Please help!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Cheryl40
Rank 0
Rank 0

Please help!

Post by Cheryl40 »

Good day:). I am the proud owner of a adorable female chow chow. I took her for a shave for the first time, but since she has been back, her behaviour is not the same:( She hardly goes outside. She licks herself constantly, and it seems like she is out of sorts? It is 3 days now that she is not herself, what can I do?
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Please help!

Post by tabate45 »

Well first off, you don't shave or close cut a chow. They have their coat for a reason. Keeps them cool in summer and warm in winter. If you have indeed shaved her, that is why she is out of sorts...she's miserable. She is suseptible to sunburn, bug bites, etc. She is defenseless to the elements, that is why she won't go outside. Her fur will take months and months to grow back in properly. You might go to a pet store and get her a light coat to wear when outside to protect her from the sun. Their skin burns very easy and they will just lick off any type of sunscreen you might apply. Keep her out of the heat, or cold, as she cannot regulate her body temperature. These dogs are very proud animals and being shaved is, well......quite tramatic.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

What kind of shave? Do you mean you shaved her completely?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Well, it's like Tabate said, if you had her shaved, then no wonder she is uncomfortable, scratching, and not wanting to go outside.

A chow should NEVER be shaved down. It is their environmental blanket, and it is also a defensive tool in the event that they are attacked by another animal. What would make you think this was a good idea? "Proud Owner"? Seriously? The chows fur and mane are one of their most distinguishable features. Why on earth would you take that away from her? Please tell us she was a rescue and matted beyond repair or had contracted an incurable case of mange.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I hope the 'proud owner's' chow had her chow shaven because the fur was matted and the dog was a rescue. 'proud' owners groom their chows for the fur not to mat.
There is plenty of info online and book stores to help dog owners find the best diet, groomers etc.
To the owner of the shave chow, I suggest to take the chow to an experienced chow vet or groomer and find out how to treat the skin/fur from now on. Maybe a herbal lotion can soothe the chow's discomfort. Camomile flowers boiled in water and applied to the chow's coat may help stop the itch. Definitely no bathing. Those who shave their chows often bathe their chows a lot too.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Your dog may be scratching because of the close clip or just because they feel different without all the coat. You could check with your vet if it becomes too bad and see if they think Benedryl would help. Baths in a oatmeal shampoo may help with itching also. Just be sure that any shampoo you use does not have any fragrance in it.

I'm think that some of the replies have been more critical than helpful. I thought this forum was hear so people could get help. There are so many reasons that this dog could have been cut short. If he wasn't loved I don't think he would have been at the groomer or the owner would have been asking for help from this forum.

I hope your dog is feeling better!

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 4681 times