheep and she loved it - was a very natural herder. Chows aren't counted as herding dogs so if the place you're considering only allows breeds that are considered herding dogs they may not let you in. It never hurts to ask, though! I could never put a title on Kylee because chows weren't an accepted breed, but we went to a lot of seminars. I used to drive 400 miles r/t nearly every weekend in the summers so that we could do herding and then I finally bought my own sheep .. *L* .. I put a herding title on my Australian shepherd, but Kylee just got to play.

I'm going to see about getting Khana in to be herding instinct tested. Chows used to be used as herding dogs way back in the "old days" .. *L* .. I'd love to see if she has some instinct yet. Glad you brought this up, I'm going to write to the Alaska group and see when they'll be doing another HIT test.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Those are such cool videos! Do you have to start at a young age? I can't see Jaz learning to do that - at least, not listening or wanting to do that? I love watching the competitive agility shows. She looks like a natural!
~ Sally
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

Melanie, the class I am in is open to anybody (competition minded, or just those looking for fun). The teacher has won a few titles with her dogs. I'm not sure I would ever compete. I only enrolled because Zoey is so shy and sketchy. It's been great for her. Her confidence has really improved. If you end up doing the herding test with Khana let us know how it goes..I'm very curious about that!

Salandra, they don't have to start young. There are dogs of all ages and breeds. I think they encourage people to wait until a puppy is at least 1 yr old and fully grown. Zoey is 2. I never thought she'd like it because she's so nervous about new things/people. But she's completely surprised me. Keeping her attention is definately a challenge though!