Skin biting

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

thomsonross9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Skin biting

Post by thomsonross9 »

Hi all, first post so apologies if this has been answered somewhere else on the site.

I have a 1.5 year old chowchow, he seems to have developed some form of skin condition. He’s constantly chewing at his back and legs and now moved to other areas of his body. He chews to the point where he ends up with bald open sores and looks as if the groomer has went rogue with a clipper on him. When I brush him with a long pinned brush and undercoat brush he goes wild kicking his legs etc as if it’s itching him. But he always comes back for more so no hiding away etc.
I inspect the hair when I brush it off him and there appears to be lots of small brownish coloured scab like pieces in it. When I inspect his skin he has lots of small scab / dry patches on him which I’m assuming is why he is biting.

He gets a regular tablet once a month for flees works etc and goes to the groomers once every 5/6 weeks. Gets brushed by myself every few days.

He has been to the vet multiple times for this and been advised could be allergies but unlikely, then advised may be dermatitis or dry skin etc but all just theories. So came her to see if anyone else had this issue?

Tried to attach pictures but said was too big…