Cause of Undercoat Not Filling In?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cause of Undercoat Not Filling In?

Post by CocoLeBear »

All, my female spayed girl (appx. 7 years old), Coco, blew her coat very hard in November/December. It is now mid-February and the undercoat hasn't grown back. She always gets compliments on the quality of her coat from the groomer--it is never very thick but it is always shiney and healthy. Now, her coat is plenty shiney, etc, but it is flat because it is just the long guard hairs. Her behavior and eating habits haven't changed.

I had my foster Grizzly to the vet over the weekend and mentioned this. She said it could be thyroid or cushing's, but to monitor for now.

Has this happened to anyone? What was the cause?
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Cause of Undercoat Not Filling In?

Post by sixchows »

had the opposite with our 7 year old female. she a normal full coat but after her surgery to remove her uterus she turned into a hair monster
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tabate45 »

My 4 yr old male did the same thing. We have had a very hard winter and he has a summer type coat. Winter undercoat never came in. His mane is also horrible (looks like cotton) and his tail is very sparse. I have no idea what is causing this either. No scratching or dandruff. He is an indoor kinda guy, so he's not subjected to the cold any longer than he wants to be.Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Tracey and Coal Bear
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

I certainly haven't been able to figure anything out. She is on prozac for anxiety and has been since August--I will ask the vet if that might have an effect.