New puppy question

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

BleuSouthernBelle
Rank 0
Rank 0

New puppy question

Post by BleuSouthernBelle »

Good afternoon everyone!
I will be picking up my new baby in less than two weeks and I have been working on getting everything ready for my new baby. I will be getting him at 6 weeks old and he will only have one set of shots. I am concerned about his using the bathroom outside with only one set of shots. I do not want him to get parvovirus. Should I have him use a training pad inside until he finishes all of his shots? If so, won't this reverse any natural training?
Is there any way to prepare an area in my yard for him to go?
Thanks for any and all advice!
Dani

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New puppy question

Post by Laura »

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I know you are anxiously counting down the days but please leave the pup with his mom and litter mates until he is at least 8 weeks old. Please google the many reasons why this is important. I would even go so far as to question the breeder. IMO a reputable breeder would not release a pup prior to 8 weeks. 2 more weeks of waiting for you but so much better for your pup AND you in the long run.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
BleuSouthernBelle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BleuSouthernBelle »

Laura wrote:I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I know you are anxiously counting down the days but please leave the pup with his mom and litter mates until he is at least 8 weeks old. Please google the many reasons why this is important. I would even go so far as to question the breeder. IMO a reputable breeder would not release a pup prior to 8 weeks. 2 more weeks of waiting for you but so much better for your pup AND you in the long run.
Thank you Laura! It's been years since I have had a puppy and we normally didn't get them until 3 months. I will contact my breeder and make arrangements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Laura gave some very good advice!

I just want to add that even with only one set of vaccines, your puppy should be fine going potty in your own yard unless you have had dogs in your yard with parvo. It is important to avoid areas where many dogs have access; such as parks. I take my young puppies numerous places so that they see, hear, and smell as many new things as possible. I even hit stores like Petsmart. I take a large towel or blanket to put in the cart... or I just carry the puppy around with me. We take short walks out of the yard but stay on the sidewalks.

I carry a pocket full of kibble and let strangers offer the young puppy treats. Control the puppies environment and stimuli ... but give them as many new things as they can handle without feeling stress. Make each new adventure positive and FUN! You will have a more confident chow that is much less likely to snap at people or other dogs out of fear.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye