Best Friend's Animal Sanctuary Visit

Talk about anything with your fellow Chow Chow regulars.

Moderator: chowadmin

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Best Friend's Animal Sanctuary Visit

Post by fillyok »

I wanted to share some thoughts and pictures from my recent visit to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. Some of you already know that it’s located in Southern Utah (Kanab) and it houses around 2,000 animals. I can’t describe how incredibly beautiful the scenery is…you’ll have to see the pictures. Maybe it’s just me, but I love the high desert terrain.

Some advice if you’re planning on visiting – I reserved a cabin, but they were having some maintenance issues so I was given a cottage at no extra cost. For a 7-day stay, it cost me about $365. And the cottages are very nice with a kitchen, sitting room with couch and recliner (cable TV), and two queen size beds in the bedroom. The bathroom has an extra large walk-in shower with a handicap chair available. The cottages are very handicap friendly. They have ceramic tile throughout, so if you have sleepover guests it’s much easier to clean up if they have an accident.

Which brings me to my visit - I arrived late Sunday night and couldn’t find the sanctuary so I decided to stay in the Holiday Inn Express (it was nice and they gave a discount for BF visitors). The first morning I scheduled a tour of the sanctuary. I had a brief interview regarding volunteering and we had to watch a short video. We then had a van tour of the sanctuary grounds. Our tour guide was a young lady from New York that had only been working there about 6 months. Everyone that I worked with was from somewhere else…North Carolina, Iowa, and Ohio. It seems that a lot of people visit this place and decide that it’s where they belong. There’s a memorial garden where visitors and staff can bury their loved ones. They also have wind chimes all over the garden to remember their visit and pets. It was beautiful and we were warned not to visit without plenty of Kleenex. Then we went on and stopped outside Little Lebanon. They had to quarantine the animals brought in from Beirut so a lot of them have stayed out there. Many of them have been adopted, but there are still many waiting. I was able to work with a couple of the dogs (Almond and Hazel – the Nut sisters). They were very sweet, but VERY energetic.

Volunteering at the sanctuary is an incredible experience. I worked one morning in Jill’s Diner (a house for cat’s with HIV and renal failure). The house consisted of four rooms. I cleaned the room with the most unfriendly cats, but they were basically healthy. Another room had HIV-positive cats, and the other two had urinary problems. The rooms were amazing. There were cubbies and beds everywhere. And the outdoor area outside each room was the same. Each room is kept extremely clean and sanitary. I was thinking with so many cats it would be a nightmare, but the care givers are extremely well-organized and thoughtful. The girl that worked there was so sweet and I could tell she loved the cats. I could hear her talking to them as I was working in the other room. Each room had a picture of each cat with their names and special instructions if they had any (mean, scratches, shy, etc).

I also spent each day working with the dogs. They have a collar system where you can tell if you’re allowed to interact with them. Green collars mean the dogs are okay to play with, red means staff-only, purple means good with children over 12 years old and I forgot what yellow meant (I never saw any of them). The first day I helped feed in a couple kennels where most of the dogs were red collars. (The staff thought that since I had Chows I could handle that area). I never got to interact with the dogs directly, but did get to help dish up their food. It’s a very regimented schedule. Each kennel has a chart of what run and what dog gets what and how much food. Some dogs have certain dietary needs. Each kennel consists of five runs and the kennels are shaped in an octagon so each run can see the others. Also each run has two doors in case one of the dogs likes to guard a door and the other dogs are intimidated. I was allowed to walk a few dogs that day.

My favorite place to work was The Garden. These kennels were located in Dogtown Heights. They were mainly adoptable dogs with a few that had special needs. Tamara was the caregiver there and she was amazing. She gave up her life in North Carolina to move there and take care of dogs. As soon as I got there she had me walk Tobin. He looked like a skinny gray German Shepherd. She told me where to walk him on the trail and not to give him treats (she explained later). After our walk I was able to feed Tobin. He had to stand with his front feet on a chair and after he finished he had to stay in that position for 15 minutes. Tobin was owner-surrendered because of his medical condition. His esophageal muscles were paralyzed, so he needed special care. I saw pictures of when he first arrived and he looked like a skeleton. No telling how many “Tobins” were there at the sanctuary. Tamara took care of two kennels with who knows how many dogs and she seemed to know each dog personally. She made me smile because when she talked about each dog she would always say the same thing “he/she’s so sweet…isn’t he/she cute?” She had five dogs herself and two of them came to work with her each day. That’s one of the perks of this place, you can bring your pet to work if they get along with people and animals. One of the Garden’s dogs, a Husky named Danali, was adopted my last day there.

I also got to work with the horses one morning. Horse HQ was right outside my cottage so it was convenient. I helped three other ladies muck some areas. They picked up poop and carried on conversations like it was the most normal thing in the world. Luckily there was a 4-wheeler with a trailer instead of wheelbarrows to help us. I grew up with horses and this was much easier than I remembered. Once Jackie was ready to go on the feed run I went with her to help (and see the sights). She loaded all the feed buckets (with names on them) and bails of hay and off we went. Her Border Collie and Pit Bull (Charlotte and Lucy) were in the back seat supervising. We made the rounds and I got to hear Jackie’s story. She’s British and has lived in Utah about 14 years, but has only worked there a few months. Horses are her passion and she pointed to the beautiful scenery and said “welcome to my office”. There’s an Appaloosa horse that’s 45 years old!! His corral is where one of the Disney movies was filmed and right down from his corral is the area where the movie “The Outlaw Josie Wales” was filmed.

I only ate at Angel’s Village once, but it was great. The outdoor seating area has the most spectacular view!! The food was good, but the best part was one of the original founders, Gabriel, sat with me while we ate lunch. He told me how he and his friends purchased the land in 1984 and how tough it was at first. It took them over 10 years to finally think that they would make this idea work. He was very nice and his British accent made him seem even more polite. I asked him how many pets he had…2 dogs and 22 cats!!! We even discussed some politics once he found out I was military. I’m not big on discussing that kind of stuff but it was okay.

If you decide to visit the sanctuary I would recommend staying on the grounds. Plan on working hard (but it’s not necessary) and give it some time to get used to the elevation if you live in a different area of the States. I think the elevation is between 5,000 and 6,000 feet. I noticed a huge difference. I huffed and puffed more on my walks with the dogs (the Garden dogs have a half mile walk and I walked about 5 or 6 each time I was there). I also noticed that I was really tired at the end of the day. Some people experience dizziness too. Definitely take a dog home for a sleepover. I only got to do it the first night (you have to check one out by 4pm at Dog HQ). I took Aztec home. He was a 1-year old Pit Bull. He hated being cooped up, so the caregivers always try to find someone to take him home at night. He was sooooo sweet. He wanted to be near me all the time. I fell asleep on the couch and he was laying on top of me the whole time. When we went to bed that night he wasn’t satisfied with just being in the bed, he wanted to be on top of me. He would literally get face-to-face with me and I had to move him off of me. Then he would lay over the top of me again. It was really hard to take him back in the morning, but I’m sure he’ll find a home soon.

Best Friends is an amazing place and was well worth the 19 hour drive to get there. I loved my time there, but really wanted to get home to my furkids.

The Welcome Center
Aztec
Breathless
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Breathless »

What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing your experience and pictures :D . Especially how you described Aztec's sleepover was very touching. He sounds like a very sweet boy.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Phyllis, this sounds like such an amazing place and an amazing trip, it's so wonderful that you did this. Thanks you so much for sharing this with us.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Thanks for sharing your experience. Anyone who goes there to stay, it's like a working holiday? Who pays for the vet bills, food, cleaning stuff, staff? All through private donations? Is it possible to go there by greyhound? Or is a car required to buy groceries and to generally get around?

karin
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

It sounds wonderful. They need to franchise this in other parts of the country! Your chowdren must feel secure living with you, Phyllis. I get the impression you travel a bit. What a beautiful story, thanks for sharing.
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

What a great thing you did to help these animals by giving them the gift of your time! :D

Please don't think I am just trying to be a party poo, but there are a few things that are important for folks to know about "Best Friends".

I live in Utah so I know a few things first hand.
The simplest truth is this;
While BF warehouses terminally ill and otherwise unadoptable animals to "preserve life at any cost", healthy, adoptable animals that just need a little more time are being euthanized by the THOUSANDS because BF "Doesn't have room."
Yes, BF is a "No Kill" sancuary yet their stance prevents thousands of second chances for animals that at least have the hope of finding a forever home and make no mistake about it, they are KILLED.

Recently, BF turned down several local animals in need saying they were still beyond capacity after Katrina, but then flew in HUNDREDS of pets from Lebanon! HUH? :shock:
Well, it sure got the donations flowing in..(THIRTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS last year!),but do we need even MORE homeless pets here competing for homes we don't have anyway? I think not. :roll: :(

Of even more concern is that Best Friends has joined PETA in their stance against certain breeds and breeding in general!
Folks, this is a powerful bunch of people with the wrong idea joining another powerful bunch of people with the wrong idea. That should scare you. :shock:
Please take the time to read this link and check out the facts. Chow Chows are not on their hit list yet but they could be soon!

http://dogpolitics.typepad.com/my_weblo ... _new_.html
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I understand your thinking, because I have thought the same thing watching Animal Rescue. They throw all kinds of money saving dogs from the brink of death, only to deem them aggressive and euthanize them.

It is hard to see resources going to waste. But consider this- someone, or a group of someones got the ranch from a dream to a reality. And while others die as we watch resources go to animals we would not have picked, there are animals being saved, and that is always a good thing. Coming from Lebanon, the rescue probably knew they would arrive long before they actually did.

Politics are hard to work around. Especially in an enterprise like this. I guess if you don't like what they are doing choice wise, and who they affiliate with, you could find another rescue that has more agreeable politics, and support it instead. There really isn't much else you could do, if it is privately owned and funded. I still think what they are doing is a wonderful thing.
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

Auddymay wrote: I understand your thinking, because I have thought the same thing watching Animal Rescue. They throw all kinds of money saving dogs from the brink of death, only to deem them aggressive and euthanize them.
Yes, very sad indeed.
Auddymay wrote: It is hard to see resources going to waste. But consider this- someone, or a group of someones got the ranch from a dream to a reality.
Ironically, it was my husband that worked tirelessly to help find the property to do this. The windshield of our old Jeep Cherokee showed the proof with all the rockchips from searching the desert for just the right place...
Auddymay wrote: And while others die as we watch resources go to animals we would not have picked, there are animals being saved, and that is always a good thing. Coming from Lebanon, the rescue probably knew they would arrive long before they actually did.
Certainly, it is always a good thing to save an individual animal...but the cost of housing a terminally ill cat could save 10 healthy ones...that just doesn't make sense to me. Some do have to die and will die in spite of our best efforts all due to human stupidity and greed. It's aweful to make that decision who to save and who to sacrifice...I have had that horrible duty in the past in my work in shelters. It would have been so much easier to work under the cover of "No Kill", but this is not a perfect world and someone has to clean up the mess that irresponsibility leaves behind.
I think the original idea of BFAS has taken on a life of it's own, a mission to get publicity and donations above the good of the original plan.

Auddymay wrote: Politics are hard to work around. Especially in an enterprise like this. I guess if you don't like what they are doing choice wise, and who they affiliate with, you could find another rescue that has more agreeable politics, and support it instead. There really isn't much else you could do, if it is privately owned and funded. I still think what they are doing is a wonderful thing.
I do support other rescues that do wonderful things, yet they struggle because they don't have the movie-star backing, millions in revenue, and all the publicity...

If you take the time to read the link, those politics will HAVE to be worked around, unless we sit by while they coerce the general public into exterminating our favorite breeds in a misguided attempt to make the world a safer place.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

While I can understand your point, I also see the point of the BF personnel. I was told while I was there (I don't know if it's true or not) that BF cannot take in local animals until they go to a local pound/humane society. This gives the owner the chance to look for their lost pet. I know they do take in abused animals from some of the local reservations.
And one of the workers told me she was driving into work and saw another co-worker on the side of the road by the entrance to the sanctuary. She stopped to see what he was doing...someone had dumped two Pit Bulls in a crate. Those dogs were taken in by BF.

While no place can be perfect, from what I've seen personally, I think BF does an amazing job of caring for thousands of animals every single day. I didn't consider any part of the sanctuary that I visited as a "warehouse". How can one put a priority on a healthy animal over a terminally ill one? The kind of care I witnessed doesn't come cheap (it does take publicity and probably some politics). The amount of love the animals receive from the care givers at BF is priceless.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I guess I should've read your link before I posted my previous post. What a load of crap!! That was some of the worst propaganda I've read in a long time.

If you want me to believe that BF wants to get rid of all Pit Bulls, you'll have to do better than that link of nonsense. My sleepover buddy was a Pit Bull and all the workers loved him. I can't remember how many times I heard "I just love Pitties". I would believe that BF personnel think Pitties should be spayed/neutered just because they see so many of them come to the sanctuary.

And as for "unloading" Katrina animals, I happened to work with several Katrina rescues while I was there...guess they haven't been unloaded yet. Why wouldn't BF want to try to get pure bred dogs to a rescue for their breed?? Wouldn't it be easier to re-home them by working with people that know that breed? That only makes sense to me.

I guess in your world only healthy animals would be saved and it wouldn't require any publicity to maintain your shelter. Good luck with that dream...
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

fillyok wrote:I guess in your world only healthy animals would be saved and it wouldn't require any publicity to maintain your shelter. Good luck with that dream...
In my dream NO animal would have to die simply because there are too many. Too many irresponsible humans that is...
This is what we should ALL be focusing on.

BTW, that isn't "my" link. It was sent to me by people that know what the hidden agendas really are.
Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lucydog »

Controversy or no, thanks for doing this and for sharing the information. As difficult as it is for Pit Bulls and Chows to find homes, I really, really feel sad about the horses. It's hard enough finding a home for a big dog, much less a huge horse with all the expenses and needs they have. Those poor babies. Here in Texas, they go to the slaughterhouses by the truckloads.

I love Aztec. He looks like my Lucy when she was young! What a doll. I see that he has the genetic Couch/Bed trait. All Pit Bulls want to be in the bed. Lucy sleeps under the covers in the wintertime.

I hope he finds a home soon.
Because owning just one banned breed isn't enough!
-- Rest In Peace Jasper the Chow Chow & Lucy the Pit Bull.
Dallas Pet Laws Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-2924-Dallas-Pet-Laws-Examiner
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Phyllis

Thank you so much for sharing. I read it all, loved the pictures.

I remember back when you said you were going and I was really curious to see what it was all about. I had done some research on BF back when we were looking for a home for a couple geriatric pups on the site. I read both sides of the issue and I'm happy to see that they do take care and love their animals.

I do understand what you are saying Work but please if you want talk about those issues... start another thread. Lets leave this one for phyllis to talk about HER experience and for people to ask questions about HER experiences.

That is a moral dilema that mostly just makes my head want to explode.
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I'm really sorry about the controversy. I didn't mean to get out of control on here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I happen to think that BF has a good impact on the welfare of thousands of animals whether they're from the local area or from across the world.

Lucydog, the horses are in retirement there. Most of them are old and/or lame. They just needed a place where they can live out their lives. They're well taken care of and they have plenty of company. There's a place much like it here in Texas, ouside San Antonio in Pipe Creek - it's called Brighter Days Horse Refuge. I used to go there every Saturday just to feed the horses and talk to them. The owners are retired military and wonderful people.

Pit bulls are probably more discriminated against than our Chows. I don't know if you've heard about the recent events in San Antonio. A pit bull killed a young girl last week and another one attacked a 60 year old man. I wish they could figure out what prompts such attacks. All the pit bulls I've ever been around have been big babies and loved attention. Aztec was a sweetie pie...he stole my heart that's for sure.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Dog fighting is the PB's biggest problem. Their strength and powerful jaws make them ideal candidates for fighting. Like any other breed, they are mostly docile with humans. It's the training, and breeding for aggressiveness that is causing the problems. IMO, a PBT is in much greater danger than the Chow. At least with a Chow, they aren't bred to fight, and just want to be left alone anyway. Also, and this is just my perception, there seems to be alot more PBTs than Chows, so they will fail more often than a Chow when it comes to aggression and attacks.
Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lucydog »

Oh, I realize that the horses are in retirement! I meant that feel sorry for those who don't have a place to go. :-(
I know Pipe Creek! Gorgeous country out there.

Pray that Chows never become anywhere near as "popular" as APBTs. It is worse now than it has been in the 11 years I have been involved in APBTs.

The situation with San Antonio is that the dog was stuck in a fence, and as the child tried to free the dog, it lashed out at the child as it was probably choking to death in the fence at the time. The problem is, as far as Pit Bulls are concerned (and I would venture to say, any large breed) if a child can easily physically touch a dog through a fence, the fence is NOT adequate for the dog. At least not without direct supervision from the owner.

Our biggest problem is not dogfighters, it is the more numerous clueless owners who fail to train, socialize and confine their dogs. They leave them outside all day in a 3 foot chain link fence and then wonder why they have a problem.

I don't want to hijack the thread or the Chow board, but that's the situation now and the reason why Pit Bulls and Rottweilers are being banned or declared dangerous, and Chows get added to the list sometimes. Or may be added in the future.

I get just as many nasty comments about Chows when I take Jasper out as I do about the Pit Bulls (Maybe more - can you believe people are so rude. "By the way, lady, your kid looks like he is headed to the State Pen. Have a nice day"). So, we must all be vigilant.
Dallas Pet Laws Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-2924-Dallas-Pet-Laws-Examiner
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Some people never cease to amaze me with their thoughtless comments. I met one lady at the sanctuary (she's a long-time volunteer - every winter). AFTER she knew that I had three Chows she went on to tell me that "Chows have earned their reputation by being aggressive". She also told me that she had tried to work with one of the Katrina rescues (actually he was born at the sanctuary) - a Chow puppy. She didn't care for him because he was so "unfriendly and aloof". I told Tamara (the lady at the Gardens) about the older lady and she was furious. She couldn't believe she had been so rude to me. She showed me pics of Tyler (the Chow puppy) and how he had come around. She loved him! He was adopted by a lady in New Hampshire that already had a couple Chows. I was wondering if she was on this forum.

I just heard on the television that the PB that killed the little girl was PTS. It was just a news clip between shows so it didn't say much else. I'd read that the little girl had freed that poor dog a few times when he got tangled on the fence and she had always asked permission to do it. Those owners should be hung from the fence to see how they like it.

I grew up with dogs being kept outside (with shelter), but now I feel bad for keeping our pets that way. I see how much mine love to be with me and enjoy the warmth (or coolness) of a home. The weather here in South Texas can be brutal at times. A friend of mine was thinking about getting a dog for her daughter, but didn't want to let the dog in the house. I told her not to get a dog.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I wish the news media would stop using the name of the breed of dogs who are involved in these things and say it like this, "a dog that was chained up attacked and kille..." Because it doesn't matter what the breed of dog was in this situation it was the fact that the dog was chained up! It's been proven, all dog experts, (who really are experts) know that if you chain a dog up on a short chain for hours and hours and then it gets loose it will viciously attack the first thing it runs into, even if that first thing is the child trying to untangle it.

This is why I'm in favor of "Chain laws" to stop these things from happening. Most people have more sense and don't do it, but there is always that one and that's the one the law needs to watch.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

fillyok wrote:Some people never cease to amaze me with their thoughtless comments. I met one lady at the sanctuary (she's a long-time volunteer - every winter). AFTER she knew that I had three Chows she went on to tell me that "Chows have earned their reputation by being aggressive". She also told me that she had tried to work with one of the Katrina rescues (actually he was born at the sanctuary) - a Chow puppy. She didn't care for him because he was so "unfriendly and aloof". I told Tamara (the lady at the Gardens) about the older lady and she was furious. She couldn't believe she had been so rude to me. She showed me pics of Tyler (the Chow puppy) and how he had come around. She loved him! He was adopted by a lady in New Hampshire that already had a couple Chows. I was wondering if she was on this forum.
Man she must be a piece of work if a puppy could figure out she wasn't right. And I'm sure the puppy was "unfriendly and aloof" because he knew she didn't like him. Why should he waste his time with her? She's just mad because chows are smarter and more aware than she is.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

When I used to live in the bay area I walked Pekoe all over the city it didn't matter what parts or how bad, if we hadn't seen it we walked it so we sometimes walked in some hard core area's. I always noticed that every time I walked past gang members and their Pitt bulls they would always pull their Pitts away and would comment to their dogs you don't want to mess with that Chow. One day Pekoe and I were sitting at Berkley Marina on a hill just minding our own business and these gang member looking guys deliberately walked their two Pitt bulls off the sidewalk and started to walk towards us like they were just looking for trouble and a dog their dogs could attack as they got closer one of the guys tightened his grip on his Pitts leash and said to his friend that's a Chow don't want to mess with that so they walked off in another direction, Probably because Pekoe just goes into a staring trance and just locks into trouble. One day while passing some gang member looking types with their Pitts that were just sitting around it their yard, as I passed they made some good comments about Pekoe like good looking Chow, how old is she, just every day dog talk so as we were talking I ask them what this thing about Chows was if they are considered to be so mean why do you guys use Pitt bulls and not Chows, Their answer was, Chow's are great as a guard dog but are just naturally mean and can't be trained to attack or fight on command they are just born mean, they are dangerous and unpredictable so can't be trained as a fighting dog. I don't know how true this is but its good they think this way and aren't messing with the Chows. My opinion about the rep Chows have is good, keep it that way it keeps the Chows away from the bad types and its keeps the ignorant that don't know any better away from them.

Like the other poster said, I have been around hundreds of Pitt's, Family owned and gang member owned, I haven't yet to see a mean one and have commented at times I wouldn't want a Pitt because they are to friendly and submissive not that I don't want a friendly dog but every Pitt I have seen has been on its back in a submissive position, Maybe its just Pekoe demanding respect from them. She's had a few of them on their backs when they have bothered her to much at the dog parks, She doesn't bite but she sure makes it clear, leave me alone.

How many Chows were at this place and do they take or have they ever had a Chow there? I've seen alot of dog rescue places but many of them don't want Chows, A friend of mine has a friend that runs two large rescue originations one in CA and a couple in the east, he spent alot of time rescuing dogs and filming what was going on during Katrina and is making a documenentery about it but no Chows, Alot of rescue's do a great job but don't rescue Chows. Pekoe was rescued from one of the largest rescues in Northern Ca but they told us they normally don't Rescue Chows but because of the circumstances with Pekoe (Don't know what the circumstances were) they took her. If I see a rescue that doesn't have a Chow I usually don't want anything to do with them. I know they are doing a great Job in rescuing but Chows need rescuing to so if they have problems with Chows I have a problem with them, No donations or support from me.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Best Friends doesn't discriminate against any breeds...I mentioned the one Chow puppy they had. There was another older male named Chachi that I happened to see as he was being walked by another volunteer. As I was out walking a few others I noticed some bigger dogs in a kennel furthest from the hq building. I asked about them and was told that most of them were probably going to spend their days there since they had some aggression issues. I didn't push the matter, but I showed up early the next day after lunch just to take a closer look...the dogs were going crazy barking at me. One might've been a Chow (Samoyed?)and I think another was probably a mix. Those are the ones I really wanted to be around, but of course they can't allow that due to liability.

I know what you mean about the Chow breed being so different and I'm glad. I had a great visit with Aztec (the PB), but I forgot what regular dogs were like and how much attention they demanded. Between all three of mine they give me and demand as much attention as one regular dog...I prefer it that way. Of course as I'm typing this two of them are right beside me begging for scratches.
Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lucydog »

Jeff, there is a kernel of truth to what the gangsters said about APBTs. If you have ever seen any old paintings of a dog fighting pit, the dogs are fighting within a few inches away from the owners and a judge. They have dog-aggression bred into them (and don't need to be trained to fight dogs - they do or they don't) but contrary to the news media's reports, it takes a lot to get them to bite a human. That is why they are abused and stolen out of their yards so much. I don't think a typical Chow Chow would put up with what a lot of APBTs go through. The abuser would get bitten (and rightly so).

Also, I thought Chow Chows were hard to read until I got one myself. It can be unnerving to be evaluated by a Chow! Lucy used to be my late-night walk dog, but now that she is old and going deaf, I take Jasper along to protect us both! He is the only decent watchdog in our house. Our others will just let everyone in and give them the burglar alarm code while they are at it.

It is hard to find shelters here who will take Chows, and a lot of the city shelters put them to sleep along with all the APBTs.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

The whole time I've been reading your post it never occurred to me until just a few minutes ago when I finished the book, but I was reading a book put out by one of their photographers. It's called Not Left Behind, it's about rescuing the pets of Katrina (which is my topic of interest lately so I'm reading a bunch of books about it). It's more of a photessay. I thought it was very good, but I'd say obviously be prepared to cry (although it focuses more on success stories and the kindness of everyone in and out of Best Freinds). The royalties from the book go to Best Friends.