Brutus wins his first major:)

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

We had a very nice time this weekend winning a major toward his CH. This is our very first time being in 1 and had to win over 4 beautiful male chows. Majors are so hard to get around here but thanks to everyone we are trying hard to build them. Nothing in group, but had fun.

Last edited by 612guy on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brutus
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Brutus wins his first major:)

Post by Laura »

Congratulations Brutus!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Yay Team Brutus! =D= Great work 612guy! Did you take a picture on the podium with him?
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Cindy, yes we got our picture with the judge to remember the day. I'll post it after I get it.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Congratulations to you and Brutus. He looks great hanging out in the Groups. Should be a regular event.

Majors are tough to come by for Chows, so nice to have that 1st one out of the way. Keep networking and building those shows. It took Rory until the very end to get his 2nd. Lots of broken entries and relying on some crossover wins to get it done. Brutus will get there and you both deserve it, so keep at it.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

This is the biggest podium Brutus has been on for a win photo. We've come so far not to finish.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Very Nice! Brutus looks fantastic... Rory's Dad is right. Chicago would be fun!
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. I like sharing our story that started out as a far fetch idea that just might happen. More shows in a couple weeks with majors both days so we're crossing our fingers. To become an AKC Champion a dog needs 15 points with 2 Majors. Brutus now has 10 points and 1 major.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

That 2nd major will be the toughest. Get that out of the way and then singles or 2pt shows will be easy.

Best of wishes to you and Brutus. It will happen.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Thanks for your encouragement Rory's Dad. Most people don't really know how hard it is to finish a chow in the US these days. We are hoping for the best next weekend in Mason City, Iowa because who knows when the next chance to get Brutus his second major. Either way, we are going to have as much fun as possible because that is why we started.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Good Luck! I understand what you mean. It is extremely tough to get enough chows together at the same show for a major. Then you have to hope for a judge that favors your particular type of chow. It can be extremely frustrating if people back out or will not show to a particular judge. I understand why they do it... but I do not think it is fair to expect us to show up only to judges that favor their dogs either.

(of course I am biased and think Chance is absolutely perfect... just waiting until all the judges get on board with my way of thinking...) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keep us posted!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

You are so right Cindy.

I started in this 'show thing' 2 1/2 years ago when Rory was eligible at 6 months. I have owned Chows for over 15 years, Rory was our 3rd male, but the 1st with any sort of show potential (and that was in my eyes, the breeder wasn't fond of him, favoring a larger, bulkier dog). We felt we were done with dogs after our prior two had to be put down within 6 months of each other. Our 14 year old daughter wanted a new pup, and didn't ask for a cute Chow pup, but rather asked who would protect her at home. It sold us and we started searching. By luck and pure timing we found a local Chow breeder. We chose Rory out of the litter based on his instant bond with my wife. They were bonded from the 1st meeting, and we had no ideas about showing at that time. (we have since been told repeatedly that if they knew we were going to show, they would have steered us away from Rory.)

After getting Rory home, I did my normal thing and started researching Chows (including this site of course), and taking photos of Rory. He always seemed to take a great photo and really had an appearance similar to past AKC Champs... so I started thinking. I contacted a PDH since I had no idea what 'shows' were all about. She didn't have any familiarity with chows, but pointed us in the direction of someone who did. So a few calls later and we agreed to meet so she could assess Rory, and she was optimistic. Rory then went away for 2 long weeks to develop a bond and learn the basics (my wife cried when I made that decision).

So, back onto point...at that 1st visit to a show site, we met other Chow owners. They fawned over the puppy (Rory), and said how great he looked, asked about his pedigree and background and were very hospitable. We decided to give the show thing a try. Rory took pts in his 1st 4 shows (Puppy Class). We figured this was easy. And then something funny happened. Almost none of those folks would talk to us. We heard whispers that we shouldn't be showing him. They stopped entering their dogs. We spent a year entering shows with no points at stake. Seems they were only interested in entering shows when they KNEW they would win and were selecting places they knew we wouldn't enter and with judges favorable to their dogs.

We even drove 6 hours each way for a Specialty Show in Upstate NY just to find entries. (It was great btw).

Moving forward, I spent time at these non-point shows making contacts. There was another local group of Chow enthusiasts who had met with the same issues. I got Amber. We had enough dogs to make the entries into pt producers. We had to work together and co-ordinate when we could enter, but it was progress. Chow entry numbers were on the rise. Rory's breeder actually started to show some of her other dogs (admittedly with a few frustrating no-shows). Amber probably wont compete for her CH, but the ring time and handling (my daughter is showing her) is great for her overall temperament and socialization.

Rory finished his CH at the end of August. A lot longer road than we originally planned, but a ton of good has come out of it. I now sit on the Board of our local Chow Club. We are competing with 'the others' for AKC recognition. We have a group that is really committed to advancing the breed, not only in the show ring, but as a breed in general. We had an entry at Westminster last year (Rory is eligible, but I don't know about the $). We will be sponsoring a Meet the Breed event, hosting a Hospitality Room at the Nationals, and offering a breakfast room at Eukenuba.

Networking and communication is key to getting our Chows the recognition they deserve. Nobody can get the CH without the majors. So unless you can get 4-5 class dogs/bitches entered you are chasing your tails. Support the local Chow Chow Clubs and try to influence them to support the shows. The competition and secretive elements with Chow owners is something I haven't seen with other breeds. Hopefully that is a localized problem here. Both 612 and Cindy seem to have involved breeders and that helps.

Wow, what a rant. Would love to see both of you finish up your dogs. Perhaps we meet up at Nationals. That would be nice. Head to head to head with Rory, Brutus, and Chance for the title...that would rattle the judges since I don't think there is a ton of difference amongst them and they have a similar look/style/build.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Great news to report from this weekend, Brutus won his second major today. I was very happy and couldn't believe it when the judge pointed at me saying we won.

Rory's Dad is right about networking and communication is the key in showing chows but it's the friendships I've made along the way that are priceless. It's also pretty cool that Brutus has done so well being an open face chow. Most show chows are closed faced and before showing I've never seen one.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Congrats to both you and Brutus. The hardest part is done. A 2 pt win or a couple singles gets it done. I am still amazed with the patience you have shown with Brutus and his ring time. You probably avoided that in-between year I spoke about earlier with the no point entries and wasted entry fees, travel costs.

Keep up those networking connections to finish Brutus and maybe even compete for GCH points.

Still thinking a meet up at Nationals would be great.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Congratulations on the 2nd Major! Brutus will have his CH in no time.

We have stalled out. Our last two weekends only had two chows entered. It really is no fun showing against the same couple of dogs; one per show. Hopefully Austin will have at least three dogs. Not enough for a major, but enough for a point or two. *sigh*

We may take a break and save up to travel to some Colorado shows for larger entries.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Cindy, its definitely difficult. I figured i'd save you the time and copied Rory's show record. Every "A" is where he was the only Chow entered or there weren't enough entries to make it worthwhile with the exception of 2 shows where we pulled him because he had a very slight knee injury...

Record Lookup for: Eastway's Ruaidhri Of Mansfield (Chow Chow)*

Result Code Legend - Disclaimer - Close Window

SHOW

DATE

JUDGE

CLASS

RESULT

Troy Kennel Club, Inc. 04/07/2012 Dr. John A. Reeve-Newson Puppy, 6-9 Mo Dogs 1/W/B/BW
Trap Falls Kennel Club, Inc. 04/08/2012 Mr. Kent H. Delaney Puppy, 6-9 Mo Dogs 1/W/B
Springfield Kennel Club, Inc. 04/20/2012 Michael Gelinas Puppy, 6-9 Mo Dogs 1/W/BP/PG4
Pioneer Valley Kennel Club, Inc. 04/21/2012 Mr. Gary L. Andersen Puppy, 6-9 Mo Dogs 1/W
South Windsor Kennel Club 04/22/2012 Mrs. Arlene F. Benko Puppy, 6-9 Mo Dogs 1/W
Ladies' Dog Club, Inc. 06/02/2012 Mrs. Inge Semenschin Puppy, 9-12 Mo Dogs 1/R
Framingham District Kennel Club, Inc. 06/03/2012 Michael Shoreman Puppy, 9-12 Mo Dogs 1/W/BW
Naugatuck Valley Kennel Club 07/04/2012 Ms. Grace M. Fritz Puppy, 9-12 Mo Dogs A
Naugatuck Valley Kennel Club 07/05/2012 Mr. Rodney E. Herner Puppy, 9-12 Mo Dogs A
Kenilworth Kennel Club Of Connecticut, Inc. 07/06/2012 Ms. Peggy L. Lloyd Puppy, 9-12 Mo Dogs A
Farmington Valley Kennel Club, Inc. 07/07/2012 Ms. Denny C. Mounce Puppy, 9-12 Mo Dogs A
Holyoke Kennel Club, Inc. 07/08/2012 Mr. Lawrence C. Terricone Puppy, 9-12 Mo Dogs A
Newtown Kennel Club, Inc. 08/23/2012 Mr. Luis F. Sosa Puppy, 9-12 Mo Dogs A
Northwestern Connecticut Dog Club, Inc. 08/24/2012 Ms. Mary A. Miller Puppy, 9-12 Mo Dogs A
Newtown Kennel Club, Inc. 08/25/2012 Mr. Rafael Malo Alcrudo Puppy, 9-12 Mo Dogs A
Elm City Kennel Club 08/26/2012 Mrs. Arlene F. Benko Puppy, 9-12 Mo Dogs A
Cape Cod Kennel Club, Inc. 09/13/2012 Mr. Robert R. Frost Puppy, 12-18 Mo Dogs A
South Shore Kennel Club, Inc. 09/14/2012 Miss Virginia L. Lyne Puppy, 12-18 Mo Dogs 1/W/B
South Shore Kennel Club, Inc. 09/15/2012 Mr. Norman L. Patton Puppy, 12-18 Mo Dogs A
Cape Cod Kennel Club, Inc. 09/16/2012 Philip Capozzolo Puppy, 12-18 Mo Dogs A
Great Barrington Kennel Club, Inc. 02/02/2013 Mr. Richard G. Beauchamp (DECEASED) Puppy, 12-18 Mo Dogs 1/W/B
Great Barrington Kennel Club, Inc. 02/03/2013 Mrs. Peggy J. Hauck Puppy, 12-18 Mo Dogs JUDG
Troy Kennel Club, Inc. 04/06/2013 Mrs. Toby B. Frisch Open, Red Dogs A
Trap Falls Kennel Club, Inc. 04/07/2013 Mr. Rodney E. Herner Open, Red Dogs A
Springfield Kennel Club, Inc. 04/19/2013 Mrs. Polly (Mrs. Robert) D. Smith Open Dogs 1/W/OS
Pioneer Valley Kennel Club, Inc. 04/20/2013 Mrs. Susan M. Carr Open Dogs 1/W/BW/OS
South Windsor Kennel Club 04/21/2013 Mr. Kenneth A. Buxton Open Dogs 1/W/BW/OS
South County Kennel Club, Inc. (BREED/OBED #1) 04/27/2013 Mr. Robin L. Stansell Open Dogs A
South County Kennel Club, Inc. 04/28/2013 Mrs. Monica Canestrini Open Dogs A
Vacationland Dog Club, Inc. 05/16/2013 Mr. Roland L. Pelland Open Dogs PKG SHOW NO DATA AVAIL
York County Kennel Club Of Maine 05/17/2013 Allan Brown Open Dogs PKG SHOW NO DATA AVAIL
Vacationland Dog Club, Inc. 05/18/2013 Mr. Michael J. Dachel (DECEASED) Open Dogs PKG SHOW NO DATA AVAIL
York County Kennel Club Of Maine 05/19/2013 Mrs. Rita J. Rynder Open Dogs PKG SHOW NO DATA AVAIL
Ladies' Dog Club, Inc. 06/01/2013 Lawrence E. Stanbridge (DECEASED) Open, Red Dogs A
Ladies' Dog Club, Inc. 06/02/2013 Mr. Randy E. Garren Open, Red Dogs A
Hockamock Kennel Club, Inc. 06/29/2013 Ms. Elizabeth Muthard Open Dogs 1/R
Wampanoag Kennel Club, Inc. 06/30/2013 Ms. Marge B. Calltharp Open, Red Dogs 1/R
Naugatuck Valley Kennel Club 07/03/2013 Ms. Sharon R. Lyons Open, Red Dogs 1/W/BW/OS
Holyoke Kennel Club, Inc. 07/04/2013 Mrs. Elaine J. Lessig Open, Red Dogs 1/W/OS
Kenilworth Kennel Club Of Connecticut, Inc. 07/05/2013 Col. Joe B. Purkhiser Open, Red Dogs A
Farmington Valley Kennel Club, Inc. 07/06/2013 Mrs. Patricia (Pat) Hastings Open, Red Dogs 1/R
Naugatuck Valley Kennel Club 07/07/2013 Mrs. Anne K. Catterson Open, Red Dogs 1/R
South Shore Kennel Club, Inc. 09/13/2013 Mrs. Ann D. Hearn Open Dogs 1/R
South Shore Kennel Club, Inc. 09/14/2013 Mrs. Molly Martin Open Dogs 1/R
Cape Cod Kennel Club, Inc. 09/15/2013 Mr. Timothy S. Robbins Open Dogs 1/W/BW/OS
Longshore-southport Kennel Club, Inc. 09/20/2013 Mr. Ralph (Sonny) Ambrosio Open Dogs 1/R
Ox Ridge Kennel Club (BREED/OBED #1) 09/21/2013 Ms. Sharon R. Lyons Open Dogs 1/R
Albany Kennel Club, Inc. 10/19/2013 Allan Brown Open, Red Dogs 1/W/BW/OS
Troy Kennel Club, Inc. 10/20/2013 Mrs. Thora P. Brown Open, Red Dogs 1/W/OS
Worcester County Kennel Club 11/30/2013 Mr. Robert D. Ennis Open Dogs 1/W/BW/OS
Worcester County Kennel Club 12/01/2013 Mr. David L. Kittredge Open Dogs 1/W/BW/OS
Great Barrington Kennel Club, Inc. 02/01/2014 Mrs. Carol Kniebusch Noe Open, Red Dogs 1/W/BW/OS
Great Barrington Kennel Club, Inc. 02/02/2014 Mrs. Dennis (Mary Lou) Kniola Open, Red Dogs A
South County Kennel Club, Inc. (Breed/Obed #1) 04/26/2014 Mr. David L. Kittredge Open Dogs 3
South County Kennel Club, Inc. 04/27/2014 Ms. Janet M. Allen Open Dogs 3
Ladies' Dog Club, Inc. 05/31/2014 Mrs. Charlotte P. Patterson Open, Red Dogs A
Ladies' Dog Club, Inc. 06/01/2014 Miss Virginia L. Lyne Open, Red Dogs 3
Newtown Kennel Club, Inc. 08/21/2014 Mrs. Paul (Beth) Lachnitt Open, Red Dogs 1/W/BW
Northwestern Connecticut Dog Club, Inc. 08/22/2014 Mr. David L. Kittredge Open, Red Dogs 1/W/BW
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Cindy, My only suggestion is at your next show on Saturday, ask all the other chow owners if they want to go out for lunch or dinner afterward depend on what time you're showing. Our last shows the breeder asked everyone and everyone came. I was told that is how it use to be and it made it way more fun. The key is asking everyone while they are about to go in the ring and not afterwards because everyone scatters plus nobody knows the results yet.

Brutus
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

This was Brutus just before last weeks show. Sorry for my finger in the way but I took the picture with my phone.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

We will be sponsoring a Meet the Breed event, hosting a Hospitality Room at the Nationals, and offering a breakfast room at Eukenuba.
... So, we are thinking about entering Chance at Eukenuba in the National Owner Handler Series. He squeaked in with a 10th place qualifying position. It would be a "just for fun" type entry for him.

http://www.apps.akc.org/apps/ohs/points ... /index.cfm

Are either of you going to be there?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Haven't really thought that far ahead Cindy, but probably a long shot for us. Still considering Westminster just for the experience and leaning heavily toward Nationals in March. Euk just may be a budget buster.
Last edited by Rory's Dad on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Congrats on being 10th on the list filled with mostly chows that have either their Ch or GCH title already. I did get the entry form for Eukanuba last week in the mail but will have save that trip for another year.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

I have time to think about it. The breeder will be there and they always give me tons of guidance. . I am still up in the air about that weekend as well as nationals. Long distances to travel for gaining experience. But, if I can work out the details we will probably go
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

We just got the photo from Brutus's 2nd major because we moved this summer and it was sent to our old address. The photo doesn't have the ribbon because i didn't have it with me at the time. No shows since but will update when he gets his Ch.

Brutus