Chows in the rain

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dr.butcher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chows in the rain

Post by dr.butcher »

The basic question I am asking here is how to (or: how do you) poop and walk your chow in the rain.

I live in Hong Kong where we get torrential rainstorms. There's a colour system and when it hits black rain, work is cancelled (to give you an idea of how serious the rain gets). The thunderstorms usually accompany typhoons (the winds can easily reach over 90 miles/hour and in rare cases over 110 miles/hour) at the height of summer (though lately we've been getting some cold weather rain). Additionally, when it rains in Hong Kong it rains for days. There's not really breaks where you can run out with your chow so he can do his business.

Last time we had an overnight rainstorm that continued to the following night and Charlie didn't poop all day. Only happened with him once before. Most he would do is a number 1 in the garden. I tried to take him out in the rain, but he whimpered and didn't want to go. A light shower he seems to enjoy, but this is heavy rain that will soak a leather belt till you can wring it within minutes.

I'm looking into getting him a raincoat, but I'm also thinking to the summer months ahead. Those things are plastic and he will heat up a lot. I'm talking heavy rain in temperatures sometimes in excess of 86 degrees F (last summer we had a record number of days in excess of 100 degrees F). So do I take him out for a short walk in a plastic raincoat and hope he doesn't overheat? I don't mind spending the money on something like this (http://tinyurl.com/h7rmpx5) but it also looks hot.

Any advice and thoughts welcome.

(Edit: as an afterthought, I'd like to hear how your chows cope with the cold. When it drops below 60 degrees F here Charlie won't go outside until we put a sweater or cardigan on him. I'm thinking he's probably adjusted to the subtropical climate of Hong Kong and feels the cold more as a result. Also, for those wondering, so far I've been using an umbrella when he needs to go to the toilet in the rain, but its not very convenient as I don't have a free hand to scoop up his poop without putting it down on the ground, and its not effective when the wind is pushing the rain sideways)
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chows in the rain

Post by kitten1426 »

Our Male chow he isnt crazy about the rain he hates puddles...lol..but if pushed he will go out in it to do his business...Our RIP female chow she couldnt careless of the rain she would just sit outside in it...they both were ok with the snow they didnt mind it...Heat same thing...

Here is a picture of Kodi in the snow...
Attachments
kodi-2.jpg
kodi-2.jpg (26.96 KiB) Viewed 11761 times
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
dr.butcher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dr.butcher »

kitten1426 wrote:Here is a picture of Kodi in the snow...
Great photo, so fluffy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Yes he is not all fluff tho he weighs over 100 lbs...LOL...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hi. I'm from the Philippines. Using a very big umbrella is the best that you can use of course for rain showers. No problem at all if the temperature hovers at or below 37 degrees Celsius (100F), I am sure he will not overheat in the rain for 20 minutes while in it (raincoat). You will remove it once he is done and are in the comfort of your home, right?

My dog can hold for 24 hours or more if need be (pooping). I don't know, it's a chow thing perhaps. She would go when there is interruption in the rain. It does have a lull (the rain) about 5-10 minutes.

My chow Cassie would only brave the heavy downpour IF I have an umbrella wide enough for both of us. She hates to get soaked in the rain. Last week they spent their night inside the kitchen due to the thunderstorm. Thankfully, no one not one among them (she has her 4 week old puppies) poop.

Good luck. Try whatever works with both of you
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Ours don't care. Rain, ocean, lake, whatever. Snow, oh snow is the best.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

I know someone who lives in midlevels HK. He or the Chow nanny (funny but true) walked the dog with a golf umbrella during rain storms. Then they would rush home with a towel on the floor by the doorway sprayed with Chlorhexidine so Adonis would wipe his paws on it then they dry his paws and legs further. Adonis hates the rain and whimpers when walking on a puddle so rushes to squat and do his business then drags nanny home. Others put a makeshift poncho with a sash on the waist so their chows body and head do not get wet. Nothing you can do with the paws though. You have to use wipes on those or dry with a towel
Annabellam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Annabellam »

I used to have a huge umbrella for when it rained but my little buddy did not care. He'd go running off anyway and especially if i did not have him on a leash. Seems like you have quite an amount of rainfall there. You could try and see if the umbrella works with your buddy. The summer is always so much fun.