Leash help

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Nala'sMommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Leash help

Post by Nala'sMommy »

Nala is getting bigger and stronger. She still isn't good at walking on a leash without pulling me. I've tried keeping the leash short, and I've made her sit before we could continue. These aren't really working much anymore. She gets so excited and really wants to see people.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Leash help

Post by chowpups »

I have had great success with the Easy Walk Harness made by Petsafe for my 70 lb golden retriever who also likes to greet everyone! Wish I knew about it when I had my chow ! We tried it on in the store and they told us to go walk down the sidewalk (cause the store floors are slippery) and what a difference! We got it in a Petstore not sure where you live but maybe google it?
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I second Nancy's recommendation of the Easy Walk harness. Cocoa was a terrible puller (still can be sometimes) and the easy walk really made a difference. She is better now so most of the time I just use the collar and leash but there are certain situations when I still use it.
Lady Phoenix
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lady Phoenix »

Ive always been a bigger fan of a harness as opposed to a collar. Im a great believer that chains/collars pull on the neck whereas Im told that all a harness does is gently pulls the front legs together. Very subtle movements, much like when you are riding a horse.

Anyway, did a quick web search and found this youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QEM9zl4ngs

Im amazed

We were going to seek advice on a leash when our pup is ready but I think we have found our man, so to speak.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

That video is just like our harness! I've tried a harness that clipped the leash on the back that did nothing but the clip for the leash on the front chest really worked!
Good luck to you both!
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Leash help

Post by TyChowgirl »

I also use easy walk. It's great because it gives them no leverage to pull whereas a normal harness is set up for them to use their whole body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nala'sMommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Leash help

Post by Nala'sMommy »

Thank y'all!! Sounds like easy walk is the group decision! :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Harnesses are best. I will never forget when one of our first two chows slipped her collar - don't know how it happened - when we were walking along having met our granddaughters from school. Fred had hold of Mabel and I was walking behind with Milly and I noticed the collar was trailing on the ground! Heart stopping moment I can tell you. Alerted Fred with my heart in my mouth and we both very slowly stooped and held Mabel and repositioned the collar. When we got home and ushered girls and chows into the house I immediately drove down to the local "Pets at Home" and bought two harnesses. :roll:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
missjulie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by missjulie »

I know the harness will help a lot, but even better if you combine it with a few techniques. My trainer taught me to immediately stop when she tugs, make the loud sound (indicating no), and just stand there until she realizes we're not going anywhere so long as there's tension on the leash. It makes for a very long walk, so try it for a short distance and have a lot of patience. When she's walking right, praise her or give a small treat as she's walking right.

The other trick is if she pulls, go with it and turn right back around so that you're going the other way and the dog ends up behind you and you're leading. This releases tension on the leash as well. I know chows have a reputation for being stubborn, but they're so smart. Whatever she likes, bribe her with it and after a few months she'll get it for sure. When I took Bunny to training class, she hated it, we probably would've flunked the beginner class but got a pity pass. I retook the class and now she's great at walking on a leash! Only with me though, she still tugs everyone else around. They kind of know who they can pull lol! :lol:
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Harness it should be. Or whatever you may call it.
Body leash
Halter
etc. as long as the leash wraps around the body and the leash connects at the back. That's like having power steering
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

I'm with Miss Julie. Took months but my Chow finally realized that when he pulled & I stopped saying "No Pull" & waited - we were going nowhere until he walked "Easy". There were times and still are (if something in the neighborhood is making him nervous) that we stop & wait several times. I always tell him "Good Easy" in my best Chow loving voice when he is doing well.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Harness, leash/collar, really doesn't matter both have positive and negative values.

For the pulling, just get a longer leash, combine a few, when they start to pull, drop the leash and step on it, don't say anything. If you need to walk up the leash to shorten it for tighter control or you want them to lie down it is easy without stress to either party. Stop talk to people if they are near, then when you want to go, pick up the leash and continue, with the extra trailing behind you. This transfers the physics from you to the chow (you lose) down from the chow to the ground (chow loses). Constantly pulling is pointless, same principle applies to something like a horse, humans lose every time, so you need to swap the physics. After a while, you can go anywhere, without issue, even if they see a critter, we trained ours this way and helped many others do the same and the good news is your never the bad guy in this. At this point ours just wander a head when off leash and then stop and wait for us, assuming we will stand on the 'invisible' leash.

Try it, you will be pleasantly surprised, even a little kid can walk your chow this way. ;)