Urgent Young Chow Chow in GA - Can you sponsor or rescue her

For people/groups offering Chow Chow rescue and help.

Moderator: chowadmin

mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Urgent Young Chow Chow in GA - Can you sponsor or rescue her

Post by mytwodoxies »

The petfinder site is being updated so watch for a photo later.
She has until Wednesday..

If you can't take her but can sponsor her, she can go to a rescue at no charge to them (already vetted) to make it easier for a rescue to say yes to her. They do take partial sponsorships to.

If a rescue is interested, if she is spoken for, she can be
held over awaiting pick up/transport. etc. We just need someone to speak up for her...

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=7587502
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Hmmm, I will be leaving for Florida(Christmas) early Sunday a.m., back home on Tuesday night, home for Wednesday, but leaving again Thurday morning for out of state work and won't be back until Friday night. I have put my kids in the kennel for the week and will pick them up next Saturday morning. The only day I will be able to get her will be Wednesday, but have over committed work wise already.

Not sure if any of this will help.... but if rescue will pull her I can get her next Saturday and hold her for a short time.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

I just spoke to Sherry(sp?) at NEGAS, and spoke for Hanna. I can get her next Saturday.

Mytwodoxies: what is the plan after that?
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

you are so awesome!!!
She said it was a done deal - that she would hold her over? :)

There are transports that regularly go to the northeast. I think one that may be grouped together for the midwest. I will start working on emailing around to find a permanent placement for her :)

The folks i found at saving shelter pets tries to network to save dogs in highkill shelters and get them to a loving home or rescue and i just couldn't not post her sweet face here.

I so wish i had known these folks when i was here trying to save that family - but the shelter they ended up in wasn't as rescue friendly - this one really wants folks to help them get these babies out.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

mytwodoxies wrote:you are so awesome!!!
She said it was a done deal - that she would hold her over? :)

There are transports that regularly go to the northeast. I think one that may be grouped together for the midwest. I will start working on emailing around to find a permanent placement for her :)

The folks i found at saving shelter pets tries to network to save dogs in highkill shelters and get them to a loving home or rescue and i just couldn't not post her sweet face here.

I so wish i had known these folks when i was here trying to save that family - but the shelter they ended up in wasn't as rescue friendly - this one really wants folks to help them get these babies out.
They said they would hold her for me until this Saturday, She took my name and phone number and said no problem. So hopefully you can get her placed sometime in between. I can foster her, but travel often making day trips several times a week. Hopefully it wont take to long to get her a home.
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

Yep - i think it is :)

I will be working the next few days on all my contacts to pad the deck to get her on her way to a rescue group or permanent home :)
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

mytwodoxies,

how is your search for a home for hanna coming?
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

I have not found a home yet. I am still emailing - a lot of folks are gone between christmas and new years - but i am still trying.

A bunch of dogs got picked up by rescue and they have some empty runs so it looks like she has just a tiny bit more time in case it doesn't work out :) That's why they said she could be heldover.

Crossing my fingers that a lot of people don't surrender their dogs when their leases are up this weekend.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Doxies:

I talked to NEGAS this a.m. and Hanna is still there. She she had been given a parvo/distemper and a dewormer. They had not tested for heartworms and I have asked them to do so before I pick her up today.

She will spend the new year with us and hopefully will soon be off to a rescue or a new home.

I will pm you with my ph.#, call me and let me know when you find her a home.
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

Awesome!

I am busily working away - there are a few leads - just waiting for something to pop.

Chris
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Well I got her. She is a little timid and shy but a sweet dog still. I think she is mixed with rottie, but is small in size. Also, I had her tested for HW and she is a BIG positive. They started her on a wormer and gave me the 3 remaining treatments to give to her over the next 3 days. There was no charge to adopt her, but the HW treatment will be expensive. She didn't get her full range of shots either, just a distemper/parvo and a kennel cough. Not sure if she is fixed, but they said she felt like she was. She was a stray and they didn't know much else about her.

So ball is in your court now..
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

Can you get some pictures of her?
That would help.

I am working out all the details - will have some news shortly on all fronts.

I will email or give you a ring later when i can break away
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

I've been trying to get some pictures of her but she just wont look in the camera. She is a little withdrawn at the moment. I'll get her outside after it quits raining and then should be able to get some good shots.
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

Cool. I bet she will warm up in time. Poor little girl. It must have been such a tough time being a stray. (have you tried tasty morsel bribery LOL. I am sure you have).

How big do you think she is - weight range wise if you were to make a guess? I have someone working on a possibility for her as we speak and they were curious so they could talk her up.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

When I got her home she was a little food aggressive but has seemed to have assimilated quite well. I went thru a whole block of cheese in a "getting to know you" session. She loves human contact and isn't hand shy. My guess on weight, hmm, probably 35 lbs. Black or Blue Chow mix with Rottie or some shepard type (or both) but is a sweet gentle dog. I can now pet all dogs together without any uncomfortable moments.

She seems to have the heartworm breathing hard thing going on too, so she needs medical attention soon. I really don't have the funds to take on another serious case, but can keep her until we can find her someone who can.

Here are a few pics...

Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Doxies, Any luck?

I am beginning to worry about her, she may need to begin the heartworm treatment soon, she has a serious gagging issue which may or may not be related. I hope its not kennel cough. They gave her the bordatello just as I picked her up, don't know why they waited, I guess to see if anybody would pick her up and not waste the meds on one they would have to kill.

If it came down to it, what about passing a hat to collect some funds for her vet bill?
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

Just an update - here is the updated thread on Hanna

http://chowchow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3430