anyone have any idea how big

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow0
Rank 0
Rank 0

anyone have any idea how big

Post by chow0 »

my pup might get? he's 5 months and 1 week old, he's been gaining 10 pounds a month and is now 42lbs. i'm thinking he'll top out at 60.

tia

Post by Guest »

That sounds about right, maybe up to 65. I can't believe that chingy is going to weigh that much someday.......someday soon! LOL he weighs about 10 pounds right now. I am getting his shots tomorrow, so I will know exactly how much he weighs.
kitcatak
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitcatak »

I am glad you posted this! Leo is 15 weeks and gained 10 pounds this last month. I was shocked!!! At least I know he is normal. I think I read that chow average around 65 lbs.
Jazzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jazzy »

Avis is about to hit six months on the 27th, and she is about 40lbs.
chowluver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowluver »

You can usually get a good idea of what size a pup will be based on the size of the parents. I have a 60 pound male, which is actually quite small for a male, and he was about that same weight at that age. Most of the Males that I have seen have been from about 65 to 75 pounds. My female was 6 months yesterday and is already 53 pounds and will be about 65-68 lbs. when grown, her mother is that weight and her father is 72lbs.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan is at the high end of a chow -- 78 lbs. :shock: Not an ounce of fat on him - he's actually just very tall for a chow.

Have you ever seen the reaction from a person when they meet an almost 80 lbs. chow? :roll: It's quite amusing... :wink:
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Chewie is a year old and 60 lbs. Still some growing to do. My breeder has a chow named Rocky. Here's his pic. He is 92lbs. I have never seen such a HUGE chow in all my life. He is so sweet. His head was twice the size of mine. He isn't even tall, and definetly not fat - just a GIANT dog. Isn't his face marvelous? Imagine that chow running at you!

Mandy
arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

i read somewhere that the largest recorded chow weighed in at 120 pounds.... can you imagine... i would love to have one of those monsters. Super Sized cuddle machine with an attitude... hehe
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

My Milly and Mabel are quite small.

Even though they are within breed standard as set by The Kennel Club, they are 17.5" at the shoulder and weigh about 48lbs.

Sweet chow girls though. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

120 lbs!! Holy Moly. that is a big chow. Now that one would really look like a bear!!!
WorknChowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WorknChowz »

My little girl on my picture was only 45 pounds. Very lightly built, very athletic, and very sound.
Lai-Fu on the other hand is what they call "Overdone"... Massive bone, tons of extra skin everywhere and 70 pounds. Clumsy, arthritic, and prone to injury. Poor girl, bigger is hardly ever better, IMO... :roll:
Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...
chow0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow0 »

i was walking my pup over by the east river about a month and a half ago, when all of a sudden i heard this horn beeping and beeping, i turned around to look and this car comes WIZZZZZZZZZING around the corner stops and this women jumps out and says is that a chow pup, i said yes, she starts going nuts ah, oh, wow, then says she has one in the car, i look over and there's an 8 year old red male 85 POUNDER just sitting in the front seat with the window open looking at us like what the hell is she doing now! classic chow face.

Post by Guest »

We just got Chi-Ching weighed today at the vets and at 9 weeks old, he weighs a whopping 10 pounds! LOL
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chowluver

Post by Shane »

chowluver wrote:You can usually get a good idea of what size a pup will be based on the size of the parents. I have a 60 pound male, which is actually quite small for a male, and he was about that same weight at that age. Most of the Males that I have seen have been from about 65 to 75 pounds. My female was 6 months yesterday and is already 53 pounds and will be about 65-68 lbs. when grown, her mother is that weight and her father is 72lbs.
You said that you have a 60 pound amle which is quite small, Well Krillan who is 3, he weighs barely above 40 and Shadow who is 2 he weighs barely above 30. I checked and didi my research chows in the Bahamas are usually small, people who see them are shocked to see chows so "big".

Remember if your going to breed chow that are massive (this means muscle mass and not fat), you have to be careful because chows have joint problems, so really selected breeding should really take consideration.

Shane
Last edited by Shane on Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

How much is 120 pounds in KG? :oops:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Roughly, 60 kg. Taz - but I will check.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowluver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chowluver

Post by chowluver »

You said that you have a 60 pound amle which is quite small, Well Krillan who is 3, he weighs barely above 40 and Shadow who is 2 he weighs barely above 30. I checked and didi my research chows in the Bahamas are usually small, people who see them are shocked to see chows so "big".

Remember if your going to breed chow that are massive (this means muscle mass and not fat, you have to be careful because chows have joint behaviour, so really selected breeding should really take consideration.

Shane
[/quote]

Shane,
Believe me, 60 pounds is by no means a MASSIVE Chow. Brisco isn't tiny, but he certainly isn't large either, just read some of the other posts on this subject. It doesn't matter to me at all what size they are anyway I just love the breed. I've seen many Chows much larger than I stated but was trying to give Tia an idea of what might be thought of as "average" and what to expect. I'm no expert and don't want to offend anyone but I do have many years of experience with the Chow, I got my first one in 1979.
And Taz, 120lbs. is 54.5 kilos.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Chowluver: Thanks. :) I'm not used to pounds.
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chowluver and Taz

Post by Shane »

I checked it 120 pounds is 120/2.2=54.54545....kilos, rounding it off as 55 kilos. When ever you wanna convert pounds to kilos divide it by 2.2.

Chowluver you said it doesn't matter what size is the chow is, it doesn't matter either with me. Remember when I said the majority of the chows run small over here is because of their genetics, so if you were to bring a chow that is 60lbs, people over here will probally think you gave it steroids or something, because with Krillan people is be talking about "oooh mommy you see how big that dog is". So since we don't usually see chows that size we may consider chows to be massive, let alone a 100 pounder. 60 pounds isn't massive in my opinion, around 100 i'll say. Another thing like said earlier which i think people should take note of that a "massive chow" may have problems with joints and they should not move lumbering, so breeding should be put into consideration.

Theirs nothing wrong with a small, medium, large or x-large chow. Once i love the breed that really all that matters

Shane
thfonz98
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thfonz98 »

wow...i gotta ask my friend how heavy his chow is....his chow dislocated his mother's shoulder(she not too old either) when he took off one time on a leash.

he's the bigger brother of my chow. We used to take her over to my friends house and let them "thrash" each other(play outside mostly nipping and wrestling).

i call his chow a horse though. hmm
chowluver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowluver »

Shane,
Point taken. By the way, I met my wife in the Bahamas. I'm a boat captain and have spent many years cruising your beautiful waters (since 1987). I sure do miss the fresh Conch salad.