Chow tricks

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chow tricks

Post by Samorrathis »

So now that Nanuk is getting older and acually listening, we would like to learn some new tricks. He knows the basics (sit,stay,come,lay down. leave it). also shake with both paws and we are working on play dead. He looks like rigamortis has set in when he does it, so hilarious! So beside's roll over ( He freaks out when we try to do that one) what idea's do you have that a chow acually might do, or be able to do?

Auddymay

Lily

Post by Auddymay »

Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Have your learned him how to stand?
Not on two, but just stand.
I've noticed that people that doesn't show their dogs doesn't learn them to stand. But i think it's practical. :)

Having a ball in his mouth. (That was a real challenge, Diego hates having things in his mouth)

Diego doesn't know many tricks. I've never cared for teaching him that. :P
Last edited by Taz on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow also knows crawl. I have instructions somewhere for how to teach it if you want them. :)
Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Haley »

That would be great if i could teahc lilyann to crawl [Yes the same dog that is sitting up in the pictue is lilyann. Thats my hand lol my mother is a photo-freak.]
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

As freaks go, that's not a bad kind to be, m'dear!
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

Thanks for all the great idea's. Big hugs to all your chows for being so smart! Let the training begin, wish me luck :shock:
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

These are the directions I used. I didn't hold onto a collar, she doesn't wear one. Just had her down and put a treat in front of her nose with one hand and kept the other over her back to prevent her from jumping up to get the treat. Enjoy!

Directions: Tell Rover to lay down. Get down on your knees and gently grab hold onto Rovers collar with one hand and put the other on Rovers back. Now tell Rover to CRAWL and gently pull forward on Rovers collar. The response you will probably get is that Rover will try to stand up. That's when you use your other hand that you have on his back. Push him down gently before he stands up all the way. Now try it again while giving a little pressure from the hand on his back. If he crawls a couple inches, praise him (make sure he doesn't get up while you do) and give him a treat. Now try it again.

If Rover is really stubborn and wont budge an inch, then get that second person to help you. The second person (Lets call her Su) will stand a little distance (Start with only a couple feet away) away from you and Rover. Get back down on your knees next to Rover with one hand on his back and one on his collar. Tell Su to call him. Rover will of course try to get up and run to Su. Push him down gently and make Rover CRAWL!

Once you have done this a couple times with Rover, and Rover is making no effort of standing up while he is crawling, you can start not putting your hand on his back. If Rover stands up go back to the last step. If Rover remains down, lots of praise! Now you can move on with you standing while giving the command. Then move away and tell Rover to CRAWL. If Rover does, your work is done!!!!

Also you can lure Rover into CRAWLING by holding a treat infront of Rovers nose, dragging it along the ground. Keep a hand on Rovers back/collar.
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

Thanks Willow! Well we tryed it tonight and Nanuk is so funny. He crawled with his front paws and hopped like a rabbit with his back. What fun! will keep working with him.