Chow Life changes

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Re: Chow Life changes

Post by kingalls »

Thank you! It is a challenge to know what to do...we know that they have health issues but it's hard to know when it's time. Our furkids will push themselves to please us.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh continues to amaze us. While she is on a fair amount of meds she insists on her daily walks - if not twice a day! She has a UTI that we are treating...gawd, I dislike having to give her so many meds but she is a trooper about taking them. How she puts up with the two boys (ASD & GSD) is commendable. Despite her arthritis & spinal issues, she has figured out what she needs to do to keep from falling over when she shakes her head. We figure she is about 13 years old now. Her gotcha day is in June and the vet said she was about 3 months old when she adopted us so we think she has made a major milestone.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Shiloh and Loki are in very similar situations. We think Loki is 13. Along with the arthritis and hing leg issues, we are facing more serious liver disease. I am hoping he is a candidate for surgery. He gets tested this afternoon. He has a growth on his liver and in order to determine what it is, surgery is required. He also has a growth on adrenal gland. Our vet has said she will not touch adrenal gland, just treat symptoms but we cannot ignore the liver. He has been through so much already but still maintAins a great Quality of life...enjoys his walks, time on the porch, etc. all I can do is hope for the best and pray!!! I want to do what is right for him
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

[-o| Many prayers for Loki's situation. Last year I was very worried about Shiloh's entropion surgery & the anesthesia. Have you stopped giving Loki vaccinations? We have stopped Shiloh's and the vet doesn't try to push them on us. I talked to a person that shows Collie's and she said that after age 10, no more vaccinations - wish I did that for Nahkohe. Fortunately, we have a groomer that will take Shiloh. It is done on Sunday's when they are technically closed and there are very few dogs there. We met a person that came by our home and did some laser treatments on our ASD for his limp. She suggested a less expensive model that we could use on Shiloh as well as for ourselves (like my foot and DH's knee). It really helped the ASD (no more limp) but I can only try to sneak up on Shiloh when she is sleeping to try & laser her hips and spine. When she realizes I am up to something she takes off. Hugs to Loki!
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Absolutely...we stopped Loki's vaccinations years ago. We did try laser treatments early on and Loki did not seem to benefit from them. Of course, , now his had hip is secondary to his other issues. Today we went for preop tests and he has protein in his urine and high blood pressure!!! Not sure what our next step will be. I am waiting to hear from our vet after she consults the surgeon. We will take it day to day and hope and pray for a good outcome. We went to the vet to try a new therapy for his leg and are now going in a totally new direction to deal it's all these other issue. I hope we are doing right by him. I think my blood pressure is at least as high as Loki's!!!!!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

How is Loki doing? What were the test results?
Our Shiloh's stability is getting worse. I can see that her right back leg is getting weaker. We are trying Incurin for her incontinence but it's going "so-so". The only thing that she is focused on is doing her daily walk. I can't imagine how much it might be hurting her but her wanting to walk is more important. I wish her appetite was better and I often have to hand feed her. Shiloh has been quite the trooper but it's a bit of a heart-breaker to see her struggle.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Absolutely. Keep up those walks as it does help their mobility. Loki has slowed down considerably. Our walk is more of a "sniffing" experience but I will do anything that makes him happy these days. We had a lengthy consult with our vet and have decided to put off liver surgery for now. She is going to see Loki every few weeks and check his blood, urine and take X-rays to see if the tumor is growing and, if so, at what rate. He is being treated for the protein in the urine and his anemia. I think the vet might start him on iron. I, too, have a problem getting Loki to eat. I bought a large eye roast, cooked it in the oven, and hand fed him. He loved it!!! Our chows are very good at dealing with pain but, like you, it breaks my heart when Loki struggles to get up and lay down. He has stopped doing stairs. Last night we carried him to bed. His leg is one of the reasons we are putting off surgery. our vet is prepared to operate if she sees he is worsening, but, quite frankly, I think the liver issue is not the biggest issue we are dealing with at the moment. It sounds like we are both in the same situation! Good luck. I do hope Shiloh shows some improvement. We just must take it one day at a time! I got so excited last night when he ate dinner! It's the little things. Please keep me posted to Shiloh's condition.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Switching Shiloh to Incurin for her incontinence has seen a little improvement but we are having to go back to the everyday dose instead of every other day. Today she was sleeping on the hardwood floor and made a big puddle. Her hind end was pretty wet. I go the boys out and while she was standing in front of the glass door slider, I wrapped my arm around her back end and started to clean her up with brushing and waterless shampoo. While it worked for the situation, it was rather sad that she was too weak to wrestle and get away. I got her decently cleaned up and brushed and then gave all 3 of them a raw beef soup bone treat. After a bit, I helped Shiloh by pushing up the yummy bone marrow up for her to indulge! I called her vet and he said to go back to giving her the Incurin every day.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

It is heartbreaking to see our proud chows struggle. Loki is at the point that he can't climb stairs and we must carry him to bed every night. A few years ago he would not have allowed us to do that. We must just do the best for them one day at a time. Hope that Shiloh shows some improvement soon!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Have you tried putting a diaper on Shiloh? When my chows reached the point of being incontinent, I put diapers on them to help them try to make it out the door without dripping inside. They didn't mind it at all and seemed rather to appreciate it. They are so dignified. I noticed whenever they wet themselves or made a puddle inside by accident, they would be so remorseful. So the diapers helped my seniors. Big hug to Sweet Shiloh.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I have the washable pee pads everywhere but sometimes she manages to find a spot where there isn't one. I am not sure about trying the diapers she is so sensitive to changes. I use the waterless shampoo and brush her. She has a special groomer appointment on the 5th so hopefully she will look pretty for her Gotcha Day.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

kingalls wrote:I have the washable pee pads everywhere but sometimes she manages to find a spot where there isn't one. I am not sure about trying the diapers she is so sensitive to changes. I use the waterless shampoo and brush her. She has a special groomer appointment on the 5th so hopefully she will look pretty for her Gotcha Day.
Shiloh looks pretty every day!

I would try a diaper on her just to try. The ones from the pet store have cut outs for the tail to slip through. I bought those for a while but found the human adult diapers were cheaper in the long run and I would cut the slots for the tail to slip through. She may surprise you and adjust to having one on quickly. Btw, you'll still have to cleanse her if she wets in the diaper.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I managed to get Shiloh in the house by herself and used the waterless shampoo on her back end. I did a lot of brushing. She wasn't happy about it and I am sure her legs and hind end were aching but she finally gave up an laid her head down. She walked out on the deck and I started to follow. I guess she thought I wasn't done with her yet and she started to get away from me. Unfortunately :( she stumbled and fell down, after a little bit of recovery time she got back up and when she took the stairs (2 steps) she started to fall to the right. At least there was a little bit of fencing there to keep her upright. I don't know why I think like this but as I was watching her in the yard with her back legs shaking - I was wondering if she will make it to her June 5th gotcha day. She doesn't eat unless I hand feed her and even with some of her past most favorite foods she will sometimes turn away. Watching my beautiful Chowgirl age sucks. She has a vet appointment tomorrow - her vulva area looks a bit swollen.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh has another UTI. The vet barely got enough of a sample to do a test. An ultrasound showed there is a "mass" in her bladder. It could be a blot cot that formed (she has had many UTIs) or a (hope not) tumor. We have agreed to get off the incontinence meds for now. She is on baytril and her deramax for now. . Part of the symptoms of using Incurin is anorexia and a swollen vulva. She has lost about 5 lbs since her last visit. So we are hopeful that the mass is a blood clot that will go away. She will be on the Baytril and Dera max for now...so extra pee pads out tonight. If the "mass" is a tumor, we will have some difficult decisions. We will not put Shiloh thru what it might take to remove the tumor - she is already suffering enough. She is already compromised. It was so difficult to walk her this morning - she kept stumbling and almost tumbled over a couple of times. We have cut her walks in half even though she would try to do more than that - at a great amount of discomfort. Love our Shiloh-girl.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

kingalls wrote: Love our Shiloh-girl.
Sweet, gentle Shiloh... LOVE her too!

I'm glad you have some answers to what is happening with her. It's comforting to know.

Stay strong. :x
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Thank you, Zhuyo's mom. We have been through this too many times with our own as well as with our Chow Chow Fest family. We are so fortunate that Shiloh found us 13 years ago. She changed our lives in so many ways. Right now it is one day at a time and we hope those days are many more to come.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I'm so sorry your sweet girl is having such a rough time. Hopefully it is just a clot and can resolve and you can get her pain controlled.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Ugg...took Shiloh to the vet today because of a "head tilt". It could be "Idiopathic or “Old Dog” Vestibular Disease" or a tumor. Basically, our vet said to see how she does thru the weekend - improvement or no...then it is our decision on what to do.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

To offset the Vestibular disease symptoms, Shiloh was put on Cerenia for a couple of days. This was to help the nausea and help her eat. I was getting a bit distraught with her not wanting to eat because it reminded me of when Nahkohe refused to eat - just didn't think I could go through that again. Good news is that between the Cerenia and (hopefully) the vestibular going away, Shiloh is eating again. I have to hand feed her but at least she is eating! The not so good news is that her back end is deteriorating and walking is becoming very difficult for her. She has a vet appt on Monday for a check up on her UTI - hopefully that has been resolved. Shiloh is quite the trooper........but it's a heart breaker to watch her trip and stagger so much.
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

So sorry about what happen to your pup Karin. I know how you feel, you need to be strong our dog is a gift from god that's why they treated them as a human that's why we give them care, love, and they send as back as the same feelings and the hardest time that our dog died we all suffering. It takes time to heal just be strong okay.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh update - her head tilt has not gone away but it is a little less severe...so my guess is that it might be a tumor since it the vestibular should have been gone by now. Her bladder "mass" is no longer there :D . Shiloh is eating but I need to hand feed her 90% of the time. Every morning she stands at the baby gate to let us know she is ready for her morning walk. We are very happy that she is eating and wants to walk. She is back on her Incurin meds and it looks to be stopping her "leakage". A few weeks ago, I thought it was time but Shiloh is quite the trooper and her time with us is precious!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh's head tilt is gone \:D/ . She is eating more but is pretty much spoiled to being hand fed. Every morning she is excited to do her morning walk with Dad. The walk is much shorter and she does great to the corner house but the return trip is more challenging for her. Shiloh's back end is very weak but she is a trooper. We are so happy that she is eating - she likes the sardines (in water), her Green Tripe, and some canned dog food (minimally given).
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

this weekend (Sunday, 8/14) was a marked date for remembrance...one was for my dad's birthday - he would have been 93...and for my Chowboy having the seizure that led toward his crossing of the bridge on the 25th. Along with my daughter and grandson, we went to visit my mom this weekend. My mom's health is not good but seemed to perk up with a fun family gathering. My homecoming was great - my 3 doggie furkids were so happy to have me back home again :D...
I miss my Chowboy, Nahkohe :cry:. He was quite the character but also a "chore" to deal with...we are prepping for another ChowChow event next month and are so very excited that Shiloh is going to make it this year. She is over 13 years old now. Her head tilt took forever to go away. Her major issue is the back end (hips and joints) but we think she will be okay to attend CCF16.
Our first ChowChow fest was in 2006...several people in the Bay area were interested in a meet & greet, so we set up a place & time. It was a truly fun event!! We have been able to do the event each year. Some years it was so difficult with a "steering committee" or participate member losing their chowkid. The Chow Chow support got us through the hurdle.
We look forward to a fun ChowChow 2016 with Shiloh event this year.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Just a couple of days before the 10th Annual Northern California Chow Chow fest. Shiloh is getting groomed tomorrow. It's a special appointment - so glad the local groomer is willing to work with us. (We have stopped vaccinations - so we set up an early appointment before other dogs come in.) Shiloh has her good days and some not so good days with her morning walks. She really wants to go further but her legs really are not cooperating and DH often needs to pretty much carry her back. We think she will enjoy CCF16 :-)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

What a fun day for Chow Chow Fest!! Shiloh was a trooper and was happy to be a CCF16 participant. She managed to do a few "walk abouts" to check out other Chows. We are very proud of our Chowgirl!! She went into snooze mode for the 2 hour drive back home. Once home, her two "brothers" had to sniff her from head to toe to figure out where she has been. We are so happy she had a great time today...right now she is snoring behind the couch - LOL!