Recommendations for a training book

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sansa16
Rank 0
Rank 0

Recommendations for a training book

Post by sansa16 »

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I am so happy that I came across it.

Just a brief history since I am new. We are new (almost 1st time) owners to a cream Chow Chow puppy named Sansa (yes, we are huge Game of Thrones Fans) she was just born 7 days ago. She will be flying into us when she is 8 weeks old. My boyfriend grew up with a Chow Chow when he was a teenager, and we recently had our pomeranian of 12 years pass away of congestive heart failure.

We have always wanted a Chow Chow but because at the time we had a newborn, did not feel we would have time to train and have another dog. Our newborn is now 8 years old. LOL

My boyfriend keeps warning me that Chow Chows are completely different, nothing like pomeranians and to make sure i soak up tons of info.

Would any of you recommend a training book? I've looked up recommendations on Amazon, but would much rather get advice from chow chow owners. We do plan on taking some time off to get Sansa situated and trained.

Thank you all for your time an advice :)
J0rdan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Recommendations for a training book

Post by J0rdan »

Hi Sansa,
Before I got my chow chow I was recommended The Complete Chow Chow by LJ Kip Koptach & The Proper Care of Chow Chows by Love Banghart. I hope that helps :) congratulations on your new little girl; and have a safe trip!
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Hi Sansa, I'm not sure about a good training book, but here is a post of mine from years ago that I think Might give you some insight that could help with your training.
I can't stress enough that a Chow WILL hold a grudge if scoulded too harshly. I've had 5 of them now and one is a 4 month old that I am training at the moment. Keep in mind that they are very very smart. I taught the last three I had and this new puppy to sit in less than 5 minutes in one session. Anyway this is how I find Chows compared to most other breeds.

Well, they are certainly dogs, but unlike any other breed I'd agree. My wife had no intrerest in having a dog of any sort. I finally convinced her that a Chow was no ordinary dog, now 2 1/2 years later we have two. Just the other day she said to me, I can't imagine not having a dog now.

I strongly believe that this is soley due to the specific nature of the Chow.
Unlike most breeds they are typically NOT distructive, noisy, overly active, starving for affection (although they don't mind it, usually) or messy, mine do not even go to the bathroom in our yard, they wait for there morning walk, and I did not try to teach them this, no kidding. They ARE, loyal, protective, quiet, clean, intelligent, beautiful dogs.
Mostly I would say that it comes down to how you need to deal with a chow in it's training that makes it SO different. A Chow needs to respect, and even more importantly, trust it's owner (although don't let him/her hear you say that) I find that most breeds will do almost anything just to please it's owner. It doesn't matter how they are treated, to a degree anyway, they just want to please and play. Not all breeds or all dogs, but on the whole I would say the majority of dogs. If you yell, scare or god forbid, hit your Chow, it will take a very long time for it to forgive you and it will almost never forget it. I've seen other breeds practically beaten and 2 minutes later waiting anxiously for there next command, never a Chow, you may not even get close enough to pet it again for hours. You could ruin a Chows whole character by one or two bad events. They must be treated as a friend and companion 100% of the time if you want to keep there loyalty. A Chow will listen to you because he wants to, NOT because he thinks he has to. Be firm but try not to ever frighten him/her.

I could go on and on but I think that i've got MY view and/or point across.

Good luck with your new pup!
No matter where you go, there you are.
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

Brisco- Such a great comment:)
They must be treated as a friend and companion 100% of the time if you want to keep there loyalty. A Chow will listen to you because he wants to, NOT because he thinks he has to. Be firm but try not to ever frighten him/her.
azexotics
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by azexotics »

I can't think of any book titles right now, but go to different breeder web sites and read read and read some more. Chows are not even close to being the normal dog! I have had for 40 yrs. they very rarely need you to raise your voice or be stern. What was said above is all true! If you have children be aware that Chows do not have the best perifeal vision, so a child being fast can startle them, so be careful. I have yet to have a bad Chow and I did rescue, its like Pits they are very protective, usally adopt 1 person in family as their equal and the rest of the family is just there. They are the only dog that I will ever have, but make sure your home ins. will insure you or landlord.Please take the time to learn about them and then you will be like me and never ever want another breed!!
chloeann2327
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chloeann2327 »

I love all your responses--I, too, am training chow #5 & just this one time, he is a handful-- he is the least "chow-like" of any of the other 4--VERY STUBBORN--but we are totally in love with him--he is just 10 mos old & a big guy--just lately when we call him in from the backyard, he has decided not to come--I feel like I have tried everything--PLEASE HELP--this forum is totally awesome!
Nuertis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nuertis »

I always take Chichito to the vet on the second or third day of each month.