The vet prescribed Bactrim..

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

eternalsunshine
Rank 0
Rank 0

The vet prescribed Bactrim..

Post by eternalsunshine »

Let me preface this by saying I am utterly ignorant about dogs because I've never owned one. I got Britney, my 5 month old chow, three months ago. The previous owner wasn't prompt with the vaccinations so when I took her to the vet, he told me we had to start the shots all over again but he couldn't do it that day because Britney had a runny nose. Every time I took her to the vet, it was the same story (I couldn't take her to other vets because I don't own a car and had no way to transport her). About 4 weeks ago, she vomited her dog food (the food was barely digested, still looked solid for the most part) and when I told the vet, he advised me to monitor her because it may have been just the large amount of food she ate in a short time. So I did and she was fine. About a week ago, she vomited bile and the vet told me it was just an empty stomach and she was fine after so I didn't worry. About two days ago, she started pooping frequently and they were mostly liquid (diarrhea) then that night, her stool contained some blood. I was really, really worried because that couldn't be good, could it? I took her to the vet and he told me it was just diarrhea and it was normal for dogs to have some blood in the stool because of the straining, I told him I would gladly give him Britney's stool sample so he can check what was wrong and he told me there was no need (WTF?) and prescribed Cotrimoxazole (Bactrim) syrup and that she should take 5 mL twice a day. Is this safe for my dog? I know I should change vets because he seems very dismissive of her condition. I mean, not taking a stool sample? What if she has parvo virus or something similar? Can anyone who has experienced giving Bactrim to a dog tell me if it worked? I am very worried, I love my girl so much.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The vet prescribed Bactrim..

Post by Pinoy51 »

please find another vet !!!.
maybe you can search help of a local rescue organization to arrange transport.
the first advise (vomitting) was okay, but there's nothing normal anymore in irregular stool containing blood.
it is largely ignorant of your vet not to have blood test done and stool sample taken.
I'm not aware of the medicine he pre-scribed, but giving it without proper diagnosis just doesn't sound right.
I can only recommend to find someone who deserves the title veterinarian.
Best regards
Pinoy51
eternalsunshine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eternalsunshine »

Pinoy51 wrote:please find another vet !!!.
maybe you can search help of a local rescue organization to arrange transport.
the first advise (vomitting) was okay, but there's nothing normal anymore in irregular stool containing blood.
it is largely ignorant of your vet not to have blood test done and stool sample taken.
I'm not aware of the medicine he pre-scribed, but giving it without proper diagnosis just doesn't sound right.
I can only recommend to find someone who deserves the title veterinarian.
Hello Pinoy51! I was planning to find a way to take her to another vet but the diarrhea stopped and her stool returned to normal. She's very lively and energetic now. I will go to the vet again tomorrow to ask if I should stop the the medicine since she seems to be recovering (and I'm fearful of overdosing/side effects) and I will insist that he check her stool and her body thoroughly. Thank you for your reply.
chow315

Post by chow315 »

please check for a pancreas disorder. it seems similar to what 1 of my dogs had. they did a blood test and then started on pancreatic enzymes VERY EXPENSIVE AND TIME CONSUMING.you mix the enzymes with warm water let sit for 20 minutes put the food in then let sit another 20 minutes.it can be difficult to treat.