Fostering an Intact Male - Help!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Fostering an Intact Male - Help!

Post by CocoLeBear »

Hi All - The local pound got in a stray intact blue chow, about 5 years old. He had apparently been hit by a car and needed a foster (pound doesn't provide that kind of medical care). I took him in and it is my first time with an intact male!

First off, he is incredibly calm and sweet. But he lifts his leg everywhere--like Petco which is mortifying (not in the house, of course). Once he is well, he will be neutered - will this stop? A trainer suggested a belly band.

He is presently babygated in my kitchen with a little exercise pen for his "den". He and my spayed female have gotten along really well through the babygate. She is generally not dog friendly but really seems to be warming up to him. If/when they are introduced beyond the gate (which would only happen with a professional trainer), do I need to be worried about him humping her? Sorry, this is completely foreign to me.

What else do I need to know about an intact male? This is so foreign to me!

BTW, the shelter called him Grizz so I named him Grizzly Bear. I will post a picture later on -- he is a major cutie!
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Fostering an Intact Male - Help!

Post by CocoLeBear »

I forgot to add--this is my first time managing two dogs in a house, and while it is going reasonably well, I am not sure on who gets let out first in the morning, who gets fed first, who gets walked first, etc. I was reading another thread and it was suggested to rotate the order. Is that what most people do? I want this to be a positive experience for everyone. Thankfully, I can stand by the babygate and give attention to both at the same time!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

1st off, congrats to you. Can't wait to see the photos.

Marking is a trait of the intact male. From my experience I can tell you to avoid ANY vertical structures outside his normal spaces. Don't be too embarrassed by it, Petco and such are pretty used to it. Keep him tight on the lead and give a quick tug when he begins the dance. Won't change him looking for new opportunities, but should stop him in the moment. At 5 years of age, having him altered probably won't change his behavior a whole lot. It's ingrained at this point. Best you can do his learn the signals and go back to that quick tug. No stopping on wall corners or display stands. Keep him back a few feet. Marking is a territorial issue, and for some reason he will never run out of ammo...just when you think he couldn't possibly, he will.

I wouldn't worry too much about humping if your female is spayed. A male dog humping when there is no female in heat is asserting dominance, its not a necessarily a mating ritual. As long as you introduce them on equal ground they should be OK. I would try to introduce them without the gate, but keep each on a lead so you can control the distance. Keep an eye out for signs of aggression (growling, teeth baring, etc). They may try to play which is OK, but you will have your own tolerance for the degree of roughness that you can allow. My wife gets upset with the sniffing that goes on, while I consider it fairly normal. Just your tolerance level or what you want to allow.
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

Thank you so much for the advice! I have started to learn to keep on eye on him in Petco, etc. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if he had to stay home, but I have wanted to keep these outings on his radar so he stays chill and socialized to these experiences. And of course I will hope he loses that marking habit after he is neutered!!
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Thanks so much for fostering this boy. I agree with Rorys dad, keep him on a short lead and away from anything that he can lift his leg on. Going to Petco is great for him. If he does get the chance to lift his leg just tell one of the associates and explain he is a rescue you are working with. I'm sure they will understand. If you can keep him moving or interested in treats (take some chicken with you) it will keep his mind off marking.

Good luck!

Laura
Attachments
Micah B&W.jpg
Micah B&W.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 7590 times
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

photo (21).JPG
photo (21).JPG (142.92 KiB) Viewed 7578 times
I have tried to attach two pictures, I hope it works!
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

photo (25).JPG
photo (25).JPG (85.72 KiB) Viewed 7578 times
Okay here is the second one.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

He is beautiful! Bless you for caring for him!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Aww, he is a handsome boy.

If I missed that directive in my post, Maikinda said it...don't hesitate to socialize him. Petco and the other box stores are a great opportunity to get him out and meeting people and the other dogs. As an unaltered male he is going to want to claim territory, but its not the end of the world. Keep him in check and watch for the signals. It can be pretty quick and sometimes sneaky, but if that leg starts to go up give him a quick tug. I just had my male at the vets office today, and had to coordinate with our female. Momentum...no stopping...keep the lead tight and head away from anything vertical.

You'll do fine.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

What a pretty boy! I'm sure he will make someone a great friend.

Laura
Attachments
Micah B&W.jpg
Micah B&W.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 7549 times
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

as far as the humping he may but it won't be *Censored Word*. males also do this to show dominance. sometimes even male to male and no it's not gay it's just dominance.
our boys were neutered at six months and never humped.
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

just another thought...being a stray maybe he's trying to not get "lost" again.
and sadly don't forget these "strays" don't always run away. I think most times they're kicked out for their bad traits. in grizz's case that may be peeing on everything.
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

He is a handsome boy, love the expression on that second pic, don't you wonder what's in their heads = :
You've probably considered a "pack walk" with you walking your female along with someone else walking Grizzly. & switching off. Has always worked for me & of course watch them carefully while together for the first few weeks. Kudos for fostering this guy & I hope the dogs will be able to coexist peacefully soon.
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

Thanks for all the input!! That second picture is his right after I got him for the pound--he hopped right up in the backseat and I got that pic!

Walks together are definitely on the agenda but he ended up coming down with kennel cough (no surprise there) so he is recovering from that (plus his fracture). Even given his ailments, he was super excited to go out for his daily (but short) walk today! It will be exciting to see more of his personality as he continues to decompress/heal, etc.

Now here is a question--this boy has always been pretty lovable. A few times a day I come in the kitchen and just sit on the ground with him--give a scratch, belly rub, or just give him his space. A few times after I come in the kitchen after being away for a few hours, he seems to want more attention and kind of puts his paws on me for a hug. Now, there is no humping going on whatsoever and I have certainly known other dogs to do this (and it seems to me to just want some attention). Just wanted I check in to make sure this isn't some sort o pre-humping behavior that I should discourage. I am familiar with "humpers" and this certainly is not that.
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

probably not, none of my 3 males did that, they would hug though. and my one female xena would hug me every time she saw me.
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

Thanks for the reassurance. Please let me know if anyone has had a different experience. Just want to make sire I am not fostering an unwanted behavior!