Spayed female having slight "period"

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mrtdwt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Spayed female having slight "period"

Post by mrtdwt »

When we adopted Lucy she had just been spayed by the rescue's clinic. She still had the stitches and the shaved belly. Odd things are happening here that we just started putting together. Maxx is finding her very "interesting" if you know what I mean, and he is neutered. Plus, we've been finding "drops" of light blood-colored discharge in spots on our floors. Not to sound ignorant, but is it possible for a dog to have a cycle even though she has been spayed?

We got her when she was approx. 5 months old, she is now about 1 year old according to the rescue.

Michelle
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Take her to the vet. A different vet. There have been incidents were a dog was not fixed or it could be some other health problem.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

HAVE A LOOK AT HER "GIRLIE BITS" AND CHECK IF THERE IS ANY BLOOD ROUND. iF SHE HAS BEEN SPAYED, HER VULVA WILL NOT BE SWOLLEN IN ANY WAY.
IF SHE HAS BLOOD ROUND HER VULVA COULD BE SHE HAS A URINARY TRACT INFECTION AND NEED ANTIBIOTICS SO EITHER WAY, A VISIT TO THE VET IS NECESSARY.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Sounds like it could be a UTI. Shiloh had the drops of blood that I only noticed when we were on our walks and she marked her spots along the way.
Please take her to the vet before it becomes too serious.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
mrtdwt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mrtdwt »

Thanks for the responses. I will take a look and see if she is swollen and taker her to the vet right away. It just seemed so odd. We never thought about UTI because we hadn't had to deal with that before.

Michelle
mrtdwt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mrtdwt »

The vet says in all likelyhood it's a UTI. (The chow chow.org tribe has spoken - I felt better going in with what it might be. Big Thanks!)

Her vulva was not swollen. Might be bladder stones but we're going with the 10 days of antibiotics first to see if that takes care of it. He says there have been cases of ectopic ovaries, that were missed in the spaying process, that have caused the hormones to cause a heat after they have been spayed. If the antibiotics doesn't take care of it, then an x-ray is in order to see if they can see any bladder stones. If there are, that would require surgery. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's simply the UTI.

Thanks again all. Have a great Sunday.

Michelle
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Jolly good - I would expect that the antibiotics will deal with the matter nicely. Just make sure she has plenty of fresh water and in the future, just keep having a little look in her knickers to see if there is blood there. Also, watch in the future if she drinks more water than usual and also if she spends a penny often. Sometimes, when this happens the UTI can come back again. It is very painful for them so just keep a weather eye on her pants! :)
chris

Post by chris »

Pants... LOL.. Judy, I could see you saying "britches"... :lol:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Well Chris, we could say knickers, pants, pantaloons, bloomers, drawers, breeches,briefs but there is nothing brief about a chow chow's waggy-baggy knicker-drawers is there!! :lol:
stephanielynne10
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stephanielynne10 »

my dog was not spayed properly, and was having faux heats with emitting odors and also small amounts of blood. I couldnt figure out why she would throw herself at unfixed males at the dog parts a few times a year and why all the males would follow her at the dog park.
When she ingested part of a tennis ball, she had to go to ER and when they opened her up the vet noticed the botched spay job, left bits and pcs of her uterous, scar tissue every where. She was fixed properly. Now she has major UTI probelms.

Get your dog checked out again. When Scarlet was first fixed at 5mths old, I was going to college had no $$ and took her to a low cost clinic. Not that all low cost clinics are bad, but if I had to do it again, I would have paid more to have it done at a different place, and also would have waited until she had her first heat.
Chow Chow Power!!