3rd day in new home and not eating

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

3rd day in new home and not eating

Post by alicehuang830 »

Hi all,
I just brought my puppy home on Labor day, he was nervous the 1st night but didn't have trouble eating till this morning. I am still feeding what the breeder was feeding him. I live in Texas and its been pretty hot and he had upset stomach this morning but would still go on his walks. Today he has been laying around sleeping alot which is a bit different than past few days. Any suggestions or advice?

thank you
Alice
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 3rd day in new home and not eating

Post by Cindy J »

Have you had a chance to take your new puppy in for his first checkup? The heat might be a factor, but I would rule out parasites. You might want to add a few yummy things to his food to entice him to eat. I will often stir in something like a couple bites of scrambled eggs.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alicehuang830 »

Thanks Cindy~ I will try that.
I have an appointment with vet this saturday, i think he is fine health wise..... he did start to eat a little throughout the day. Not sure if its his teeth, i bought him a toy to chew on and he ignored it for few days now he is chewing on it. By the way, I got Romeo from Dreamland! :D
chow315

Post by chow315 »

not to scare you but i would get him to a vetasap. i lost a puppy to parvo almost overnight. he had similiar symptoms
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

I just noticed that you posted again shortly after I did. How is Romeo doing now? Are you getting settled into a routine?
alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alicehuang830 »

Cindy,
yes, he is doing great! thanks for checking :) I think Romeo was just nervous because of the new environment, we added a little bit of wet food when he wasn't eating a full cup and he chowed it right down :) He also started teething, we got him some toys, antler to chew on. He can keep himself very occupied with those and stayed away from furniture and shoes!
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Great! Once I read which breeder that you got him from, I was not as concerned about parasites.
Chow Tribe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow Tribe »

Great for Romeo;chows are a sensitive dog.
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

This might be a sign of some illnesses, if you can, please bring her to the vet. Another possibility is having a sensitive stomach or the food you're feeding her doesn't suit her anymore. What do you feed her? Her appetite or her reactions to the food you used to feed her might have been changed after giving birth. Hopefully, this article can help you http://hubpages.com/animals/Choosing-th ... ve-Stomach