Remote Shock Collar - I am at my wits end!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Remote Shock Collar - I am at my wits end!!

Post by Guest »

Okay, I have tried everything I can think of to get Koda(Golden Retriever/Chow mix) to quit digging, I have tried throwing pop cans with pennies in it, I have tried pepper on the yard, I have tried suprising him and putting him in his kennel(10x20 with wire mesh on the floor so he can't dig) when he digs in the yard. I have tried squirting water at him, I have tried to work with him on Distraction, if I catch him digging giving him something appropriate to do. We have even tried the "pit" idea with no success because he will not dig when I tell him to, not even for treats or toys. Plus, he doesn't like the pit, he like the middle of the backyard. My trainer has said that she cannot think of anything else other then a remote shock collar so he associate digging as a bad thing, not nessacerily associating me as bad with digging. I am at my wits end and this is seeming like a good idea. Koda does use a shock collar for barking and it works AWESOME. He only really uses it when we are gone because my neighbors have said he will bark continuosly for hours at everything, people walking by, he barks at the house, he barks just to hear himself I think. He is getting better and I have left him without the collar a few times and the neighbors have said there was a dramatic difference. This is not something I would use all the time or forever, but I just want to use it as a training technique. What do you guys think?? I am out of ideas other than this. I think that this will help alot.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Get that dog in obedience class. He's bored out of his mind.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart

Post by Guest »

Koda goes to obedience every week, he has just graduated Advanced Novice. He is set up to start in the next class. He has a ton of toys and he is played with and walked constantly.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

I agree with Rogansmommy, that dog is bored.
And I will not say my opinion on Shock collar.!
If your trainer haven't got any other ideas than a Shock collar, that isn't a very good trainer.

But when I say this, remember, I'm for Positive training and the Clicker method.

Digging can be an obsessive behavior, just like Border Collies with fetching sticks. It makes them crazy.
Or sometimes the dog is just very bored and thats the only thing he can do to entertain himself.
Not all dogs likes toys, like my dog.
(Have never had a toy in his mouth, I think he thinks it's benith him.
Weird dog, i know..
But insted I train him, everyday, not just once a week on obedient class)

So set of 10 minutes everyday to train him, let him use his head.
Ten minutes is enough, because I imagine that he doesn't get to use his head to much? Or am I wrong?

One more thing, to train him once a week is to little.
And how long walks to you give him? And how often?
Last edited by Taz on Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Koda gets trained everyday for half an hour. He is going to get his CGC test taken on Tuesday, I have to train him or he will not pass, he also is going to go work at the school to help kids read. Koda uses his head ALL the time. I can only walk Koda short distances, like a couple of blocks, he has a problem with his lungs(can't remember the name) but he gets over heated and starts hyperventilating, that is why he cannot stay in the house for more then 10-15 minutes before he starts having trouble breathing. Koda gets lots of attention.
You make it sound like I neglect him. He is very loved and very well taken care of. We are top of our class in Advanced Novice, if I didn't train him at home, we wouldn't have been there. We are also working on going into obedience trials. If I don't work with him at home as well as a training, then he isn't going to make it very far.
My trainer has given me as many other ideas as they can think of and they don't work with Koda. If you think you have a better one, let me know.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

I'm sorry. Didn't mean it like that. :)
Many dog owner don't know that their dog has to be trained everyday.
So i'm sorry i asumed you didn't either.

Right now the clock is 02.48 and i'm really tired. :P
But if I come up with some good ideas in the morning i'll let you know. :) :P

Post by Guest »

I have always trained everyone of my dogs. I am VERY strong believer in it. I pretty much only go to class to get the socialization as I DO train at home.
I understand that not everyone trains at home(sometimes it is evident in class, lol) but I assure you I am not one of them. I work hard with my dogs and that is why I am so very frustrated that I cannot get this digging problem down.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Okay, this might sound gross...put the dog poop in the hole he's digging...he won't dig there.
Karen
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Have you spoken to your vet? Like Taz said, digging can be an obsessive behavior. While chows typically do not become OCD (unlike some working breeds -- rotts and BC's), it is possible.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart

Post by Guest »

I have tried the poop in the hole, doesn't affect him at all.

Koda is a Golden/Chow mix. I think that the golden is shining through with his digging. He does not seem obbsessive about the digging, he doesn't dig everyday, probably 3-4 times a week but when he does, he digs HUGE holes. (He is an 80 pound dog) He doesn't usually dig in the same spot, but he will go back to old spots periodically. I have to see my vet this week, I will talk to him again about him.
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

is he has golden retriever in his blood he is hyper and problably bored. A old trick to keep a dog occupied is to get a toy konga(spelling) and put peanut butter inside ( or favorite treats) and let him work on that for hours. it may or may not work but i figured i would give my two cents to try and help.
Lily Griffin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lily Griffin »

Many years ago we had a German Shepherd pup who would wait unitl we went to work and then dig out all the plants in the garden. My husband is a keen gardener and was at his wits end. :evil: Nothing helped. Joey (the pup) was about 5 mths old and dug a HUGE hole. My husband sat him in the hole and covered him with sand up to his neck and left him there for about 5 minutes. He never dug another hole again and lived to nearly 12 years old. I know it sounds a bit extreme, but he felt desperate times called for desperate measures.
Lily
There are no ordinary Chows

Post by Guest »

Arnis,
He is actually a pretty mellow dog, even in his digging. He has a Kong but he can get anything, even frozen peanut butter out in an hour. He has a killer tongue! lol

Lily,
Koda weighs almost 90 pounds, I would have to dig a HUGE hole to do that to, plus he is alot stronger then me, I am not sure I would be able to do that at all. It is funny though, I never would have thought about that!