Lost dog: purebred (smooth coated?) Chow Chow? Or a mix?

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

dawnapbt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lost dog: purebred (smooth coated?) Chow Chow? Or a mix?

Post by dawnapbt »

I know photos can be deceiving, but I'm a Pit Bull person and don't have enough experience with Chow Chows to confidently say whether this dog is pure or mixed. I wanna say mixed, but I'm not sure. I figured I'd come mosey on over to a Chow Chow forum and get some expert opinions. :lol:

This little guy was found wandering without a collar around traffic, then through a parking lot while I was making my way out of flooded Napa back to Sacramento. We managed to nab him, and AC was kind enough to do a pick up (Solano County/Fairfield). I can only hope he was merely lost and has a microchip and someone looking for him. He did not seem to have been out wandering for that long, given his physical condition.

He was right around the Westfield Fairfield Mall, near Mimi's (just in case anyone here is looking for a lost dog).
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Poor boy. You can tell from his expression that he isn't happy and was frustrated.

He looks pure to me and very well taken cared of. Either he is a smooth coat or he's been given a shave down. My Pooh Bear looked like that when her medical cut the shelter gave her was growing in. Did you notice if his tongue had any pink and I couldn't see his tail? Was it bobbed or just down? If it was bobbed, I don't think a chow owner would consciously bob their baby's tail and boy could be mixed.

Thanks for rescueing him from harm. Hopefully A/C will partner with a local rescue to foster him if he is at the shelter too long. I'm sure he was spooked by the violent weather. It's been rough in those parts lately. I know that area well. By chance did you post this on Bay Area Craigslist too? Maybe his owners might check that site.

Take care,
dawnapbt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dawnapbt »

His tail was just down, and we thought he MIGHT be shaved. My sister checked out his tongue, didn't mention seeing any pink.

Hope his owner finds him, and I'll check out bay area CL.

-Dawn-
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If i recall from the good old days of liivng in the bay area, Fairfied is a kill sheltor and a fast one, so if you can, keep an eye on him. I had to guard a lost Chow one time at the Vallejo sheltor from being sent out to Fairfield, the owner finelly showed up. The Vallejo sheltor says they are a no kill but sends them out to fairfield to do the dirty work.

Fairfield also uses the inmates from the prison or what ever it is next door to help and alot of those guys arn't to kind to the sheltor dogs.
dawnapbt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dawnapbt »

I don't believe the Solano County Animal Control has such a policy. At least, they claim they do not euthanize dogs unless they become sick or are unadoptable due to temperament, but I have had no prior dealings with this AC.

I did call today, and the little guy is still there. No microchip, and no owner has inquired about him yet.

-Dawn-