Chow allergic to flea medications?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Shannon0115
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow allergic to flea medications?

Post by Shannon0115 »

Hey all! I've been having trouble with flea medications. The vet gave chowder trifexis and we think he may be allergic (throws up the day after and all of a sudden has an "obsession" with gnawing on his paw. I'm sure I should look into it more but there's nothing stuck in his paw and when we took him to the vet they just recommended Benadryl?) so we stopped that and decided to try a medication similar to frontline, only this one you have to squeeze all contents into one spot of the body, doing so, we saw that that spot has become rough and bumpy. A possible allergic reaction? Anyone else have the same problem? Which flea medicaion do you have no problem with? Just want to make sure his skin isn't too sensitive or if there is a medication that won't give us problems.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow allergic to flea medications?

Post by Pinoy51 »

I'm using Advocate from Bayer, since years. No problem at all.
I started using it last month for Sally, she has a bad case of mange, also for her no problem. Oppsosite her red skin and fur loss is improving again.
I have no experience with trifex, I use frontline for my rescue dogs without issues as well, but haven't used it for the Chows.
Oh, and I'm not squeezing it on one spot but a small area. I use the neck area as they can't lick it and I always put it after they showered and in the evening before they go to sleep.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Adrian
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow allergic to flea medications?

Post by Adrian »

Our chow had the similar reaction to frontline, advocate needs applying more frequently but seems to work better without the side effects.