Beach diarrhea

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Beach diarrhea

Post by kingalls »

I am posting this for general info...
We took our GSD to the beach..throwing the ball along the shoreline, etc. He was in the water a lot and did drink some of the water. Later into the walk he had a horrible diarrhea incident - totally liquid coming out, and later he vomited. After some research, we found that the ocean salt water can cause these issues. The ocean salt water is a huge NO-NO for dogs. We have had our Chow Chows on the beach but they did not try to consume the ocean water so the issue never happened. This is just an "FYI" in case any of your Chow Chows want to drink the ocean water - don't let them!!!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Beach diarrhea

Post by Cindy J »

We too learned this the hard way with our male rottweiler who spent hours trying to catch the seagulls and mostly caught whitecaps. My female rottweiler, who loved to swim, did not have issues. I guess she kept her head above water and didn't drink enough.

Great reminder as we are heading to the beach next weekend with Chance and Gracie! (Chow and Chow x Golden mix)
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

My boy cannot resist "tasting" any water he walks through. I have to yell at him every time or he gets the same thing your boy experienced #-o
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Yup, good for licking to keep cool but not drinking! ShenLung has learnt this, FuShiLU learnt this year, she puked up 2 litres of water, then ran outside and explosive liquid sprayed poop all over the neighbours camper trailer. It was awesome! NOT!!!!!! She then blamed us for poisoning her and wouldn't eat food, even her favourite for 3 days. She of course drank water, that couldn't have been the issue, no way!
66Foxtrot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 66Foxtrot »

We always had that problem at the beach... We also had to contend with high chlorine content of the tap water at our shore home. We have to give our dogs bottled water or they get diarrhea from that!