Chow/Lab Mix??

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Bernie05
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow/Lab Mix??

Post by Bernie05 »

I recently adopted a 4 month old chow/lab mix and was curious about a few things. How are these dogs with kids? How are they with training? Any helpful tips about this dog would be greatly appreciated.

Post by Guest »

My personal opinion is going to be that it just depends on your dog. If he has more lab in him, he may be more apt to get excited about training, if he has more chow in him he may just decide that he will do it when he feels like it. As far as around kids, you have to socialize him to them, ONLY allow good experiences with kids around him, DO NOT be afraid to tell a little kid to knock it off if they are not handling him nicely. It is an extremely good idea to get him enrolled in puppy obedience as soon as possible so that he gets well socialized and learns his manners early.

Congrats on the new Puppy!!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Pip, our 9 year old chow /lab mix (my chowder...take THAT Cockapoo!) is a dream-she stays in the yard, fetches sticks and balls, chases rabbits with abandon (to the edge of the yard, no further) and after a week of 'what did I do to deserve this?' looks, plays with and watches over Lily, our 4 month old chow . If she had some white on her, she'd look like a border collie.She's a bit arthritic now, but Lily keeps Pippy on her toes. I tire of all the wrestling those two do... when Lily was littler, her favorite attack was a drop, roll (in the dirt) and flank attack...too funny to watch!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Pip, our 9 year old chow /lab mix (my chowder...take THAT Cockapoo!) is a dream-she stays in the yard, fetches sticks and balls, chases rabbits with abandon (to the edge of the yard, no further) and after a week of 'what did I do to deserve this?' looks, plays with and watches over Lily, our 4 month old chow . If she had some white on her, she'd look like a border collie.She's a bit arthritic now, but Lily keeps Pippy on her toes. I tire of all the wrestling those two do... when Lily was littler, her favorite attack was a drop, roll (in the dirt) and flank attack...too funny to watch!