Sorry to all

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sorry to all

Post by Guest »

I just wanted to apologize, I get very defensive when it comes to my animals and my kids. I need a few days to cool down. I understand that everyone was just trying to give their advice and opinion and that is okay that we disagree on things, it would be pointless to agree on everything. But I have decided that Chi-Ching cannot act this way. I was grooming Koda yesterday and Chi-Ching was playing with him, My daughter sat down next to me and tried to distract him so I could finish grooming Koda, and he growled and tried to bite her. This CAN NOT go on any farther.
Last night I messed up and went to my dog training club and thought Koda was going to be taking his CGC test, well it turns out it is tonight, Anyway, they were having a trainers meeting and I had to wait there for hubby to come back and pick me up, Anyway, I asked them (there was about 15 different dog trainers there) about Chi-Ching, I told them about my problems with Makaylah. Also, I had him taken to the groomers and although, overall he did fine, when he was in the cage that they put them in (wall crates basically) He wouldn't let them get him out, he kept nipping at them.
So my trainers have set up a time on Friday that I am to take Chi-Ching in to a evaluator and have him tested. They will test him like you would see on animal planet with shelter dogs, they will test for food aggression, babies, strangers, etc. They are doing this all for free. I am kind of anxious to see what they come up with, with the results of this, I am supposed to see the head trainer at my club and have her set up a training schedule for him to stop this behaviour IMMEDIATELY. I think this is a good idea, what do you think??
Chi-Ching is the most loving puppy ever but he has a few "quirks" to work out, Has anyone else here ever had their dogs evaluated? Do you think this is a good idea?
Please give your HONEST opinions and I PROMISE to not take everything so seriousely. I will not get upset if you disagree with this but please do tell me your thought on this. Even you Judy, I would like to know your thoughts. I am sorry I got upset, like I said when it comes to my animals or my kids, I tend to get pretty defensive, even in person. I almost had a confrontation with a bunch of teenagers the other day when we were at McDonalds(in the play area) and they kept telling my girls to be quiet and then they started mocking them. Oh was I ever fuming!! They could have went into the adult area they were at least 15 probably older. So, although I got upset, I won't leave over that, I just needed to cool down. So please tell me what you think of this??
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan was evaluated at 12 weeks after my first trainer called him an "untrainable a**hole" (yes, that is a quote) and told me that I should put him down before he seriously hurt someone. :shock:

The evaluator was great. He took the time to get to know my dog and was very honest about the evaluation. He highlighted good things as well as negatives - and pointed out that many things were a double edged sword. (Example: Rogan is very self-confident. Translation - he's got strong nerves, but he's ALPHA all the way.)

I've been in your shoes, maybe that's why I came out so strongly at first as well. Strong-willed puppies are a handful (and can grow to be dangerous dogs if you don't take care of it), but in the end they are worth it.

BTW - part of the reason I went 'title crazy' on Rogue was to prove to that first trainer (a 'chow expert', mind you) that he could do it. Her male chow (two years older than Rogue) never did finish his CD. :wink:

I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. We're all in it for the same reasons though - to better this breed and show people that they are good dogs!
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart

Post by Guest »

I am the same way, I will not stop training with less then a Advanced Novice completion. I want to see if I can get him into trials eventually, same with Koda but I just want to show everyone that he is not the same statistic that people think he is.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

I think it's a good Idea. :D
Just don't listen to them if they say he is an "untrainable a**hole"
as Rogansmommy was told about her chow.
Weird that they said that.

But anyway, I'm going to test Diego when he get's about a year old or so.
It's called K-test. Maybe the same as an Character test.
But you can't take it before he get's 1 year old.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

When we first adopted Pekoe and not knowing anything about Chows, the only thing we did know was we just brought home the Devils personal assistant and guard dog, we took Pekoe to two trainers. The first trainer was a hard core police dog trainer that yelled and cussed at his trainees in German, he looked at Pekoe and told us to get rid of her, Chows are dangerous and untrainable. The Second trainer dropped a stick on the ground then kicked it around, Pekoe sat there looking at the stink and was probably thinking what a fruit cake you go pick up the stick, we were told she can't be trained and not worth the trouble. What they were really saying was I know nothing about Chows so I sure can't train them because Chows are much smarter then I am so I will just train dogs. The morale of the story is only take a Chow to someone that knows what a Chow is, Vet, groomer, trainer or kennel.

I don't know if you have ever done any research on the aggression test that they give at animal shelters but most animal rights groups and animal behaviorist will tell you that test is worthless and mostly used to clean out the shelters. almost all dogs over 35 lbs could never pass that test especially a Chow. Not that Chows are aggressive its just not in the Chow way to submit to such a ridicules test.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

One time I was at the Vet with Diego just to Check him.
Then the vet says to me: I think there is something wrong with your dog, I think his legs are hurting. They are so stiff.

I tried my best not to laugh.. :lol:
What an idiot. Everybody knows that Chows has stiff legs, their famous for their stiff gait.

I will never go to that vet again.
So I advice you to only to go to people who knows the breed.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Yep he is an idiot, the problem is he's not the one and only, there are many more vets out there that are just as dumb, thats why i am so pariniod about the vets i take Pekoe to.