What could this be?!

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kahlua
Rank 0
Rank 0

What could this be?!

Post by Kahlua »

Hey guys, I'm in need of some help!

My pup Kahlua has been getting these dark specs on his fur... the areas are red and irritated but they don't seem to itch... since he doesn't seem to be scratching at them. One spot is under his chin (where it's always wet, he's a SUPER sloppy drinker and water tends to collect there), and he has spots spreading to his back and some on his belly. They don't seem to be hotspots since he's gotten a few hotspots and I know what they look like... I'm not sure what they are. I googled it and they seem very similar to flea poop... but he's not scratching himself. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm planning on taking him to the vet, but trying to see if anyone else has dealt with this. Below are some pictures of what his skin looks like.

Any input would be awesome! Thank you!!
Attachments
IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2242.JPG (64.5 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
IMG_2241.JPG
IMG_2241.JPG (76.93 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
IMG_2239.JPG
IMG_2239.JPG (65.78 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: What could this be?!

Post by maikinda »

Its hard to tell from a picture but it does look like it may be from fleas. I would think your dog would be scratching though and you would have to be seeing fleas. Best idea is to go to vet.

Laura
Attachments
Micah B&W.jpg
Micah B&W.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree it's hard to tell with the photos, but if he's a sloppy drinker and these spots are around that area, then I would suggest that he is scratching at the moist areas. It might be quick so you can't catch it, but those could be little spots of blood. The area looks raw, almost like a hot spot, but with the lack of fur he could be pulling it out. Keep an air drier close at hand or use a no spill bowl to help keep him dry. A bib type item might also be helpful, and make sure the nails are trimmed to proper length.
Kahlua
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kahlua »

looks like he's allergic to fleas... and the vet put him on steroid spray, antibiotics, and flea preventative. =( his beautiful hair is coming out.