Salmon Oil & Coconut Oil for Chow Chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

quincyandnugget
Rank 0
Rank 0

Salmon Oil & Coconut Oil for Chow Chow

Post by quincyandnugget »

Does anyone here give their chow's salmon oil/coconut oil? I've been researching for a while now and I've read good reviews about them, especially the salmon oil. So for anyone that's given their chow salmon oil/coconut oil, I'll have to ask-- does it really work wonders for their skin & coat? and which is better, the salmon oil or coconut oil? And how do you give it to your pup-- do you mix it with their food, rub it in their fur before giving them bath or? :) Thank you in advance! Really eager to read your replies because I've really been wanting to try out the oils :)
kingalls

Re: Salmon Oil & Coconut Oil for Chow Chow

Post by kingalls »

Have not specifically given salmon oil...just fish oil to my pack. I think that for both humans and canines, coconut oil is over-rated. My Chow's coat have been pretty good - but want to say that I did not bath my Chows (and now the current pack). The groomer said that because they did not do regular bathing, the lanolin in their coat was not washed out and so their coat was much better and easier to groom. We have an ASD/Chow mix and he loves the brushing. His coat is very nice.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

kingalls wrote:Have not specifically given salmon oil...just fish oil to my pack. I think that for both humans and canines, coconut oil is over-rated. My Chow's coat have been pretty good - but want to say that I did not bath my Chows (and now the current pack). The groomer said that because they did not do regular bathing, the lanolin in their coat was not washed out and so their coat was much better and easier to groom. We have an ASD/Chow mix and he loves the brushing. His coat is very nice.
Me too:)
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

I give EFAs as they are called in their food,so a good fish oil,from a reputable pet store.Also the coconut oil should be unrefined.The refined stuff is passed through charcoal to get rid of the pulp.,so it isnt really the best thing.It is internal useage for both.Be careful with the EFAs.too much will give them the runs.Did you know coconut oil actually takes the tartar off their teeth!? I give them each a tablespoon every night at bed time.
Re EFAS for dogs ,see here.http://www.carnivora.ca/html/learning_c ... /index.cfm
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Want a good coat? Add some Epson salt to their bath. Better than all the extra stuff.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

JasonandNat wrote:Want a good coat? Add some Epson salt to their bath. Better than all the extra stuff.
I have never heard of using Epsom salt before! My crew absolutely love canned Salmon and Mackerel so they get it mixed with their food a few times a week.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
perriejinnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by perriejinnie »

I'm not sure about their benefits to Chow's coat, but most often I use Salmon oil. I have heard that coconut oil is an overrated thing and so I won't recommend it with confidence.
I love Chow Chow :P
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

Ulra Oil Skin & Coat Supplement Sardine, Anchovie and Hemp provides 3, 6 and 9
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Well we seem to be lucky with coats, of course tossing them a salmon is how they prefer it. ;) We feed the flash frozen foods with lots of good meats and some veggies our guys could pass on that except sweet potato, they love that. Throw in a steak or two a month (grass fed local), some chicken (grass fed free range local) and a bit of bison (grass fed free range local) and all the squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, and foxes they can catch and things are good. They spend a few weeks a year in the ocean, they love it and so does their coats, rest of the years is monthly sometimes weekly (mud, creek muck, etc) baths with oatmeal shampoo and a dab of Dawn with a cup of Epsom Salts. Finish with a big industrial fan for fast drying. Whatever works for you.
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

We've given ours a couple of squirts of salmon oil every night with their food, and have done this for years. They have gorgeous, full coats! Whether or not it actually works is anyone's guess, but I'm not going to question!