What is my course of action now?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

What is my course of action now?

Post by Guest »

Chi-Ching is now scared of BOTH my girls, Caitlyn, my 3 year old went to pet him and he snapped at her face leaving a scratch mark by her eye. She didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I know he had a hard day yesterday but the kids weren't riled up and he was just kicking back with us but she has got about a 3 inch scratch by her eye on her cheek.
As been discussed, this can't happen. But how do I get everyone to get along. I just want a happy FRIENDLY pup that we can pet without getting bitten. He is very bonded to me so I am trying to lessen the amount of time that I spend with him(holding him and just with me time) I want him to bond with the entire family, especially my girls. I do not want a dog that I am going to be scared that they are going to be bit everytime they pet him. Man, we were making so much headway before that friggin "evaluator" saw him. I feel like I sent him three steps back. I feel so bad for my daughter, who for some reason shows no ill will towards him, she loves him to death and I can't even let them pet him.
HONESTLY, What do I do now? I feel like I am a failing chow and kid mama. :cry:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Hells Bells! :(

How responsive would your girls be to absolutely ignoring Chingy?

Would they listen and understand if you explained to them the concept of totally ignoring him for a while and not petting him or playing with him or anything?

Just a thought? :?

If they can be persuaded to do this, HE will soon get fed up with being ignored - I think?!! :?:

This will need the children's full cooperation though and they are very young, bless them.

I think the first this to be done as soon as the vet will do is to relieve the little blighter of his nuts. :roll:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Chowlover - check your pm's.

Also, have you spoken to the breeder? What is she saying? Does she have any recommendations?
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart

Post by Guest »

After tonight, I think they are okay with ignoring him. He doesn't seem real offended with being ignored. lol
I am hoping his "down time" after he is fixed will be a little breather for everyone, him included.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

The "big snip" is a great first step to getting his 'emotions' under control. For a long time, Rogue and my son did have an "I'll pretend you don't exist if you pretend I don't exist" relationship. They still fall back on that once in a while.

Check your pm's again. Hang in there.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I agree about ignoring. Let Chingy make nice in his own time. Have you had him about a month? It took that long for Lily to want to be pet, as opposed to us wanting to pet her! She tolerated it, but only for very short periods of time. Then one day, she started approaching us and giving ankle kisses..I love those! Soon after she figured out head scratching really is the berries. Also, now we have to actually try and curb her enthusiasm when we get home after a separation, which isn't often because I'm lucky to be home with her. Don't dispare. Just keep using NILF, and keep the kid encounters to treat giving. :wink:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

:roll:
Last edited by Auddymay on Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
tekendall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tekendall »

My chow puppy (who is 6 months old now) is very scared of children. She doesn't growl at them, just tries to run and get out of their way if they approach her. A trainer suggested having kids walk by her and drop a treat in front of her and keep going without trying to pet her. The idea being, that after awhile she would see kids as a good thing as they brought her treats. I don't have any kids, so, for me it's kinda hard to test this. Just an idea if all else fails. Good luck and don't give up!!

Post by Guest »

Chingy really likes the girls and he will initiate play sometimes but he has been good since this last incident. The girls have ignored him and I have taken him to family members homes to help him get used to other people(there is only one person there, not like a family reunion or anything lol) But he let my brother in law pet him last night and my sister pet him the day before, it took some convincing and a few treats but he is getting it. I think he will be fine. We have been working with him and I think that as long as we are consistant, he will be a good well balanced chow dog!

Thanks for everyones help!
Tammie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chingy and the girls

Post by Tammie »

I don't know if my idea will help, as you know Chingy and your girls best you wil have to judge. This is only what worked for a chow I had. I think I read that Chingy feels safe with you and follows you around. That's perfect if you want to try this method.

I used it to teach the 4 yr chow to get along with my little kitten, and it was also seeming to work with the chow and my 2yr niece. the chow liked to chase and pounce on and pick up and shake kitties. The kitten was terroried of dogs. Working on the theory that if they spent time together and nothing worth being afraid of happaned to the cat, and the dog came to realize that he had to be nice to kitty, I spent time each day with the cat and dog. I held the cat in my lap, and grabbed fur and made the excited and whining dog lay down. Please, mom, kitties taste sooo good! And talked to cat in a soft voice to calm her down and stern voice when the dog misbehaved. It worked out really well for them both, eventually the kitten was no longer scared of the chow, and I think that and knowing it was mom's kitty took all the excitement of the kill out of the chow. My kitten was always safe with the dog, and would play with the dog who would pick kitty up and carry her around.

With my niece I would just make sure that I was always right there with her when she was around the dog, they never had any oportunity to be around each other without supervision. When she wanted to pet Sims, I would be right there, b/c Sims freaked out if little Clara did something unexpected. Like that dumb woman who scared Chingy in the first place! I have some words for her!!!! Does she think treating a dog that is unfamiliar with her in that manner is going to make the animal safe around children? Not any breed! ... back to my point, I would pet Sims like I was petting a spooked cat, very gently, and tell with a soft voice that she needed to be gentle with Simba. I think because both the dog and the girl trusted me, and the girl followed my example, they both stayed calm because I was calm. If you can create a few good experiences for Chingy with your girls, I think he will turn around quick. It's more important that he doesn't have a really bad experience with them, so he can become accustomed once more to their company. He'll see as time goes by that there isn't anything to be afraid of .

I read your post earlier today and I just couldn't not post back once I realized that I knew something that worked with Simba, b/c he was so touchy. I really think if you can keep the girls and puppy seperate except when you can be right there to make sure that all of them are calm and playing nice, just a little while each day for a week or two, Chingy will be fine with your girls. Just give him time to feel safe again. You know, I think he doesn't even have to have a good time with the girls, just a chance to learn that nothing really bad is going to happen to him. I'm sorry, I did not mean to ramble here, but that horrible woman just made me so mad. Take a little puppy learning to feel safe with socializing and teach him that people are scary! I think Chow Chows are just little insecure and need reasuring, and that is why they bond so closely with people they know. They do not need to be given a reason to be more nervous! I know I sound like I'm on a soapbox, sorry, but in my experience animals can learn so much if given the chance. Except for people like that mannerless woman, who just have to kill an animal for having the intelligence to know it isn't safe with a loose cannon like her! If she had worked with Chingy for days, and spent time slowly working up to behaving like that, it really would have taught him that he doesn't have to be scared of that behavior. She did it all wrong! Makes so mad I could spit! You're doing a great job with Chingy, don't be worried. You influence Chingy's every day with goodness and that woman was just a bad few minutes.

Oh, I have a chow now Raven who once got loose and the shelter had him, they weren't going to offer him for adoption, just put him down. We go to the dog park everyday, no one who knows Raven can believe that he would have to be put down. If you microchip the animal then as long as the shelter is equipted to check for the chip they are required to contact you before they can euthenise (sp?). I'm sure this info is already on the site somewhere, but felt I had to mention it.
Love & Laughter,
Tammie