I am thinking about owning a chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

urchin
Rank 0
Rank 0

I am thinking about owning a chow

Post by urchin »

Hello, I have been looking at different breeds for a new pet. Chows are very appealing to me. I have read some information on them, and they seem like a good match for me. Honestly, initially I looked into Chows because of thier look, but after reading, thier temperment is a positive as well. I do have a couple of questions though.

1. The rough coated Chows are the ones that I like the best. I have seen pictures of Chows that have that nice "lion" look to them, and others that have coats that look more like a Collie (matted). Now, I know a lot of the pictures on the internet are of show dogs (that "lion" look). That is what looks best to me, not the more "matted" look. Is the difference in the dog's coat a grooming difference, or genetic? And, since I do like the more "lion" look, how do I go about getting it in a Chow?

2. How do you reccomend I go about finding a Chow? I live in N.C., and I have not owned a dog in quite some time. And probably to make matters worse, I really have fallen for the cream colored Chows.

I know these questions are very confusing, and general, but it has been hard to find the answers to them just searching around. I know that finding the right Chow is a process, and I am in no hurry. I want to make a well-informed choice because it is a very important one.

Thank you.

Post by Guest »

Well, I think you are on the right track, you may want to check out Chow Rescues.
I have my first purebred Chow puppy and I also fell for the cream, no offense to anyone else on here at all but I think they are the most goergous color!! (Of course I am bias because of Chi-Ching! lol)
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

like chowluver said you are on the right track going through your research, which many people of course do not do.

Well like she said go to a chow rescue or a local breeder, but I would recommend a chow rescue if your looking for just a pet. If you are looking for a chow to show in a show ring then I would recommend a good reputable breeder.

The look of the chow is a combination of grooming and genetics but mainly genetics. What gives the chow its lion look is the scowling expression, shape of the head and the mane. If you are wondering wether the pup will look like a lion look at the parents.

Go on the internet an look for a chow rescue and contact them...and all those procedures.

Shane
urchin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by urchin »

Thank you for your comments. I know that a dog's personnality is most important when looking for a pet. And from what I have read, a Chow will be good for me. And yes, I know that each dog are slightly different.
As far as a Chow's coat. I am more interested in a Chow that has more of a "full" coat. For the lack of better words, "fluffy" look.

I think I am more timid about some of the adoption centers that I have seen online, and not being as knowledgable as I should. But, I more worried about getting the "right" Chow that way. My heart breaks for those liitle guys, but not being an expert, I may not be able to handle a challenging dog.

Post by Guest »

Alot of Chows in Rescue are not there due to the chows temperment, alot of time it is due to BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) which forces an owner to have to give up their pet, alot of times an owner will move and cannot have his chow in his new place, also due to Chows being on the DDL (Dangerous Dog List) alot of insurances won't cover their owners while the chow is residing there. So they are forced to give up their dog, alot of times it is just that people bought a cute fluffy puppy and did no research into the breed and later on they realize that they are not the lovey dovey love everyone they meet type of teddy bear and they no longer want them.
I suggest that you go and look at the chows in rescue. Alot of times because of the chows temperment and it tending to ba 1 person or 1 family dog, alot of times those chows are unable to be adopted. If there are chows in rescue, they are going to be more then likely very friendly dogs who were raised and trained and socialized properly.

(I do chow rescue and also have worked at three shelters that is how I know this) So, please do go and look and see if there are any that suit you. You would be saving a life of a wonderful chow and also gaining a new friend. You never know, there may just be that sweet "fluffy" chow in rescue just waiting for YOU!!
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

hi there

My husband and I decided to go through a breeder rather than rescue for 2 reasons. One was for the same reason that you list and that was we were inexperienced Chow owners and were nervous about handling a possibly difficult dog. The other was because we planned on having children and although there are many wonderful endings with people getting the perfect Chow to fit in with a family, there were also many stories about difficulties with children.

But if you can take in a rescue - you should. I think knowing what we know now, we will do that next time around. There are so many chows out there that need good homes!

To find a breeder, we did a ton of research. We called everyone we found as asked a list of questions a mile long to figure out if they were reputable or not. There are many websites devoted to this - here is one of many!
http://members.tripod.com/~Marge_S_2/no ... reeder.htm
There are also MANY chow specific questions that you need to ask which you can find reference to on this site. The breeder should also want to know alot about you!

We have one that looks like a lion and one that looks like a bear. And let me tell you, they are just both the cutest things.

Good luck!

Mandy, Chewie & Ceyanne

urchin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by urchin »

What cute little ones you have! See, that is the type of Chow that I really fall for.

Thank you for your help. I will continue to search around online for rescues, but still look at breeders as well. I have had a hard time finding that "type" of Chow near me. No worries, there is no rush.